Paul Lambert

limpid

Nope, no excuses.

Yes it has taken us three years to build a squad most would do in 18 months, but now we have that squad, the excuses stop.

Who's ever built a squad in 18 months?

He always needed to be given 3 years when he arrived.

Yep, I meant first team. Perhaps 18 months is still too much, a team could certainly be put together in two years though.

Nope, no excuses.

Yes it has taken us three years to build a squad most would do in 18 months, but now we have that squad, the excuses stop.

True, and this year so far so good.

When I looked at Lambert I saw someone who was fresh to management, who still needed to learn his trade.

Throughout the years I think he's made some mistakes but I also feel he's learnt from them and become a better manager because of it, this is one of the reasons managers do need time.

Examples of this are the introduction of a honest, player connection in Keane and the removal of two divisive coaches, non performing players being replaced or moved on (though that took him a while), building bridges with the bomb squad, generally good transfer dealings, changing the formation at the right time and not looking back, and a desire to play passing football even if when desperate to relieve pressure we do fall back on long ball's.

I think over 2 years Lambert has become a better manager, I hope his development culminates in success not just for the club but for him too. We'll find out a few things over this year while contracts are being negotiated, pressure increases in the next month or so and the club might get sold, I am optimistic we won't be battling to survive.

Someone asked whether they'd keep Lambert if the club was sold to a filthy rich sort, if we have a decent year I definitely would, stability is always important no matter how big you get.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay
  • Like 2

His biggest problems was picking up points when either Vlaar or Benteke was out. We picked up 1 point in the 5 games Vlaar was out for, and the last 7 games without Benteke...when most of us thought we were safe after beating Chelsea, we picked up 4. Half our losses were in them phases we just didn't have the players to cover it, especially when Benteke was out as Kozak was already out.

Lambert almost stared with a clean slate with the squad. He's spent less than £40 million net to build this squad. He's made mistakes, horrendous mistakes, but I believe he's learning from them.

As for the entertaining football, well I've been following Villa for 25 years I think we've only played good football under Big Ron for 2 years, Brian Little for 2 years and 1 year under O'Leary. What matters is winning games. That's what ultimately entertains us. If we win most games 1-0 like the Stoke game, I will be very happy with that.

I think our home form is tragic, but then it's been like that for years. We are a nice place to come. Great pitch, big pitch (which is why we have better luck with big teams away) inconsistent crowds. I can't see this changing soon.

I think people are putting way too much pressure on him and the side at the moment. I kinda did it myself a few pages back, but in reality a nice comfortable 13th place will do fine.

50 points should be the target. League position following that is almost irrelevant.

• Like 1

Winning is the most important thing.....but to sustain that winning, you need substance and that's where you build your style in to the game and that usually means playing football.

Then and only then are you building a football team as opposed to just surviving.

Imagine if we'd got a top winger like Andre Ayew in:

Grealish Benteke Ayew

Ahead of our midfield and defence would be a really strong team. Fingers crossed we'll get someone like that in Jan.

Grealish still needs time for me, he has the ability but this season is his introduction and not throwing him the deep end.  Sub appearances, a few starts here and then when it's appropriate.  He's a talent, let's not destroy him in the first year playing him too much.

• Like 2

I read a comment from Kieran Richardson in the Mail today which I thought was quite interesting. He said; 

“We work a lot on team shape and look much more solid as a team."

You have to say that you can really notice that they are this season. The shape of the whole team moving forward and defending has been a lot better than previous years. I wonder if it has anything to do with Keane and Lambert doing training rather than Culverhouse?

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I wonder if has anything to do with Keane and Lambert doing training rather than Culverhouse?

This, absolutely and utterly this.

The negative impact of those two last season shouldn't be under estimated not only in terms of our training but also in terms of opposition drills for set pieces etc which I believe was Kersa's job to prep.

Well that's good to know. I'd love to know all the details about Culva and Karsa and what happened. Guess it will be something that never gets released to public though. 

Edited by PieFacE

One think Keane did on the pitch was organise his team, he never stopped shouting at his teamates to get into position. As I said he seems to be a great asset to Lambert on the training pitch and I'd imagine on the motivational side. 

One thing I was thinking today. If we have a good season, get taken over. Keane and Lambert get contract extensions. Is anyone slightly excited about what Lambert can do with some extra transfer funds? 

I really chalk down last summers signings to his inability to offer Premier League wages, which forced him to shop for young players abroad. 3 of whom I'd say were good signings based on what we've seen. 

I wonder if has anything to do with Keane and Lambert doing training rather than Culverhouse?

This, absolutely and utterly this.

The negative impact of those two last season shouldn't be under estimated not only in terms of our training but also in terms of opposition drills for set pieces etc which I believe was Kersa's job to prep.

I know it's early days, but I get a sense of a stronger team bond since Kersa and Culverhouse left. The dynamic has changed for the better on and off the pitch.

Were Karsa and Culverhouse always a bad influence or was it just last season? Supposedly they were crucial to Lambert's success at Norwich.

I have no doubt that they were have some sort of bad effect but I'd like to know what they were doing exactly, or was it simply a case of not doing things they should?

Edited by Mantis

Were Karsa and Culverhouse always a bad influence or was it just last season? Supposedly they were crucial to Lambert's success at Norwich.

I have no doubt that they were have some sort of bad effect but I'd like to know what they were doing exactly, or was it simply a case of not doing things they should?

I have reason to believe it went back further than last season and that Lambert wanted to do something about it far earlier than he was able/allowed to do. I don't really want to add more than that but yes there was an element of that.

Give him real money he'll be a legend for us,  if he wants to stay

He'll be patient with it too. If he gets a long term contract extension he knows slow gains and solid leage positions in the top 10 are what is needed. All we Villa fans want from the next 5 years is top 8 finishes, derby wins, few wins over the big teams and a cup run or two. Plus some good football and good home record would be a bonus. 

Give him real money he'll be a legend for us,  if he wants to stay

He'll be patient with it too. If he gets a long term contract extension he knows slow gains and solid leage positions in the top 10 are what is needed. All we Villa fans want from the next 5 years is top 8 finishes, derby wins, few wins over the big teams and a cup run or two. Plus some good football and good home record would be a bonus. 

I want a trophy to be honest.  Been far too long and i'd like to win FA cup,  call me selfish but it's the one big one ive always wanted us to win and never seen us win

• Like 2

One think Keane did on the pitch was organise his team, he never stopped shouting at his teamates to get into position. As I said he seems to be a great asset to Lambert on the training pitch and I'd imagine on the motivational side.

One thing I was thinking today. If we have a good season, get taken over. Keane and Lambert get contract extensions. Is anyone slightly excited about what Lambert can do with some extra transfer funds?

I really chalk down last summers signings to his inability to offer Premier League wages, which forced him to shop for young players abroad. 3 of whom I'd say were good signings based on what we've seen.

Depends on the season we have. At the moment, no I'm not excited to see what he does as I'd still like a change if a take over happens.

If this season is very good though that will probably change my mind and make me want to see what he could do with extra funds.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â