Paul Lambert

limpid

I think PL set the team up pretty well last night - if we took our chances (or even half of them) it would have been a stroll in the park.

Fans were calling for Bent to start and that's about all he did. Injuries/knocks meant neither Cissokho or Vlaar could be risked and I thought Baker did ok (could have done better with his headed chances) alongside Senderos.

Lambert used his squad fairly well but obviously needs Benteke and/or Kozak back sharpish as we look toothless without them.

Fair play too, for playing Grealish from the start - hopefully the lad will sign the rumoured 4yr deal that's been offered to him.

I'm putting last night down to 'one of those nights', it would be great to have another cup run but we've started the league well and have a great opportunity to get more points against Hull (who play in Europa league tonight and will have Chester missing for our match) before the international break.

I'm disappointed we're out of the league cup but still positive we can reach the dizzy heights of midtable obscurity this season!

• Like 2

so in space of 90 minutes that a weakened team lost a cup game this thread has gone from positive to negative

and people say Villa fans arent fickle ;)

We are not fickle.

Those who like Lambert generally speak out after a win, and vice versa.

• Like 1

I wasn't at the game and I haven't seen any highlights. All I know is this; it is unacceptable for a Premier League team to go out of the cups, without a whimper for three years in a row, to lower league teams. And, especially if the club's only league ambition is to avoid finishing in the bottom three places each season.

I understand resting the main 'keeper. I can also understand resting certain other players such as Vlaar, Delph, Cissokho, Gabby and Weimann because of their importance to the positions they play in. But, last night's team should have been strong enough to have won against a league one outfit and, for it to happen for the third season in a row is simply unacceptable. There's only one real common factor between the playing and management staff from all those cup defeats - Paul Lambert.

I'm not saying Lambert should be sacked, probably because I have no trust in Lerner to fill the position with anyone worthwhile, but, I am saying that Lambert needs to sort himself out and get these guys performing better than us fans have become accustomed to. It's simply not fair of him, the players or the club to keep churning out dire performances and expecting the fans to put up with it. This summer's signings are of a higher calibre than the last two seasons so the club's management needs to start making sure that the football churned out is a reflection of those higher quality signings.

Getting close to the end now. I like him and have always backed him a reasonable manager working under difficult conditions...but the shot a game thing just cant go on. I know our best forwards are injured...sure that reduces our goal threat...but it shouldn't snuff it out completely. If we convincingly beat Hull then fair play...but loose as I fear he will and questions will be asked...the protection given by Lerner in the past may not be so strong with tom fox now running the show.

Don't worry, it matters not who we lose to or how many times we lose as there will always be someone there to defend Lambert and find some lame excuse as to why it is not his fault.

• Like 1

so in space of 90 minutes that a weakened team lost a cup game this thread has gone from positive to negative

We are not fickle.

Trouble is they don't get many chances to speak out after a win do they!

• Like 1

We are not fickle.

According to the sky sports app a few villa fans had to be restrained by stewards as they went for Lambert. Quite a few boos after the whistle as well!

The goal was met with angry reactions from a group of Villa supporters behind the dugouts, a couple of whom had to be restrained by stewards as they vented their frustrations towards Lambert.

There were also some calls for the Scot's resignation as he walked down the touchline towards the tunnel after the final whistle.

Disgusting IF true.

1 fan stood up, started shouting some nonsensical rantings at Lambert, quite obviously pissed up, then got chucked out by a steward. Nothing else happened. I was in that area.

Yes there were boos at the final whistle, mainly due to the deflation from conceding at that time.

We are not fickle.

Nope, I don't buy it. We kept on attacking down the wings because we got down them time and time again. Orient couldn't deal with it. However, the final delivery was just shambolic. I counted about 15 crossed either going straight out or going into the GK's hands. I can see why we stuck with that tactic because it worked every time. We also got through the middle tonnes but we couldn't finish.

Also I saw somebody post earlier that it's Lambert's fault that Bent isn't scoring because he lowered his confidence, but it would also be Lambert's fault if he didn't play him. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle really.

The 'only 1 shot on target' is a bit misleading too because we had a few chances that went close.

As I've said, it's not good enough to be going out in the cups to lower league teams, but I feel like people are using that as a point rather than looking at this game in isolation, which in truth wasn't that bad.

But we're into our 3rd year under lambert and this is the 4th time we've been knocked out by a lower league team so not sure it should just be viewed in isolation and put all on the players.

Like i said, final delivery has been an issue for awhile so i question the effect lambert has on the training ground.  

But each game is in isolation. I've flipped this coin 10 times and it's been heads every time.

And without Lambert we would win every game.

What sort of comment is that? With a better manager we would win more often. Not too difficult to comprehend surely!

You said keeping Lambert means we would lose regularly. In our current state we will lose regularly without him.

The onus should be on the squad players who came in and were given a chance by Lambert to perform.

They failed to take that chance hence the reason they are not first-teamers*

*Although with the exception of Grealish who surely must be close to starting regularly.

• Like 1

Don't worry, it matters not who we lose to or how many times we lose as there will always be someone there to defend Lambert and find some lame excuse as to why it is not his fault.

And you'll always be here to complain when we lose but never to praise when we win, which is also lame.
Check the threads after we beat Stoke and you will find praise from me. 

You praised Lambert, or you just found "some lame excuse as to why it is not his" credit that we won?

I don't think you posted in this thread after we beat Stoke.

Would you mind quoting your post if you did?

It's clear that confidence in our front men is low. Benteke & Kozak must be eager to get back because watching that must be horrible when you know what you can do. Personally I don't know how to improve the confidence in the front men, perhaps a kick up the bum wouldn't be the worst thing giving Grealish the nod the weekend ahead of Gabby or someone like that, I feel Weimann is a striker that needs a few chances and might take one. Lambert has to get them going again as 3 points Sunday are badly needed.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â