Paul Lambert

limpid

I think what is more important than the entire budget he has had since being here, is the average spend per player.

Anybody who expected him to rebuild the squad with £40m, whilst playing attractive football and earning a position much higher up the table, has very high expectations IMO (bordering being delusional).

How about utilising and getting the best out of some of the players he inherited. How about not buying four full backs, none of whom are Premier League standard?
Bennett, Lowton and Luna. Who am I missing?

Bacuna isn't a full back even if he has played there if that is who you are counting.

I feel that the wages must be considered before criticizing Lambert for 'wasting' £40m over 2 seasons or 4 windows.

The players that he has bought have all come in on minimal wages by today's inflated standards, which at least has meant that they could be moved on quickly when surplus to requirements (eg Bowery), unlike our last crop.

It is very difficult to move the club forward whilst trying to reduce costs. I'm sure our net spend would've been less if we didn't have so many players on contracts so stupid that the only option for the player is to run it down, in the knowledge that they'll never get another like it elsewhere.

Without wanting to go too far off topic, it just frustrates me more about where we could've been if we hadn't of wasted so much money over the years 2006-2011? With a shrewd worldwide scouting system, we could easily be where Everton are now, if not higher!

• Like 1

I think what is more important than the entire budget he has had since being here, is the average spend per player.

Anybody who expected him to rebuild the squad with £40m, whilst playing attractive football and earning a position much higher up the table, has very high expectations IMO (bordering being delusional).

How about utilising and getting the best out of some of the players he inherited.  How about not buying four full backs, none of whom are Premier League standard?

Like who? The players he was told to get rid of/not use or the ones that were awful/over the hill?

Also, four full backs?! Lowton had a great first season but his second season was rifled with personal issues from what we can see. Bacuna isn't a full back if you're referring to him, so I guess that means you're nit picking over the signings of Bennett and Luna.

Like who? The players he was told to get rid of/not use or the ones that were awful/over the hill?

Also, four full backs?! Lowton had a great first season but his second season was rifled with personal issues from what we can see. Bacuna isn't a full back if you're referring to him, so I guess that means you're nit picking over the signings of Bennett and Luna.

This question probably belongs in the Lowton thread (mods - please delete if this is derailing the thread) but are his personal issues off field? Or are they a symptom of the "bullying" that saw Karsa and Culverhouse sacked?

Never saw Culverhouse or Karsa being quoted in the Birmingham Mail as much as Keane.

Most of the reports are about what Keane is proposing to do.

seems funny to me.

Has the job of assistant manager suddenly been elevated a tad at B6?

Never saw Culverhouse or Karsa being quoted in the Birmingham Mail as much as Keane.

Most of the reports are about what Keane is proposing to do.

seems funny to me.

Has the job of assistant manager suddenly been elevated a tad at B6?

No, I think it's just that Keane is a much bigger name than those two.

How about utilising and getting the best out of some of the players he inherited. How about not buying four full backs, none of whom are Premier League standard?

There is no evidence to show that lambert was told to not use anyone, especially when you see the highly paid gabby was kept in the team.

Bacuna has played the majority of his villa career at fullback so why can't he classed as a fullback? Also you are forgetting Bertrand who got progressively worse during his time here.

Finally the only problems I heard of lowton was he wanted to stay in Sheffield, there are ways to negotiate that with strong management, it is not necessarily personal problems as you put it.

Wow! That's some powerful hindsight there man

not really a lot of people said from day one that the likes of bent and nzog should have been utilised more throughout his first season

He did use the zog in his first season?? Then lost him to injury last season.

First season no need for bent as benteke smashed it. Second he went to Fulham.

Blaming Lambert for the sake of it here.

There is no evidence to show that lambert was told to not use anyone, especially when you see the highly paid gabby was kept in the team.

Bacuna has played the majority of his villa career at fullback so why can't he classed as a fullback? Also you are forgetting Bertrand who got progressively worse during his time here.

Finally the only problems I heard of lowton was he wanted to stay in Sheffield, there are ways to negotiate that with strong management, it is not necessarily personal problems as you put it.

I'm neutral to Lambert at the moment, but just want to agree with mikeyp here: there's no evidence he was told not to use anyone. It makes no sense whatsoever. Edited by AVTuco

I'm neutral to Lambert at the moment, but just want to agree with mikeyp here: there's no evidence he was told not to use anyone. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I think we can go a step further and agree that Lambert was told to move players on that were on high wages - but never to freeze players out because of it.

As you rightly state - it simply makes no sense for anyone,  including Lambert......

... so I suspect there is more to it than simply wages. Perhaps a bad attitude or, quite simply, they were not considered good enough (which in most cases I would agree).

I'm pretty sure Lambert said that Hutton wouldn't play for Villa again because of money, not because he has issues with him.

Now the argument at the time was that Hutton would get paid either way, however we can only assume that a portion of his wage relates to game time, hence why Lambert made such a statement.

To me it indicates those above Lambert have made the decision, not Lambert himself.

How about utilising and getting the best out of some of the players he inherited.  How about not buying four full backs, none of whom are Premier League standard?

Lowton didn't have a great first season at all.  He was dreadful defensively, and last season he was woeful AND had a bad attitude.  So no, not just nit picking over Bennett and Luna at all.  Although I'm not sure you can call buying two desperately crap left backs "nit picking" anyway.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â