Paul Lambert

limpid

Actually, now that David Moyes is engaging in bar room brawls he might jump at the chance to manage Villa, no matter what happens with the owner - he needs to get his reputation back on track. That's if he still has the hunger for management. It would be familiar territory to what he was doing at Everton in terms of budget and fan expectation.

I didn't buy into the Lambert hype when he arrived but at the same time I haven't jumped in with the crowd asking him to leave.

My opinion is still the same, he is a decent young manager and is much of a muchness with any other manager we'd be looking at attracting. We are not going to sack him and find the next Simione so I'm in favour of keeping him on as he knows the squad and provides continuity.

....continuity of what exactly?

This is the crux of the argument for or against keeping him on now for me. People state given the predicament the club finds itself in in terms of being up for sale that it is now best to keep Lambert on for the sake of continuity - he knows the players etc, etc.

However when you look at what it is we would be continuing with it is frightening. We secured one win from our last 9 games, taking just 4 points from 27, go back a little further and look at the last 15 games we took just 11 points from 45 and go back even further and from our last 24 games we took just 19 points from a possible 72. I cannot think of one reason to give me hope Lambert can turn that around. We had a decent end to the 12/13 season, Lambert spent around 15-20 mill last summer, signed half a dozen players and we went backwards and had our worst season since we were relegated in 1987.

I fear if we go with the policy of continuity it will result in a continuation of our dire form and ultimately lead to relegation. To at least give ourselves a chance we need a change of manager regardless of who the owner is.

Regardless of who the new manager would be? The stats are not good reading but overall the reality is we stayed up for both seasons and accumulated more or less the same points. Stay with Lambert and chances of relegation are high but facts tell us we can stay up. Go with somebody else and who knows what could happen. Could stay up comfortably or could be rock bottom come January. Is this a chance worth taking?

Facts tell us we can also go down!

Yeah that's regardless of who is in charge. If there is a decent manager out there that would be willing to take the job while Lerner is still in charge I'd be happy with that. But I would rather Lambert stays than take a chance on an unknown.

Undoubtedly others could have done better. But after we missed out on Martinez I think Lambert was high on everyone's list. It's no good really saying in hindsight Lerner made the wrong choice. Lambert was the one a lot of fans wanted.

Thats fair comment, I was one over the moon, when we signed Martin O'Neill, but events changed my mind,....events unfold, performances are there for all to see as well as results and a picture starts to develop.

The six million dollar question is how long do you run with it before a decision is made and action is taken....some clubs act too quickly, some clubs drag their feet.....Man U obviously don't hang around rightfully or wrongfully.

We are in Limbo no doubt, with the ownership, but my point is if Lerner had no intention of selling Lambert would still be there, based on the criteria of complyling with  the austerity programme ,not necessarily with the business of team development.

Some of us are lauding a manager for dubious reasons.

Have we got a manager who is capable of developing the football side of the club or have we got a manager that can cut wage bills and keep us up by our fingernails.

......its your call

You could argue for the two seasons he's had Lambert has done everything asked of him. I don't know what top brass at the club have said to him privately over the 2 year period. 

I've been a staunch defender of Lambert, particularly when it started to click for him in the last 10 games or so of his first season, but I'm certainly not lauding the dismal home performances and the dire 'keep it tight and hope for breaks' football we've had this season. 

Villa fans have had enough not necessarily only because of Lambert, but because this situation just isn't good enough for a club of our stature, and any realistic fan knows that austerity and relying wholly on a youthful/lower league set-up will not ultimately work at this level. This view is quite right of course, which is why I concur we need change everywhere within the club staff. 

You could name quite a Premier League few managers who've done well this season: Pulis, Hughes, Bruce, Poyet, Allardyce... But I wouldn't be clamouring for any of them should Lambert be booted, possibly with the exception of Poyet. This is because this league is constantly tough and unpredictable and as well as it's gone for them this season they could just as easily go downhill next.

My view is we need a manager who could use us a stepping stone to further his own career, not long-term or loyal I know but at least we will have made progress on the pitch and maybe had some excitement to cheer if that happened. Possibly Laudrup or Yakin would be good shouts? 

• Like 1

As I said it's pretty bad reading but at the end we stayed up and that's all that counted. It's hard to imagine but it could have actually been worse which is a scary thought in itself.

I didn't buy into the Lambert hype when he arrived but at the same time I haven't jumped in with the crowd asking him to leave.

My opinion is still the same, he is a decent young manager and is much of a muchness with any other manager we'd be looking at attracting. We are not going to sack him and find the next Simione so I'm in favour of keeping him on as he knows the squad and provides continuity.

This is the crux of the argument for or against keeping him on now for me. People state given the predicament the club finds itself in in terms of being up for sale that it is now best to keep Lambert on for the sake of continuity - he knows the players etc, etc.

However when you look at what it is we would be continuing with it is frightening. We secured one win from our last 9 games, taking just 4 points from 27, go back a little further and look at the last 15 games we took just 11 points from 45 and go back even further and from our last 24 games we took just 19 points from a possible 72. I cannot think of one reason to give me hope Lambert can turn that around. We had a decent end to the 12/13 season, Lambert spent around 15-20 mill last summer, signed half a dozen players and we went backwards and had our worst season since we were relegated in 1987.

I fear if we go with the policy of continuity it will result in a continuation of our dire form and ultimately lead to relegation. To at least give ourselves a chance we need a change of manager regardless of who the owner is.

Regardless of who the new manager would be? The stats are not good reading but overall the reality is we stayed up for both seasons and accumulated more or less the same points. Stay with Lambert and chances of relegation are high but facts tell us we can stay up. Go with somebody else and who knows what could happen. Could stay up comfortably or could be rock bottom come January. Is this a chance worth taking?

Over the whole of last season we averaged a point a game. Over the last 24 games we averaged 0.8 points a game, over the last 15 games we averaged 0.7 points a game and over the last 9 games 0.45 points a games. We have steadily gone backwards under Lambert. All whilst serving up, in the main, clueless tripe.

McLeish is pretty much universally considered our worst manager since McNeil way back in 1987. Lambert just oversaw a worse season.

With Lambert we know what we are getting and it is poor. It is not a gamble to replace him. The gamble, and it is a huge one, comes with keeping him,

How did Lambert oversee a worse season than McLeish?

Over the whole of last season we averaged a point a game. Over the last 24 games we averaged 0.8 points a game, over the last 15 games we averaged 0.7 points a game and over the last 9 games 0.45 points a games. We have steadily gone backwards under Lambert. All whilst serving up, in the main, clueless tripe.

McLeish is pretty much universally considered our worst manager since McNeil way back in 1987. Lambert just oversaw a worse season.

With Lambert we know what we are getting and it is poor. It is not a gamble to replace him. The gamble, and it is a huge one, comes with keeping him,

Replacing him would be the bigger gamble. Without an injury crisis to our star players Lambert is capable of avoiding relegation again as he has done every season he has been a premiership manager.

I think most on here would be quite gutted with the choice of replacement if he was sacked in our current predicament.

• Like 1

Same points worse goal difference.

OK so we're ignoring league position?

Does that mean if we had a manager who finished 2nd on 89 points +30 & a manager who finished 1st on 89 +29 that the other would have had a better season?

Does that mean if we had a manager who finished 2nd on 89 points +30 & a manager who finished 1st on 89 +29 that the other would have had a better season?

Don't bother arguing with BJ10.

• Like 2

I think most on here would be quite gutted with the choice of replacement if he was sacked in our current predicament.

Sounds like the European Elections - Don't vote for them, vote for me. I'm less shit than the others.

As has been clarified on numerous occasions, all that means is that our rivals were weaker than they were in the McLeish season. Yes obviously we'd still take finishing higher despite that but it still means that last season was no better results-wise than the McLeish one.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â