Paul Lambert

limpid

The club needs a footballing philosopy before appointing a new manager - otherwise we will go through more mega-cost cycles, like when we moved from the MON "winger" era, to the McLeish "8 defenders on the pitch" era, via the Houllier "not sure what to write here" era.

Get the philosophy of the club sorted, then put in place a football management structure (throughout the entire club) built around this, getting in the right man for the job.

For example, many 'managers' now are really first team coaches, and need/want a "Director of Football" dealing with certain things for them. Others will not entertain such a thought.

What is the style of football the club want - we now have no wingers (except Marc), so bringing in a manager who always plays with wingers will result in us needing to ship out a number of surplus players, and bringing in these wingers and other players to compliment them. [i am not saying we shouldn't do this, but would the club think of this issue - you'd **** hope so!]

Personally, I really wanted Lambert in, and have supported and defended him - until the Stoke game.

The huge gulf in performance levels from the same players who always get picked when available is too much to bear. Add that to the amount of 'squad' players without the necessary game time or experience when needed (presumably because he doesn't trust them) and the lack of a Plan B - he has to go.

And it is exactly the same reasons why I personally thought MON had to go during his final season.

All of the above takes time so won't work with villa fans - it needs to be completely fixed in 6 months

• Like 3

Yes, I'm a troll, and now you've rumbled me Dellboy.

What I actually believe is that no matter how many of our players are injured, or how miniscule our budget is, all we need is a better manager to come in.

I also believe that better managers are queuing up around the block to manage Aston Villa, thanks to the prospect of a huge transfer kitty. It doesn't matter how pitiful the quality of the available players is, all we need is someone who's really really good at tactics. Yeah, tactics. Any fool can see that's all we need.

:D Great. 

Yes, I'm a troll, and now you've rumbled me Dellboy.

What I actually believe is that no matter how many of our players are injured, or how miniscule our budget is, all we need is a better manager to come in.

I also believe that better managers are queuing up around the block to manage Aston Villa, thanks to the prospect of a huge transfer kitty. It doesn't matter how pitiful the quality of the available players is, all we need is someone who's really really good at tactics. Yeah, tactics. Any fool can see that's all we need.

The argument seems to have shifted from Lambert has improved us to ignoring what Lambert hasn't done and making silly comments about the idea of replacing him.

Shows how poor he's been really.

• Like 3

I haven't forgiven Koeman for robbing England of a World Cup appearance.

Scored that joke of a soft freekick for Barcelona to robb Sampdoria of a Champions League title in 92 but i'd still gladly have him here 

You can't be sure he'll do any better OR want the job.

Just as we couldn't be sure of these things for McLeish's successor.

I think the majority would want the job until they speak to the custodians of AVFC. Martinez was interested, spoke to both planks and decided against it, I remember Rafa Benitez putting his hat in the ring, then taking himself promptly out of it, I'm sure there are many others.

I'm not disagreeing with that SIT. I guess you just have to hope that the board can manage to pull a better one out of the bag next time. As I have said before also, I don't think they did anything wrong in appointing Lambert in the first place, he has just hasn't lived up to expectations ultimately. The way they approached the last managerial search and the profile of manager they were looking for was correct though.

It depends on what the remit, budget is and utimately what the goals are that entice the manager.

I think the majority would want the job until they speak to the custodians of AVFC. Martinez was interested, spoke to both planks and decided against it, I remember Rafa Benitez putting his hat in the ring, then taking himself promptly out of it, I'm sure there are many others.

To be fair Martinez spoke to Liverpool as well and stayed at Wigan. I think he actually felt he owed Whelan another year. But it must be very off putting coming to an interview to be met by a credit card salesman?

With OGS I think the dislike was mutual which says a lot as he took the Cardiff job even with their chairman?

Lerner would never pick any of the names mentioned.

Martinez didn't turn down Liverpool, they turned him down. Rodgers was the one they wanted.

I'm not disagreeing with that SIT. I guess you just have to hope that the board can manage to pull a better one out of the bag next time. As I have said before also, I don't think they did anything wrong in appointing Lambert in the first place, he has just hasn't lived up to expectations ultimately. The way they approached the last managerial search and the profile of manager they were looking for was correct though.

It depends on what the remit, budget is and utimately what the goals are that entice the manager.

To be fair Martinez spoke to Liverpool as well and stayed at Wigan. I think he actually felt he owed Whelan another year. But it must be very off putting coming to an interview to be met by a credit card salesman?

With OGS I think the dislike was mutual which says a lot as he took the Cardiff job even with their chairman?

Lerner would never pick any of the names mentioned.

Martinez didn't turn down Liverpool, they turned him down. Rodgers was the one they wanted.

Depends which side's story you believe. Plop claimed only offered job to Rodgers and Martinez claims he was made an offer and turned it down. Potato/Potato?

Anyway Martinez claims he wanted to stay with the 'unique' Whelan?

Lambert will be replaced by another Lambert. The board s policy dictates managerial appointments, The last 2 appointments show that.

Clubs like Swansea and Everton hire managers to play passing football, Villa hire managers to reduce costs

• Like 2

Agree with that.  Lambert just hasn't worked out, but was a much better appointment at the time than McLeish.  Nobody could really have freseen that he'd do quite this badly.  Pez above is spot, decide on the long term approach you want the club to take, then appoint managers accordingly.  The mere fact that we've approached or appointed  Martinez, McLeish, Benitez, Houllier and Lambert shows that the board has no real idea what it wants our footballing philosphy to be.

Slightly undone by the fact that the reason we've got so many shit players is that Lambert's bought most of them.  If they're pitiful, it's bacause Lambert has spent £6m on two godawful left backs, and lots of other players who it's blindingly obvious are never going to be good enough.

Yes, I'm a troll, and now you've rumbled me Dellboy.

The argument seems to have shifted from Lambert has improved us to ignoring what Lambert hasn't done and making silly comments about the idea of replacing him.

Shows how poor he's been really.

It is funny how you use "ignorance" as a reason to berate others who have a different, arguably realistic, view point. 

Lambert will be replaced by another Lambert. The board s policy dictates managerial appointments, The last 2 appointments show that.

Clubs like Swansea and Everton hire managers to play passing football, Villa hire managers to reduce costs

Lets look for the best account out there then. His tactics would be better than Lambert's that for sure!

Slightly undone by the fact that the reason we've got so many shit players is that Lambert's bought most of them.  If they're pitiful, it's bacause Lambert has spent £6m on two godawful left backs, and lots of other players who it's blindingly obvious are never going to be good enough.

O'Neill blew tens of millions on poor players

Not sure that is correct as GH was given decent funding.

But we also made tens of millions selling some of his players and we also used to win games sometimes even at home!

Risso - The sad truth is the players are good enough for the short term ambitions of the club, which is regrettably to survive and cut costs. I suppose we shouldn't have a squad of players but only a eleven men? Great tactical thinking as ever.  ;)

Some of which would still walk right into our team now such as Curtis Davies and Sidwell.

Some of which would still walk right into our team now such as Curtis Davies and Sidwell.

They wouldn't because we don't pay 60k wages anymore. Slightly off topic but my mate drives sidwell around - he still chuckles at the salary he had at Villa.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â