Paul Lambert

limpid

Which of our youngsters should have gotten more of a chance?

Well for a start he could've give Donacien a chance when we had three centre-backs injured and were facing League Two opposition. He could've perhaps have given Callum Robinson a run-out when we were 4-1 up against Norwich rather than Grant Holt. He could've also have not given Carruthers absolutely no first-team action whatsoever last season when he was happy to even give the likes of Jordan Bowery some.

But then again, he won't even give his own signings like Helenius and Tonev a proper chance so I won't hold my breath for the likes of Grealish next season.

That probably has something to do with Southampton being in League One four seasons ago.

Yeah it's not like they've blooded any more youngsters since they have been in the Premier League. Oh wait...

Edited by Isa

That probably has something to do with them actually giving their youngsters a chance.

Yep in lower league football where they were as a club for a long time - they didn't get promoted to the prem and then think hmm lets chuck these guys in.

Well for a start he could've give Donacien a chance when we had three centre-backs injured and were facing League Two opposition. He could've perhaps have given Callum Robinson a run-out when we were 4-1 up against Norwich rather than Grant Holt. He could've also have not given Carruthers absolutely no first-team action whatsoever last season when he was happy to even give the likes of Jordan Bowery some.

But then again, he won't even give his own signings like Helenius and Tonev a proper chance so I won't hold my breath for the likes of Grealish next season.

That probably has something to do with Southampton being in League One four seasons ago.

Yeah it's not like they've blooded any more youngsters since they have been in the Premier League. Oh wait...

Do Southampton not have better youngsters than us? Which has been proven over the years, Bale, Walcott, Ox, Dyer, Lallana and Shaw. We have produced Gardner, Davis, Ridgewell, Gabby, Cahill who we let go. Now we've had our recent bunch from a reserve side who won the league and if we are honest are they really that good, that you'd trust the next lot to come through?

• Like 1

It might have been nice to see a few token appearances like you've mentioned but that wouldn't do much more than pacify us lot. Southampton have put their youngsters like Shaw (and recently Chambers) in for extended spells in the league.

I don't think I've seen any evidence that any of ours are good enough for that at the minute. That is the kind of level of ability that is required to get a run in a PL side with top half ambitions.

Edited by ArteSuave

Well they have a good enough squad overall squad that have played together long enough to allow them to let 2 or 3 youngsters appear as regular first team players without really hurting the team overall. If we uproot two first team players and replace them with youngsters we'd be in trouble.

This is something that Lambert is trying to build atm, they are 6 seasons into that process whereas we are two.

Cameo appearances by youngsters don't really do them that much good - we wanna be looking at at least 20+ appearance.

• Like 1

We have produced Gardner, Davis, Ridgewell, Gabby, Cahill who we let go. Now we've had our recent bunch from a reserve side who won the league and if we are honest are they really that good, that you'd trust the next lot to come through?

Those listed, despite being unspectacular, have all made it at this level and are no worse than a large amount of the current squad. The last batch were a bit of a let-down no doubt but at least they were given a chance, as were the batch under DOL. I have always championed the meritocratic principle that a player should get a chance at least to prove their worth to the squad. Especially when the players in the first team are underperforming more often then not as has been the case this season.

I don't think I've seen any evidence that any of ours are good enough for that at the minute. That is the kind of level of ability that is required to get a run in a PL side with top half ambitions.

None of them have been given a semblance of an opportunity to provide you with evidence one way or the other.

these are average ages before the Jan transfer window...

1. Aston Villa                              | 24y 64d

2. Southampton                         | 24y 342d

3. Tottenham                             | 25y 33d

4. Arsenal                                  | 25y 110d

5. Liverpool                               | 25y 160d

6. Sunderland                           | 25y 298d

7. Cardiff                                   | 26y 20d

8. Swansea                               | 26y 86d

9. Norwich                                | 26y 202d

10. Newcastle                           | 26y 220d

11. Everton                               | 26y 354d

12. Man City                             | 26y 356d

13. Chelsea                              | 26y 362d

14. Hull                                     | 27y 40d

15. Man United                         | 27y 112d

16. West Brom                          | 27y 295d

17. Stoke                                  | 28y 23d

18. Crystal Palace                    | 28y 84d

19. West Ham                          | 28y 228d

20. Fulham                               | 29y 30d

...so can we stop saying that the youngsters aren't young anymore and shoudl be playing consistently every week?

It's not just one or 2 youngsters, our SQUAD is young, if we keep the best elements together for a few years and add quality we're looking good long term IMO. We have the youngest squad by nearly 300 days, so nearly a year. Everyone's upset after the Stoke game, probably more so after we'd won 2 on the bounce thinking we should batter them after beating Chelsea etc. Let's not lose sight of where we are though, and that's near the start of something long term.

So 4of those teams directly below us are in the top half of the table and are c 1year older....what example is that.

Cameo appearances by youngsters don't really do them that much good - we wanna be looking at at least 20+ appearance.

Cameo appearences are a door to playing regularly though. In fact, it is the same for most youngsters as rarely will they just walk straight into the team. Rather, they start out with limited game-time and if they impress then that leads to more game-time.

1. Aston Villa                              | 24y 64d
2. Southampton                         | 24y 342d    W
3. Tottenham                             | 25y 33d      L
4. Arsenal                                  | 25y 110d    W L
5. Liverpool                               | 25y 160d     L D
6. Sunderland                           | 25y 298d    D W

7. Cardiff                                   | 26y 20d     W D
8. Swansea                               | 26y 86d     D
9. Norwich                                | 26y 202d    W W
10. Newcastle                           | 26y 220d    L L
11. Everton                               | 26y 354d    L L
12. Man City                             | 26y 356d    W
13. Chelsea                              | 26y 362d    L W
14. Hull                                     | 27y 40d      D
15. Man United                         | 27y 112d    L
16. West Brom                          | 27y 295d    D W
17. Stoke                                  | 28y 23d      L L
18. Crystal Palace                    | 28y 84d      L
19. West Ham                          | 28y 228d    D L
20. Fulham                               | 29y 30d      L

Notice

Apart from West Brom we haved perform very poorly against the teams in the league that have the most experienced players.

Our performance against the top clubs suggest that the age of our opponents is a greater factor in their likelihood of beating us than their talent.

What can we do to beat teams like Crystal Palace and Fulham?

Cameo appearences are a door to playing regularly though. In fact, it is the same for most youngsters as rarely will they just walk straight into the team. Rather, they start out with limited game-time and if they impress then that leads to more game-time.

Sure, but for the other reasons I stated in that post I just don't see us as being able to accommodate youngster for anything more than brief cameos, and as such the cameos would largely be for no reason. Maybe it'd be nice to give them the odd sub appearance, but until we've got a stable team to integrate them into it wouldn't mean much.

Sure, but for the other reasons I stated in that post I just don't see us as being able to accommodate youngster for anything more than brief cameos, and as such the cameos would largely be for no reason. Maybe it'd be nice to give them the odd sub appearance, but until we've got a stable team to integrate them into it wouldn't mean much.

They would only be for no reason if there is no meritocracy at the club. Also, I fail to see why we can accommodate players from the lower-leagues and unknowns from other lesser leagues but blooding any player from the academy is just a risk too far.

I think it's down to our kids not playing competitive men's football, where the guys from lower leagues have

That probably is the reason but if every manager had the same mentality, no player would ever make in in professional football.

They would only be for no reason if there is no meritocracy at the club. Also, I fail to see why we can accommodate players from the lower-leagues and unknowns from other lesser leagues but blooding any player from the academy is just a risk too far.

Because we're doing the first, we're already taking risks - why take even more risks if you can avoid it? 

Firstly, if both are risks then they can be done in tandem without the overall risk level being affected. For example, is signing and giving Bowery or Tonev game-time somehow less risky then if we had just promoted one of our academy players? My answer would be no.

Secondly, giving some of the academy players cup-games or minutes off the bench is hardly a big risk is it? I don't understand why everybody is so reactionary regarding this subject.

Notice

Apart from West Brom we haved perform very poorly against the teams in the league that have the most experienced players.

Our performance against the top clubs suggest that the age of our opponents is a greater factor in their likelihood of beating us than their talent.

What can we do to beat teams like Crystal Palace and Fulham?

Interesting observation. Then again, once our young boys get the experiance needed to stay cool against the fulhams of this world does that mean they will compete for the top 6?

We have produced Gardner, Davis, Ridgewell, Gabby, Cahill who we let go. Now we've had our recent bunch from a reserve side who won the league and if we are honest are they really that good, that you'd trust the next lot to come through?

Those listed, despite being unspectacular, have all made it at this level and are no worse than a large amount of the current squad. The last batch were a bit of a let-down no doubt but at least they were given a chance, as were the batch under DOL. I have always championed the meritocratic principle that a player should get a chance at least to prove their worth to the squad. Especially when the players in the first team are underperforming more often then not as has been the case this season.

None of them have been given a semblance of an opportunity to provide you with evidence one way or the other.

No but there is evidence that the graduates before them are struggling to make an impact at this level. We've been down this road before where we overhype our youngsters, then don't back them when there on the pitch anyway. Remember Bannan was the next Scholes apparently, Delfouneso was the next big thing. Now I'm not saying the next crop may be different, however throwing in youngsters in a struggling side which we have done previously hampers their progress IMO. Southampton have the luxery that they've never really been in any trouble this year that they can bring in youth to come into a side playing with no fear of anything.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â