Paul Lambert

limpid

Thought he got his subs and formations spot on today.

- Subbed Holt for Lowton. Lowton was struggling defensively and we had just taken the lead. Pushed Bacuna into a defense and Holt gave us fresh legs to aim at.

- Subbed KEA for Sylla. Not KEA's best game. While I didn't think Sylla did much, he was fresh legs in an outnumbered midfield.

- Subbed Wiemann for Baker. Last 10 minutes and WBA are pushing. Changed to a 5-3-2 system with 2 target men up front to hold the ball up and slow down the play.

Actually while at the game, I wondered wtf is going on! I thought some of his subbing and timing was strange and that we were lucky the baggies are so shit going forward. I agree that Lowton was struggling (looked like he had taken a knock as he limped off) - so Bacuna at RB had to be done, but I would have brought Albrighton on instead of Holt who was all over the place.

KEA ditto had run out of steam so Sylla was a no brainer but when he bought Baker on ,Bacuna hadn't got a clue for 5 minutes whether he was still at RB or supposed to play RW.

I was watching lambert and culverhouse on the bench going nuts as they clearly hadn't got the message out on what the formation was supposed - they were not happy but I think it was of their own making.

• Like 2

Actually while at the game, I wondered wtf is going on! I thought some of his subbing and timing was strange and that we were lucky the baggies are so shit going forward

they did score 3 goals, maybe shit isnt the word ;)

Needs to be given cash to build! He's doing a great job so far.

No he isn't. His overall result stat is still very poor and I'd want to see a lot more consistency from him tactically and from the team before I'd go anywhere near making a statement like that.
Yes he is. He gutted an expensive and wasteful team, built a new one at a fraction of the cost and is improving us. He is doing an exceptional job. Regarding overall results, we're no man city and results wise we're in the ballpark of what you'd expect for a young team. You know all this though.

Like you say he knows all this but just ignores it.

Like it or not we're punching above our weight in terms of what we've spent and wages we pay.

• Like 1

We're in the top half of the table, 3 points clear of the team below us....and there's only 2 teams above us I'd say we have a chance of getting above even if we had bought an expensive number 10 (the second-tier teams have got much stronger in recent times, like Spurs and Liverpool). I'd say Lambert is doing very well with the quality of players that we have.

If you were offered this progression a year ago today I'm pretty sure everyone on the board would have ripped your arm off.

• Like 3

We're in the top half of the table, 3 points clear of the team below us....and there's only 2 teams above us I'd say we have a chance of getting above even if we had bought an expensive number 10 (the second-tier teams have got much stronger in recent times, like Spurs and Liverpool). I'd say Lambert is doing very well with the quality of players that we have.

If you were offered this progression a year ago today I'm pretty sure everyone on the board would have ripped your arm off.

I kind of agree but when we're spending on average about £2m a player I'd expect us to be dominating the possession in most games and at least top 8. Our average points per game is still very low as well. If we'd signed a lot of the players that teams below us have signed in the last 18 months then we would surely be in a better position going forward, after all if you don't pay Premier League wages then you'll get nowhere.

• Like 1

Lambert gets slated a lot for his signings but relative to what he has spent I think he's given us the best return of any Villa manager for quite a while, certainly more than McLeish, Houllier and O'Neill. Very few signings have been proper failures. In most cases we've got what we paid for and in some cases (Benteke, Vlaar and probably Bacuna) we've got a good bargain.

• Like 4

Lambert gets slated a lot for his signings but relative to what he has spent I think he's given us the best return of any Villa manager for quite a while, certainly more than McLeish, Houllier and O'Neill. Very few signings have been proper failures. In most cases we've got what we paid for and in some cases (Benteke, Vlaar and probably Bacuna) we've got a good bargain.

According to the same logic Pulis is giving his team more than Mourinho.

Those two haven't been in their current jobs anywhere near as long as Lambert as been in the Villa job.

I kind of agree but when we're spending on average about £2m a player I'd expect us to be dominating the possession in most games and at least top 8. Our average points per game is still very low as well. If we'd signed a lot of the players that teams below us have signed in the last 18 months then we would surely be in a better position going forward, after all if you don't pay Premier League wages then you'll get nowhere.

You think we should be "at least" top 8 spending £2m a player? The top 7 teams are Man City, Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs - which of them should we be above spending £2m a player? Even if you stick with just plain old 8th, then you're expecting us to finish above all of Southampton, Newcastle and Swansea who have all bought some decent players for decent money in recent years (and any one of whom may just be on a good run of form that takes them up above us too). I'm sure Newcastle have spent a lot more than £2m per player in the last couple of years!

I think the top half of the table have some good teams in it, and to be anywhere from 10th upwards is a real achievement given where we were when we started the year. I want Lambert to keep making progress up the table year on year, but I think we need to let him build the foundations before we demand he breaks into the top 8.

• Like 4

Those two haven't been in their current jobs anywhere near as long as Lambert as been in the Villa job.

I think Pulis probably is giving his team more than Mourinho. He's working miracles are Palace while Mourinho has slightly improved a side full of world class players.

• Like 2

Needs to be given cash to build! He's doing a great job so far.

No he isn't. His overall result stat is still very poor and I'd want to see a lot more consistency from him tactically and from the team before I'd go anywhere near making a statement like that.
Yes he is. He gutted an expensive and wasteful team, built a new one at a fraction of the cost and is improving us. He is doing an exceptional job. Regarding overall results, we're no man city and results wise we're in the ballpark of what you'd expect for a young team. You know all this though.

Like you say he knows all this but just ignores it.

Like it or not we're punching above our weight in terms of what we've spent and wages we pay.

The job Lambert has been asked to do is pretty unique in the top flight.  He has been asked to oversee the dismantling of the remains of a top six squad, whilst implementing a total change in the club philosophy re. wages and squad building.   Whilst doing all of this he has had to also bring a sense of stability to a club that was teetering on the brink of implosion and relegation.  He has done an incredible job so far, demonstrating very shrewd judgement and brave leadership along the way.  

Bit by bit we are getting there.  I think the dream is that we are fighting for top six/four and trophies with a squad full of Bodymoor Heath players supplemented by astute signings.  We're twelve to eighteen months away from that, in my opinion, and we can get there with Lambert.

• Like 2

Actually while at the game, I wondered wtf is going on! I thought some of his subbing and timing was strange and that we were lucky the baggies are so shit going forward

they did score 3 goals, maybe shit isnt the word ;)

Sorry You are right and I should have said in the last 20 minutes. The way we played in the last 20 allowed their streak of piss Olson to make at least three long runs and tactically I felt we backed off to much.

The performance from both manager and the team was good against WBA, and the football played was very exciting to watch.

If we can comfortably stay top ten this season then it will be a good achievement based on what has been spent by those around us. I would fully expect us to then hopefully push on next season with a chance of top eight and European qualification.

I still wonder at the back of my mind though whether we are 'up for sale' and that things could change in the summer?

very true

This post absolutely baffles me.

• Like 1

This post absolutely baffles me.

I presumed my sarcasm detector was broken. I don't understand it.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â