Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

Switzerland's leap above England and Italy in the FIFA world rankings is entirely down to the influx of immigrants from the Balkan states.

There are 14 in their present squad and another 2 appear in their recent call-ups.

I am not sure this would work for England, judging by the performance of Phil Jagielka last night.  :)

Switzerland's leap above England and Italy in the FIFA world rankings is entirely down to the influx of immigrants from the Balkan states.

There are 14 in their present squad and another 2 appear in their recent call-ups.

I am not sure this would work for England, judging by the performance of Phil Jagielka last night. :)

Hopefully we get the next Gheorghe Hagi come through in a few years' time. EDL might change their tune then.

Blame has to lay squarely with Hodgson

He bought into the hype of Tony Daley part 2 who has no end product , he picked Baines over Cole who clearly is twice the player Baines will ever be , he picked Wellbeck and if that wasn't bad enough he then played him in Midfield , he played Rooney at LM , he picked Henderson and the icing on the cake was picking Gerrard who is clearly past it

Look at the other decent teams in this World Cup and they play with 2 banks of 4 pretty much all the time , and you also see the teams in the champions league do it ... It seems to be the way football is lately

That is the opposite of the way football is now, 2 banks of four is dead. Flexibility is key, the fact that Rooney playing left or centre was such a big debate says a lot.

Playing Henderson and Gerrard in the middle and no one else has cost England, defending from the front is great but not if you can't defend from the back.

you could argue it's 4-2-3-1 , but really it's still a 4-4-2 formation  .. the midfield always make sure their back four are protected, yet they are also great on the ball and press forward brilliantly ... just look at the Italy game , when we got the ball wide or broke forward , they pretty much always had 2 banks of 4 between us and the goal .. Sterling sometimes beat 2 even 3 men , but there was always a 4th or a 5th man and lots of times our attackers just ran into dead ends

not just the youthful players, how about Downing or Young? This team was crying out for one of them on their form circa 2012. They made big money moves and fell off the radar.

Despite all the patriotic clap-trap the only real concern for players is money and they are not reticent about that fact when they are in private.

Becoming an international just raises a players commercial value.

No doubt Gerrard will be appearing in some jokey advert very soon, as he rakes in another wad, celebrating his cock-up, just like every other guilty England player did.

I want England to do well and I hope I'm wrong, but they aren't getting out of this group. 2 losses of Italy and Uruguay and it will all be over before the embarassing draw to Costa Rica.

Italy and Uruguay to qualify.

<_< depressingly accurate

Interesting Paradox in the last game (bravely assuming that Italy will beat Costa Rica tonight): We will be relying on Italy to beat Uruguay, but Uruguay will be relying on us to get something out of the Costa Rice game. Should it look like Uruguay are going to triumph against Italy, then we should throw the game against Costa Rica. That'd wipe the smile from Suarez's face.

(I'm not actually bitter about Suarez at all, fair play to him, that was some performance).

I want England to do well and I hope I'm wrong, but they aren't getting out of this group. 2 losses of Italy and Uruguay and it will all be over before the embarassing draw to Costa Rica.

<_< depressingly accurate

I bet you are a little bit gratified by how accurately you called it.

Well no not really, and I'm not known for my mindless pessimism but this situation was the safest bet at the World Cup. Not patriotic, or popular, but the most obvious outcome.

Interesting Paradox in the last game (bravely assuming that Italy will beat Costa Rica tonight): We will be relying on Italy to beat Uruguay, but Uruguay will be relying on us to get something out of the Costa Rice game. Should it look like Uruguay are going to triumph against Italy, then we should throw the game against Costa Rica. That'd wipe the smile from Suarez's face.

(I'm not actually bitter about Suarez at all, fair play to him, that was some performance).

Don't blame Suarez, blame The Sun for winding him up.

75631379_75631378.jpg

Well no not really, and I'm not known for my mindless pessimism but this situation was the safest bet at the World Cup. Not patriotic, or popular, but the most obvious outcome.

I wasn't having a go - I should have just said "good call" admiringly.

Don't blame Suarez, blame The Sun for winding him up.

75631379_75631378.jpg

No I don't blame Suarez, if anything my estimation of him has gone up slightly. 

The problem is our young stars are never as good as people think they are. Barkley and lallana are good players and will become even better players, but they will never be consistently world beaters. Ok on their day they can caurse any team problems but let's be honest they aint ever going to be top class. Its the same at the villa, these youngsters that come up through the ranks that are meant to be great, turn out to be very average or just pure shit. We can't produce the class other nations can, history tells us that. I think we have had teams that have had a really good chance of winning something, but that aint been often. Most over hyped national team ever, or atleast one of them. England is great for club football but that's it, ok we had a great hooligan outfit as well but that's about it.

Thats so true. Everybody is raving about Barkley but he's only in his first full season and hasn't done enough for the media attention he is getitng.

I wasn't having a go - I should have just said "good call" admiringly.

No worries. Nuanced language doesn't translate well to the screen.

I blame Roy Hodgson, The FA, the money players get - so at 18 some are already made for life.

Corruption is also another thing I blame.

Yep.