Roy Keane

TrentVilla

Im optimistic too. I can see Roy on the touchline now laying into our lot, geeing them up to get some work out of them. Too often last season we looked like a team who didnt care. I dont think Roy will stand for that.

Does this mean that prawn sandwiches will be off the menu in the corporate boxes?

Corporate boxes? The boxes at Villa Park have been rented out to the DSS to generate some extra income.

The few remaining corporate clients at Villa Park will be given a sausage roll, a bag of mini chedders and told to take a look at Roy Keane's beard.

• Like 1

Im optimistic too. I can see Roy on the touchline now laying into our lot, geeing them up to get some work out of them. Too often last season we looked like a team who didnt care. I dont think Roy will stand for that.

Isn't that the manager's job?  And I don't recall too many occasions when the team looked like they weren't trying, to me it's just that we have a team who are utterly shit.  Even Roy Keane and his beard aren't going to be able to turn Tonev, Luna and Bennett into decent players, however much he shouts at them.

• Like 2

I agree with that Risso. Very few games under Lambert I've ever questioned the workrate of the team but the simple truth is in too many areas of the team we just severly lack premier league quality.

Keane's not that great a motivator either otherwise his Sunderland and Ipswich teams wouldn't have gone on long winless runs.

I agree with that Risso. Very few games under Lambert I've ever questioned the workrate of the team but the simple truth is in too many areas of the team we just severly lack premier league quality.

Keane's not that great a motivator either otherwise his Sunderland and Ipswich teams wouldn't have gone on long winless runs.

Sure, because that's all there is to management. Also Risso is correct, no point in having an assistant manager, everything is "the managers job".

I don't think anyone is saying Keane is THE answer, but I appreciate his will to win. I know absolutely nothing of him as an assistant or a coach, but you can be sure there will be a change. Im glad of that.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I am getting this sneaky feeling of coming events as thus;

1. Takeover happens

2. Lambert sacked

3. Keane caretaker manger until the end of the season

Could be completely wrong of course, but doesn't seem outside the realms of possibility.

While I'm sure you're right that he will do this, I see no reason for optimism. Think of the impact on already fragile players who are struggling out of their depth. Here's Dwight Yorke reflecting on Keane's person to person style as a manager:

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/974-October-2009/3873-roy-keane-on-the-edge

Dwight Yorke, who played alongside and under Keane, believes his style is too intimidating to achieve results: "His aura and personality are what make him such a big force in the game; they provoke a kind of fear in playing for him, a fear if you did not come up to scratch. The intensity which drove the team to those successes, however, never let up and, I think, ultimately, doomed Keano's managership. Even when we had secured promotion at the end of my first season, he wasn't satisfied. He wanted the title. He warned players he would not settle for anyone taking their foot off the pedal. It was leadership by inspiring fear."

As a great player himself, Keane is easily frustrated by performances that he would not have deemed as up to his own standard. "It was difficult for him to accept that he was not in a top-flight team that did not win the majority of its games – all that he had known at United", said Yorke. "He would join in with the five-a-sides and any player on his team who misplaced a pass or miscontrolled the ball would be subjected to a stream of vicious lecturing or abuse. It reached the stage where nobody wanted to be on the same side as him."

I'm not convinced this is going to end well.

You do know Keane and Yorke do not get on?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1217784/Unrepentant-Roy-Keane-brings-old-pal-Dwight-Yorke-book.html

Roy Keane has launched a scathing attack on old pal Dwight Yorke and accused him of not pulling his weight when they were together at Sunderland.

His former Manchester United team-mate is critical of Keane's management style – 'leadership by inspiring fear' – in his autobiography.

Yorke said that when Keane walked out on Sunderland last December he sent him a text to wish him success in the future.

Keane responded: 'Go f**k yourself.'He said: 'I wouldn't agree I tried to rule by fear. I think it is important players are entitled to their opinions.

'Yorkie is trying to sell books - this might be his second or third book so he must be stuck for a few bob.

'I will take on board comments from people I respect but Yorkie is someone I don't have any respect for. If he felt that way, he was still quick to sign another contract. Then he didn't try a leg in his last season at Sunderland.'

Keane takes Ipswich to Barnsley today still searching for his first win and trying to lift them off the Championship floor. Yorke quit playing last month to be assistant manager of Trinidad & Tobago, but Keane said: 'He went back to play for Trinidad for reasons that had nothing to do with football. Maybe he should have put that in his book.'

Yorke reversed his decision to retire from international football last year to return for his country's World Cup qualifying campaign. Keane said: 'It's a sad reflection on him. It wasn't a footballing decision. It might have been financial and land was also mentioned.'

Keane signed Yorke for Sunderland in August 2006 but said he was wrong to offer him another year when his initial deal ended, adding: 'His legs and his appetite had gone. He had done a great job for me in his first two years so maybe it was loyalty - or stupidity - on my part.'

Keane dismissed Yorke's claims about ruling by fear. He said: 'I don't think that works. It might on the odd weekend but I'm pretty sure it's not the way to be a manager over a long period.'

Keane was this week assured he has the full backing of the club's owner, Marcus Evans, and he joked: 'That probably means I'll be sacked next week. But, seriously, the owner doesn't say on the phone to me "I'm happy with you".'

Keane steered Sunderland from the bottom to the top of the Championship in his first season on Wearside then kept them in the Premier League in his second.

But when he quit 10 months ago he cited boardroom interference as his number one reason for going. Keane said: 'I'm hoping that I'm learning from my experiences and I don't think there's anything I would do differently.

'I think I did OK there, although I accept I made some mistakes. If you think I left Sunderland in a bad way you are sadly mistaken.

'What I couldn't tolerate in the end was being told what to do, where to live and how to treat my players.

'I thought my way had worked, then all of a sudden a lot of people weren't happy.

'Everything at Ipswich is different, although I never envisaged not getting a win in our first 10 games.

'But I'm not losing any sleep and stuff like Yorkie's come out with doesn't bother me.'

I don't agree that it will end badly. I can't see it being worse than last year. I think keane could have a positive effect but I don't see it making much difference.

Roy Keane is not the difference between this team struggling like the last two years and this team playing well.

I do.

I think Keane and quite a lot of people don't get on.

There is an awful lot of noise around concerning Keane's brutal management style, which was pretty much a disaster at Sunderland after initial success and just totally a disaster at Ipswich.

People seem very willing to explain away all of these comments and dismiss them as partial, etc.

OK, let's just wait and see what happens.

I do.

There is an awful lot of noise around concerning Keane's brutal management style, which was pretty much a disaster at Sunderland after initial success and just totally a disaster at Ipswich.

People seem very willing to explain away all of these comments and dismiss them as partial, etc.

Not really, Just don't think Yorke is an ideal person to use as an example IMO.

It does very much remind me of when Graham Taylor came in as JG's director of football.  I know the feeling is it strengthens Pauls position and I am willing to accpet that,  but just a feeling that it is caretaker in waiting

• Like 1

I remember Yorke's attitude when he was trying to force a move to United.

He could be right about Keane or not, but is hardly one to be passing comment on others.

But I would not be surprised if Keane was correct about him.

I do.

I think people would have a different view if he had been appointed manager, but he hasn't he is assistant and so I think people are less concerned about those comments especially as they stem from quite a few years ago.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â