England squad World Cup 2014

andykeenan

Don't think he could have picked a much better squad from what's available.

Only real issue I have is smalling. He's pony.

The problem will be how Roy uses the squad. I don't have much confidence in his ability to produce anything exciting

Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'd rather have taken Terry than most of the CBs. Cahill/Terry know each other and are a pretty good pairing.

Seeing Smalling at CB against the likes of Suarez, Higuain etc. is worrying.

Can't argue with that squad at all tbh. Ok, Lampards inclusion will generate the ire of a few but his experience, along with that of Gerrard, could be crucial with so many youngsters in the squad. Glad to see Shaw, Lallana and Barkley have made it.  

Not bad Woy, not bad.

• Like 1

Cant believe how thin our squad is when Stones is our first choice reserve centre back. He has played 15 games for Everton this year and I'd guess less than 5 of those he played CB.

Cant say I have seen loads of him but in the few games I have seen he looks tidy but nothing spectacular.

I'd be pretty disappointed if I was someone like Caulker who I think has been very good whenever I've seen him this year.

Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'd rather have taken Terry than most of the CBs.  Cahill/Terry know each other and are a pretty good pairing.

Been saying the same all year.

As much of a scumbag as Terry is, the Cahill/Terry partnership has been excellent this season. I'd love to see that as our CB pairing going into the world cup.

International football should be about partnerships and how players work with other players. That would have bee perfect for CB.

I think it's weird that John Terry has retired from International football and that no-one has persuaded him to return for the World Cup. Him and Cahill are already playing together for Chelsea and Terry has been on good form this season, added with bags of experience and the fact that he is a better player than the alternatives. Jagielka has been injured, Jones hasn't been playing as a central defender for most of the season and so on - Terry should have traveled to Brazil. That's the problem with Roy Hodgson though, he has never been a good manager and he is probably afraid of doing strange choices that can be slated in the media.

I am always looking for England to do well in the WC since my country never participates, but there is no chance in hell England will go far in this tournament :( I wouldn't even bet on them going through the first phase... unfortunately.

Terry's a complete word remove and he probably realises not playing for England has been benefical for his chelsea career as he was barely injured this season.

Plus I thought he was poor at the last world cup when he was at faul for a couple of Germany goals. Only decent tournament I reckon he's played was euro 2012 when England played ridiculously deep.

It's pretty much the best squad Woy could've coem up with. Just it's weak at CB but that's just the way it is as this is a weak period for english CBs compared to a few years back when the likes of Campbell, King and Carragher were reserves.

I would say how come Shawcross is never in contention for any of these squads? He's one of the most consistant CBs out there and it can't be surely due to the London media not wanting him in due to the Ramsey injury?

Yeah I'm not sure how you leave Cole out. I know he hasn't played an awful lot for Chelsea this season but he's so good defensively think it is a mistake.

Yes but we have to look forward. we are not going to win this world cup so I'll all for bring talented young players in the squad.

Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'd rather have taken Terry than most of the CBs.  Cahill/Terry know each other and are a pretty good pairing.

Yeah it should've been Cahill/Terry at CB ideally, oh well. 

• Like 1

Shocking news that Defoe isn't in the squad.

When I say shocking, I mean for him and him alone. I can't believe I've just listened to him whining about how disappointed he is for ten minutes on the radio when the only real shock is that he even made the standby list.

• Like 3