Your favourite World Cup?

Xela

We're probably around the same age PaulC.

1982 by far the best for me too. Except that no Villa players for England. Coppell instead of Morley who was one of the last cuts. Evans warmed the bench for Scotland.

Brazil was magnificent, but Rossi cut them to pieces.

Diego Armando couldn't live up to the expectations and was sent off after the karate kick at Falcao.

Schumacher almost killed that Italian. But Italy got revenge in the end.

Oh those days... weather was great back then too.

Yep it just had so many good sides in it. I think that Brazilian side were every bit as talented as the 70 side but lost to an inspired Rossi. France had a good side with Platini. The Germans were strong. We wern't bad either having beaten France in the first game but unfortunately couldn't score against Spain. Keegan missing a sitter...

Italia 90 is still the best month of my football supporting life. It'll never get any better. The moment David Platt (my favourite Villa player at the time) turned and hit that volley into the Belgium net, I thought I was going to explode with excitement. I really believed England would win the World Cup. I watched every moment of every game, and although I remember Mexico 86, it was the first time I'd really paid attention to it all.  

• Like 2

Italia 90 is still the best month of my football supporting life. It'll never get any better. The moment David Platt (my favourite Villa player at the time) turned and hit that volley into the Belgium net, I thought I was going to explode with excitement. I really believed England would win the World Cup. I watched every moment of every game, and although I remember Mexico 86, it was the first time I'd really paid attention to it all.  

That was my favourite moment in a world cup!

• Like 1

I was only 3 during Italia 90 but I think that world cup had more classic moments and more classic matches then any other world cup in history. It may of been dull and dominated by penalties, but it was definitely a classic world cup.

Edit: And yes I understand that statement looks contradictory but I'm sure you can understand what I mean.

Edited by Voinjama

That was my favourite moment in a world cup!

Honestly it still sends a tingle up my spine thinking about it. My favourite player scoring the winner for England, was probably one of the best moments of my life up to that point. I'll probably never feel that way again, certainly not about England.  

• Like 1

1990 was a very low scoring world cup wasn't it?

First one was 1998 and of the four I've seen the most enjoyable, exciting new teams like Jamaica and Japan, some very good knock out matches (England-Argies, Croats smashing Germany and Holland losing to Brazil in the semis on pens) plus Croatia's shock run to the semi finals and France's surprise win in the final.

2002, 2006 and 2010 all been pretty mediocre tbh, not sure this one will be much different tbh, 32 teams is too much nowdays I feel after a long domestic season.

We're probably around the same age PaulC.

1982 by far the best for me too. Except that no Villa players for England. Coppell instead of Morley who was one of the last cuts. Evans warmed the bench for Scotland.

Brazil was magnificent, but Rossi cut them to pieces.

Diego Armando couldn't live up to the expectations and was sent off after the karate kick at Falcao.

Schumacher almost killed that Italian. But Italy got revenge in the end.

Oh those days... weather was great back then too.

Withe was in the squad wasn't he?

1990 was a very low scoring world cup wasn't it?

Yeah, but England were brilliant in it. Gazza was one of the players of the tournament and we had the best world cup song ever.  It's little wonder we remember the tournament fondly on these shores.  It's crazy when you think about what the 80s did to the game that it survived.  I genuinely think having such an epic moment on national TV (Michael Thomas's famous goal at Anfield in 1989) so soon after Hillsborough really was a turning point but the World Cup which won the hearts of the public again.

The period of just over half a decade (lets say from Thomas at Anfield, through Italia 90 the formation of the Premier League and the European Championships of 1996) is responsible for the cultural behemoth football is today in this country.  

• Like 1

The only 3 World Cups i've watched are 02, 06 and 10. And 06 was the best for me, yes England were sh-t but Zidane was absolutly brilliant and the general feeling throughout that World Cup was brilliant and the kick off times were perfect.

The World Cup in South Africa was utter utter garbage, the vuvuzela's were so incredibly **** annoying, England were even worse and it was quite a boring World Cup.

Edited by Avfc96

Kempes and Luque for Argentina. Brilliant.

Would have gone for 1982 but when that amazing Brazil side got knocked out it was a travesty

• Like 1

Just too young to remember Italia 90 unfortiantely.

PRobably Frane '98 for my favourite. I do have fond memories of 1994, and it was the first world cup I remember watching. But no England.

I think I enjoyed 94, because England weren't there. It meant I could watch without pressure, and just enjoy the football. I remember how good the Romanians and Bulgarians were, and that the Germans didn't seem as invincible as they used to all of a sudden. Plus like any one with the slightest inkling of Irish blood, I followed Ireland. Helped by the fact they had McGrath, Staunton, Townsend and Houghton. I was gutted when they got knocked out by Mexico.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â