The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’d be looking now and if something good comes along then jump, if it doesn’t then there’s the 3 months pay as backup plan. 

Indeed, I am starting to look now.

Ideal scenario is I get a new job with a nov/early Dec start date 🤞

Thanks Dave.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

amazed this is legal. who decides whether you've suitably transferred sufficient level of knowledge? there must be a way of evidencing this. otherwise i'd be worried about being screwed because you missed off telling them one tiny thing.

I think it’s more about staying until the last day and not leaving them in the shit hence why they offer an incentive not to just leave now.

They can’t prove how well you transferred knowledge, if you stay till the end you get the bonus.

• Like 2

A long time ago 10 minutes into an interview I questioned the advertised salary range and was told that I would have to start at the lowest end despite having all the qualifications and experience. This would have been a huge drop in my current salary. Told them that I would like to stop the interview and withdraw my application, stood up and walked out....they were speechless 😊. It felt good.

An interview is a 2 way process and if you feel that you are wasting their and your time then there is no point in continuing.

In my experience interviewers have very little experience of conducting interviews.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

A long time ago 10 minutes into an interview I questioned the advertised salary range and was told that I would have to start at the lowest end despite having all the qualifications and experience. This would have been a huge drop in my current salary. Told them that I would like to stop the interview and withdraw my application, stood up and walked out....they were speechless 😊. It felt good.

An interview is a 2 way process and if you feel that you are wasting their and your time then there is no point in continuing.

In my experience interviewers have very little experience of conducting interviews.

I found this out. Like when your younger you tend to look up to the interviewers because your 20 something and they are older and you think they have the experience.

The last interview I had around 6 months ago ( just looking really), they were askng, "so you know this, what do you know about the product, what can you bring to the company." I was just thinking, I've done the same job for 15 years, what more can I say, I can bring my experience, knowledge and loyalty to the brand. Which might sound a bit blunt, but I guess, I just feel the older and more experienced you are, the less you need to prove yourself, especially when you have more experience than the person interviewing you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

amazed this is legal. who decides whether you've suitably transferred sufficient level of knowledge? there must be a way of evidencing this. otherwise i'd be worried about being screwed because you missed off telling them one tiny thing.

Hi Tom,

It's going to be a gradual knowledge transfer probably starting next month when I presume the new lot will sit and watch how we do stuff and ultimately we will shadow them as they gradually take control but be available in case they need assistance. There's no targets as such or measurements to say I've done a good enough job....all I have to do is stick around til the end of the year for maximum financial reward. I clock off 31st Dec and get all my money a week later. I don't intend to go the extra mile helping out. There's about 50 of us doing the KT so it's not all on me. 

The decision to outsource was no doubt made on the golf courses of wherever by the big wigs with no appreciation of how much we do. We're being replaced by people on ⅓ of our salaries so that's all the shareholders care about. When it no doubt goes tits up (it's a massive project ) then I'll have a little chuckle to myself on my way to the dole office.

• Like 1

I went to a job interview once, I’m sitting there with the engineering manager answering his questions all going well over an hour or so. Then some other fella joins, he’s the engineering director. That first hour was apparently just small talk and not the interview. So we have to start again and pause periodically when his phone rings and he chats. It’s about 7pm now. He’s a total prick with a massive ego.

He gave me his business card at the start so first thing the next morning I emailed him to tell him he was incredibly unprofessional and I’d quickly decided I had no desire at all to work for him at this company if that is how he conducts his business.

He didn’t reply, but it felt very liberating.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

The best lesson that nobody ever learns.

Let me tell you, if you're finding them difficult in the interview, you're not gonna like working for them 99% of the time. 

Also, people put so much pressure on themselves in those situations that they turn into robots, reciting their rehearsed answers with no desire to expand. I've been both sides of the desk at many levels in my career, and let me tell you, you can teach almost all people how to do a job, but it's a lot tougher teaching someone how to be 'human'. I'll always side with someone with a sense of personality and a desire to learn over a drone with degree, particularly in my line of work. (No disrespect to anyone with a degree, just the drones)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I have been told by my employer that i (along with 300 others) will be made redundant at the end of the year. However,  to qualify for my full redundancy pay (and an admittedly attractive PILON payment of 3 months extra) I will need to take part in knowledge transfer to the outsourcing company. 

I have done it once before, about 6 years ago and it has to be the most soul destroying experience I've ever known in the workplace. I liken it to digging your own grave before they shoot you. If I didn't need the money I'd bounce before the year's end. 

Compared to what other sorrows some VTers are experiencing it's nothing to moan about I realise, its just bad enough being on the dole in the new year at 59...I just don't need them to twist the knife by rubbing my nose in it. 

Sorry to hear about that mate - at least you're getting the 3 months extra payment if you go ahead with the knowledge share.

Personally I'd get as much as cash out of the company as you can and start looking for a new job or be in a position to start looking in the meantime. Good luck though👍

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I have been told by my employer that i (along with 300 others) will be made redundant at the end of the year. However,  to qualify for my full redundancy pay (and an admittedly attractive PILON payment of 3 months extra) I will need to take part in knowledge transfer to the outsourcing company. 

I have done it once before, about 6 years ago and it has to be the most soul destroying experience I've ever known in the workplace. I liken it to digging your own grave before they shoot you. If I didn't need the money I'd bounce before the year's end. 

Compared to what other sorrows some VTers are experiencing it's nothing to moan about I realise, its just bad enough being on the dole in the new year at 59...I just don't need them to twist the knife by rubbing my nose in it. 

That sucks. I've been in the same position before, albeit with a less attractive offer to stick around. I did stick around but everything was on my terms. If I'm honest, I didn't do all that much in the handover months and regularly bailed to go to interviews. I bagged the incentive but it was a horrible time, being surrounded by people I liked who were in the same boat, all trying to work out their next move. In the grand scheme of your entire career though, it's just a moment in time. It sucks but hopefully you'll move on to something better. 

I remember @BOF telling me years ago that just because there is someone worse off than you, doesn't mean you can't complain about a crappy situation of yours. There's therapy to be had in having a moan. Have at it. 

Will keep an eye on the thread and look forward to hearing you land something good soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â