Missing planes

tonyh29

How about a 3 man flight crew ? Meaning no one is ever left alone in the cockpit,

From what I've read today, some airlines do have a policy of having to have 2 people in the cockpit at any one time. If a pilot needs to absent himself for whatever reason, another member of the crew has to remain in the cockpit until his return. I think it's mandatory policy in the US.

This world is utterly senseless at times. It's hard to get your head around somebody doing this, there is very little you can do to guard against somebody just going nuts.

Agreed.

The only thing to consider is that threat of someone going nuts is present everywhere, not just on a plane.

Someone could go nuts and axe you down in the street for no reason.

Pretty rich coming from me though. I hate flying!

I quite like flying, take off and landing anyway, the bit in between is normally shit and boring. I have to say I never realised the pilot left the cockpit to use the loo, I assumed they had their own one. But you're right, it's just very unlucky for those on board, there really is nothing you can do against someone willing to kill like this, whether it's in an aeroplane or anywhere.

I'm the opposite.

Once we're cruising I'm fine.

It's the take off and landing that shits me up. Take off more than landing.

I've just ordered this book as I'm fed the **** up of being scared of flying. Someone here recommended it so I'm hoping it works

9780717147434_full.jpg

You should look into the Flying without fear programmes that are available. You have an introduction to what happens on a typical flight from experienced pilots and cabin crew. They explain all the safety aspects involved and how planes are designed, built, maintained and operated. They explain all the noises and bumps and such like you may experience. Then you go for a short flight and everything that is happening is explained thoroughly. They have a pretty good success rate at taking the stress out of flying.

Unfortunately there was one such flight recently from Birmingham that got struck by lightning and had some damage to the aircraft occur. I'm guessing that one didn't work quite as well.

On the subject of pilot suicide i'm afraid if someone is hell bent on that course of action there is very little that can be done. to stop them. I wonder how many flights this guy has made thinking today is the day and has just been waiting for the right opportunity to come along. Just waiting for that one time when the captain needed to use the toilet. Scary thought for anybody who has been on a flight recently with this guy up front. 

A couple of days ago on a railway forum I go on someone asked the question about how easy would it be for a train driver to deliberately crash a train and I thought at the time probably as easier than a pilot being able to crash a plane 

I can't really understand the fear of flying ( well I can , just don't get why I suppose)

it wouldn't be any more rational to me than a fear of ships or a fear of trains  .. true trains don't fall out of the sky from 38,000 feet , but the science behind planes is fairly well proven and crashes aren't that frequent if you take every single plane in the sky every day into account.

This world is utterly senseless at times. It's hard to get your head around somebody doing this, there is very little you can do to guard against somebody just going nuts.

Agreed.

The only thing to consider is that threat of someone going nuts is present everywhere, not just on a plane.

I quite like flying, take off and landing anyway, the bit in between is normally shit and boring. I have to say I never realised the pilot left the cockpit to use the loo, I assumed they had their own one. But you're right, it's just very unlucky for those on board, there really is nothing you can do against someone willing to kill like this, whether it's in an aeroplane or anywhere.

I'm the opposite.

I've just ordered this book as I'm fed the **** up of being scared of flying. Someone here recommended it so I'm hoping it works

9780717147434_full.jpg

You should look into the Flying without fear programmes that are available. You have an introduction to what happens on a typical flight from experienced pilots and cabin crew. They explain all the safety aspects involved and how planes are designed, built, maintained and operated. They explain all the noises and bumps and such like you may experience. Then you go for a short flight and everything that is happening is explained thoroughly. They have a pretty good success rate at taking the stress out of flying.

Unfortunately there was one such flight recently from Birmingham that got struck by lightning and had some damage to the aircraft occur. I'm guessing that one didn't work quite as well.

On the subject of pilot suicide i'm afraid if someone is hell bent on that course of action there is very little that can be done. to stop them. I wonder how many flights this guy has made thinking today is the day and has just been waiting for the right opportunity to come along. Just waiting for that one time when the captain needed to use the toilet. Scary thought for anybody who has been on a flight recently with this guy up front. 

A couple of days ago on a railway forum I go on someone asked the question about how easy would it be for a train driver to deliberately crash a train and I thought at the time probably as easier than a pilot being able to crash a plane 

I sent my old dear on that course a few years ago. She still hasn't forgiven me.

They had to drag her on the plane and then she sat with her eyes closed for the whole time. I suspect she had convinced herself beforehand that she wasn't going to engage with the process though. Shame for her as she'll never get to go see his sister in Australia.

Agreed.

I'm the opposite.

9780717147434_full.jpg

Was it me that recommended it? If not it's a coincidence as it was this book that totally changed my experience of flying.

• Like 1

Was it me that recommended it? If not it's a coincidence as it was this book that totally changed my experience of flying.

It may well have been. It was definitely someone on this board.

I hate flying but not because of any nervousness - I get terrible sickness. Haven't actually been sick on a plane for about 8 years but I feel sick all the time (even after taking tablets) and I can't eat on planes which just makes it worse.

I can't really understand the fear of flying ( well I can , just don't get why I suppose)

it wouldn't be any more rational to me than a fear of ships or a fear of trains  .. true trains don't fall out of the sky from 38,000 feet , but the science behind planes is fairly well proven and crashes aren't that frequent if you take every single plane in the sky every day into account.

That's the point with a phobia though isn't it?

It's irrational. I don't understand why people are scared of spiders or clowns but there are plenty of people who are :)

I know that flying is safe. Super safe. You're 18 times LESS likely to die on a flight than you are sat in your own house. I know all this.

Doesn't help though.

Further to the 'key code' and '2 in the cockpit' discussions earlier', from the press conference....

Spohr said that it appears the captain punched in the emergency number into the cockpit door to gain entry, but the co-pilot deployed the five-minute over-ride. He said that, irrespective of all the sophisticated safety devices, “you can never exclude such an individual event”, adding “no system in the world could manage to do that”

Unlike in the US, European regulations do not provide for two people to be in the cockpit at all times, Spohr said. Lufthansa does not voluntarily implement such a protocol, and Spohr said that he is not aware of any of the company’s competitors that have such a procedure. 

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/mar/26/germanwings-plane-crash-investigation-press-conference-live-updates-4u9525

Edited by Wainy316

Regular professional mental health check ups with a consultant psychiatrist, psychologist and other mental health professionals.

Pre flight mental state assessments for staff.

3 people in the cabin, leaving no less than 2 at all times

Remote control override (if this is even possible?)

There must be more they can do also. As long as these things are in place you should be fine. You can never 100% guarantee of course but you can at least try and improve things.

But these things cost money and as airlines are one of the greediest industries around means these things will never happen.

• Like 3

I hate flying but not because of any nervousness - I get terrible sickness. Haven't actually been sick on a plane for about 8 years but I feel sick all the time (even after taking tablets) and I can't eat on planes which just makes it worse.

I had a friend like that and somehow he worked out it was the smell of food at altitude that made him feel ill, so he started wearing a swimming nose clip and it sorted it out. Dunno if it's worth a try for you.

So was the co-pilot a christian extremist?

You're using the tragic death of hundreds, including children and infants, to make a point about your feeling of victimhood?

That's actually made me a little angry. Disgusting. Do you have no sense of decorum? Or is your apparent victimhood more important right now?

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 4

The co-pilot recently passed his psychological evaluation, so either he was really good at masking his true underlying mental state or there is a flaw in their evaluation process. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â