Missing planes

tonyh29

I struggle to think of any reason that would justify killing a few hundred innocent people.

Which reminds me of the 80s when the Russkies shot down a Korean airliner.

I struggle to think of any reason that would justify killing a few hundred innocent people.

Which reminds me of the 80s when the Russkies shot down a Korean airliner.

Good episode of air crash investigates regarding that flight ... Mainly pilot error but a small part was the us spy plane that was also using it as cover

A few days ago, someone (Australian) on the radio said in an incredibly laid back (and very Australian) way that they weren't sure if the debris they'd spotted in the Ocean was a plane, it could just be a container that fell off a ship.

I remember thinking 'fell off?' that seems a little unlikely, how often do containers just 'fall off' ships and why is this bloke talking about it as if it's an everyday thing?

It turns out that up to 10,000 containers fall off ships every year. 

Okay, hundreds of people have died, but on the bright side I have at least learned something I've found moderately surprising and reasonably entertaining.

My apologies for not furthering the debate at all.

Sorry about the whole thing.

As you were.

• Like 1

A few days ago, someone (Australian) on the radio said in an incredibly laid back (and very Australian) way that they weren't sure if the debris they'd spotted in the Ocean was a plane, it could just be a container that fell off a ship.

I remember thinking 'fell off?' that seems a little unlikely, how often do containers just 'fall off' ships and why is this bloke talking about it as if it's an everyday thing?

Okay, hundreds of people have died, but on the bright side I have at least learned something I've found moderately surprising and reasonably entertaining.

As you were.

Have you never googled the yellow plastic ducks ? There's something like 25,000 of them drifting around the ocean for over 15 years now

The company said it was able to provide a location with a margin of error of about 100 miles

Not knowing the reliability of Africa's best read, I apologize in advance for any inacurracies, but the comments are reported as follows:

Prime Minister Najib Razak said: "Based on their new analysis, Inmarsat and the AAIB have concluded that MH370 flew along the southern corridor, and that its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth.

"This is a remote location, far from any possible landing sites. It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform you that, according to this new data, flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean."

He added that they had used a "type of analysis never before used in an investigation of this sort".

The new method "gives the approximate direction of travel, plus or minus about 100 miles, to a track line,"

As you were.

Reminds me of that time a few years back containers were washing up on some english beach and a guy was driving round in a brand new bmw motorbike :D

...my objection to the DG theory is that you're far too credible of the US Air Force, Peter.

I'm loathe to say this, Levi, but I don't think that makes any sense.

loath

• Like 1

You give the US far too much credit.

It is not an omniscient beast. At best, it is a corrupt entity that regularly overrides domestic and international laws to keep power.

But it is not some all seeing eye that monitors everything in the world. There are no land radars in the southern Indian Ocean. If there are submarines, they would only register the impact of the plane crash IF they were within a good vicinity of the crash site. Listening posts underwater have limited range and encounter tons of data considering the volatility of the southern Indian Ocean.

... says the guy with the US flag as his profile pic.

What are you trying to cover up Kwan. Aye? Aye!?

:detect:

;)

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

There are over 30 aviation disasters each year, I guess this one is getting more reaction because of the mystery surround it.

But not 30 disasters where a few hundred people die to be fair.

....The aim is to find the plane, not work out why some people saw/reportedly saw "not the one we're looking for" near their houses....

Surely the first question would be whether it was the one they are looking for, and if it's not, then be able to say why it's not?

Hold on. It was a report in an Indian online Newspaper that some people saw a plane nowhere near where they're looking. They'd be spending all day everyday knocking down theories, witness reports, cranks and whatever else. There's no end to it. "Why didn't they say why they've discounted this report as well then...ah, so it must be true..."

The point is to find the plane, perhaps saying why they're looking in a particular area, not to explain why every individual other area/alleged sighting/theory/rumour is not being followed up on.

While people can validly comment on poor comms at times, delays and such like, and on the humanity of some of the media stuff, I'm not sure that picking individual bits off the internet and asking why this or that hasn't been specifically addressed gets anyone anywhere.

Wow.  Quite a jump to go from what I've said to having to explain every rumour that's out there.  A truly Olympian leap, in fact.

A number of witnesses are reported to have seen a plane with markings the colour of that airline, in a place which is in the direction the missing plane was last known to be flying in, at a time consistent with how long it would have taken to get there (as I understand), flying in a manner which attracted comment, in an area obviously well covered with radar (even if you believe that vast other areas of the sea are invisible to the US spy apparatus, which I have to say I don't).

Why would such a set of reports not be investigated?  It beggars belief.

It's not exactly diverting the search effort for someone to be able to say "No, we've identified it, it was flight xxx, from a to b, that's all".  Perhaps this has been done, and I and many others have simply missed it.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â