Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Ghost

I always want to go in there as I used to go in with my brother and mom when it was full of mega drive stuff.  I think it used to have an upstairs??

But I went in a couple of years ago and it's just too expensive compared to other places.

not only is it 900p on the Xbox, but it only runs at 30fps too

There's a good list of native framerate comparisons here http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

But that link says the PS4 is 108op @30FPS. The PS4 version has an extra 180 pixels over the Xbone, so essentially they are pretty much the same?

Edited by villa89

not only is it 900p on the Xbox, but it only runs at 30fps too

There's a good list of native framerate comparisons here http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

But that link says the PS4 is 108op @30FPS. The PS4 version has an extra 180 pixels over the Xbone, so essentially they are pretty much the same?

It was listed as 1080@60 when I posted that link up, they obviously erred with that

First impressions (a couple of hours in)

- It looks incredible, beautiful level of detail and excellent lighting effects

- The combat is very solid and intuitive and reminds me of a cross between Arkham Asylum / City and Assassins Creed

- There doesn't appear to be a massive amount of variation in gameplay - but I put that down to how little i've played so far

So, pretty impressed so far.

Variety is my biggest concern, but hopefully if they've been inspired by Assassin's Creed and the Arkham games then there will be a fair few side missions and collectables to put break up the main storyline.

Edited by Ginko

- There doesn't appear to be a massive amount of variation in gameplay - but I put that down to how little i've played so far

I've read a bit on different forums about this game and that's what everyone keeps coming back to. It's a very good game but it's essentially lather, rinse, repeat.

Yes, played it a lot and I can tell you what the game entails.

There are two open worlds, one you can later get after you progress in the story.

In the same vain as FC3 or assassin`s creed, there are watch towers where you unlock a fast travel point. The maps are not huge, but adequate for what the game is about.

You can ride two different types of monsters, which you can approach captains and stuff and fight with. There are small markers on the map that relates to your weapons.

Bow, dagger and sword. Dagger is used in stealth, bow for long range or to blow up explosives and sword for fighting. These markers give you small objectives which will reward you with

meridia point(I think that is what it's called) which you use for unlocks. You can also get these points by selling runes you pick up from captains you have killed.

But most of all, you must love the fighting. The game mostly entails fighting no matter what you do, even when you are

manipulating the nemesis system, you are still basically fighting. I personally found the nemesis system very intriguing because it made me contextualize certain battles and you kinda make up stories

in your head as you go on. They can return even if you kill them, the only way to stop that is if you cut off their head. And when you do executions, it's not always the case that you do that.

Bottom line is that if you don't like the batman type of combat, don't bother. Personally I haven't had this much fun with a game for such a long time, even if it's very repetitive.

• Like 2

Thanks for the write up! I used to spend hours just roaming AC picking battles with the largest group of Templars I could find, so this could be up my street!

Vandaq, do you have friends in the game or is he a lone wolf?

Thanks for the write up! I used to spend hours just roaming AC picking battles with the largest group of Templars I could find, so this could be up my street!

Vandaq, do you have friends in the game or is he a lone wolf?

Get your PS4 sorted Alan!

Well, so far I have gone you only meet two other you interact with but it's very much in the vain that you are the only one in the world that is fighting this evil, if that makes sense. There are cutscenes where you see others but there is no village for the "common" folk or anything like that. So yes, he is very much a lone wolf. You do get the ability to "braid" after a while and then you can convert the orcs to fight for you. The only downside of this is that you cannot make them follow you which is a shame.

Last part I will mention which is pretty important is that not all captains really roam about. You activate it in the same manner you activate a mission. So you go to the certain spot, you start it and then they can have a feast or having a showdown with another captain for instance. But on some you will see that it only reveals within an area they are, it highlights on the map in a green outline. On warchiefs, this will never be the case. It would have been so much fun if every single one of them where always roaming the map but it's not the case. As I said, some are so you can suddenly meet someone out in the wild but most of them are not. I thought this would ruin it a lot for me before I got but it didn't do that. You can also meet others there when you mess with them and in some cases I ended up fighting about 6 of them plus a lot of random orcs.

One thing I will say is that this definitely isn't an easy game (which is a good thing). 

You really have to work on your strategies when taking on multiple enemies if you don't want to get overwhelmed. 

Yeah, I'd mostly on fought 1-2 at a time and done stealth kills, when I ended up fighting 7 or so, I ended up having to just run. It's nice to not have something so easy.

I've found using the buildings and structures a decent tactic. Get up high and pick them off until they chase you, then get back to ground level and attack them coming down.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â