In An Alternate (Villa) Universe

P3te

Doug Ellis doesn't sell to Lerner in 2006 and then Barry moves to Portsmouth for £3m.  Villa then go down in the 06/07 season.

I guess we still have that to thank Lerner for.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if we hadn't sold up that season we'd have gone down the following.

(This is in no way intended as a defence of Lerner)

Edited by Stevo985

Villa sign Denis Bergkamp and have our pick of the best young players across Europe who want to come and play in a side with him in it, trophies galore follow and Villa are seen as an example to all as to how the beautiful game should be played.

Has there ever been a rumor that Bergakamp was coming to the Villa?

Yeah there was a link probably teniuous as they often were when deadly was around can't remember the exact year mind. Could write a book on the players he 'nearly' signed.

Villa sign Denis Bergkamp and have our pick of the best young players across Europe who want to come and play in a side with him in it, trophies galore follow and Villa are seen as an example to all as to how the beautiful game should be played.

Yeah there was a link probably teniuous as they often were when deadly was around can't remember the exact year mind. Could write a book on the players he 'nearly' signed.

I seem to remember us being linked with Bergkamp while I was at Uni and before he signed for Arsenal. I would guess it was around late 1994 and early 1995. He was though, playing for Inter Milan at the time I think, and we had just put them out of the UEFA cup on pennos at Villa Park. Take a bow, Phil King...

We also got linked with Benni McCarthy (sic) once as a result of getting battered by him and some Spanish club in the UEFA cup a few seasons later...

There was another link in the mid-1990s too with a Liberian striker named... gosh, I just can't remember his name. He was quite famous too... Did he play for AC Milan? I genuinely cannot remember his name right now... I am getting old.

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 2

I'd read it :)

• Like 1

Shearer, Ferdinand, Gazza, Juninho, Roberto Carlos, Fowler, Bergkamp.

All linked fairly strongly with Villa at one time or another, some links had more merit than others.  I know Juninho (and I think Gazza) actually got as far as visiting Villa Park.  I also think Roberto Carlos could very well have happened but for Herbert Ellis as well.

• Like 2

It is early June 2011. Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner have just completed their final interview with Alex McLeish in connection with the Aston Villa manager's job.

Randy turns to Paul and says: "You know what, Paul? He looks fine on paper but there's just something about him - too negative, too defensive, maybe a bit out of his depth in this job. And I just can't see the fans ever accepting him. Let's say "no" and try again for Moyes..."

• Like 1

It's 1875 in the Parallell Universe. Nobody as the remotest inclination to form small heath alliance as such a pointless idea or exercise could ever occur to anyone & it never happens.

In the same Universe in 2014 Chinese Entrepeneur Carson Yeung finds himself incarcerated in a Hong Kong jail.

Somethings are even impossible to change on fantasy island. :P

All linked fairly strongly with Villa at one time or another, some links had more merit than others.  I know Juninho (and I think Gazza) actually got as far as visiting Villa Park.  I also think Roberto Carlos could very well have happened but for Herbert Ellis as well.

If you ever read Littles bio - we had Carlos over on trial when he was after a left wing back, and said he took the decision to send him back as he felt he was "too small"......... he then went onto sign Alan Wright............ 12months later Carlos made his name at Euro 96 and the rest is history !!

AFAIK, Gazza went to Rangers because they would pay quite a bit higher salary than english clubs...and given how they paid half of the salaries as "loans", it's no wonder.

"Has there ever been a rumor that Bergakamp was coming to the Villa?"- The Evening Mail reported on their front page that he arrived at BHX and was met by the then chairman in his Rolls Royce so it is little wonder that he signed for Arsenal shortly afterwards Danishlad. I can think of a few managers/chairmen that would not have let him out of B6 until he signed (Brian Clough springs to mind) but back then the then chairman was keen to be linked with players like him and Lampard (who he claimed we matched the £11m Chelsea bid for after they had signed him as I recall) as long as he did not have to go on to sign them. 

Going back a lot further in his book Danny Blanchflower said Villa could have signed Dave Mackay for £20,000 to play alongside him before he signed for Spurs but we would not stump up the cash. Those 2 double winners could have made us quite a team in the late 50s/early 60s... 

Edited by John

the Juninho saga tends to come up in these types of threads but we dodged a bullet there - never got close to his original Middlesboro form when he returned to the prem

im sure the gazza, ferdinand and bergkamp  links were all in the summer of 1995. We ended up with savo/draper/southgate instead and i was fuming. They didnt do too badly in the end though...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â