Benefit Street

supernova26

what i liked was the guy from the area who set-up his own business selling basic goods at 50p a cup.

Sounds like a loss leader for his line in opiates.

yes, possibly.

but i think he was making a good profit margin, selling something costing 15-30p for 50p.

but i think he was making a good profit margin, selling something costing 15-30p for 50p.

So you liked the guy who was exploiting the already poor?

Exploiting the poor? Really?

The margins may look big in percentages I guess but I very much doubt he made much.

Edited by samjp26

what i liked was the guy from the area who set-up his own business selling basic goods at 50p a cup.

You mean Smoggy? the bloke who apparently has never tried to sell stuff on that street before the TV bosses asked him to?

The first episode featured an appearance by 'the 50p' man, a local named Smoggy who would sell household goods for slashed prices, and sometimes give them away to the especially needy.

Miss Howe said that the producers asked him to stop at their house and offer the cheap essentials, even though they had never felt the need to use his services before.

She said: 'Film crews were always at us to stunt things up. We were asked to have our door used by the 50p man.

'I said it was okay but didn’t feel comfortable doing it because it felt like we were lying - he’s never knocked at our door before.

Sam, "white dee" is out on police bail atm for selling drugs, and stole £13,000 in her job as an admin assistant to fund he blokes drug habbit.

Real diamond she is

I didn't say she was a diamond and I am going off what I see, I do not know her, although after quickly Googling I see "Black Dee" is on bail but hasn't actually been charged with anything.

The premise of what I said still stands, people need help in more ways than a simply financial top-up every 2 weeks, especially if they have drug or drink addictions.

I completely agree, giving drug users money isn't helping them and they are in a vicious circle, but I work in these sort of streets everyday and its an eye opener when you see not just one, but a group of blokes drinking kestrel super at 10am

Didn't watch it, no intention of watching shite reality TV. Sick of hearing about it on the radio as well.

Hurry up and get Game of Thrones back on

• Like 1

Sam, "white dee" is out on police bail atm for selling drugs, and stole £13,000 in her job as an admin assistant to fund he blokes drug habbit.

Real diamond she is

I didn't say she was a diamond and I am going off what I see, I do not know her, although after quickly Googling I see "Black Dee" is on bail but hasn't actually been charged with anything.

The premise of what I said still stands, people need help in more ways than a simply financial top-up every 2 weeks, especially if they have drug or drink addictions.

I completely agree, giving drug users money isn't helping them and they are in a vicious circle, but I work in these sort of streets everyday and its an eye opener when you see not just one, but a group of blokes drinking kestrel super at 10am

It is definitely an eye opener, but it makes me wonder how it happens and why anybody would want to live in such a way. I know it won't be the case for them all, but I'd like to think that many of them would jump at the chance to get properly clean and make a decent living. Thing is, if I told one of them that they could do it they'd probably laugh, which is a shame because I am 100% sure it is possible but again a helping hand is needed to show them. 

So you liked the guy who was exploiting the already poor?

i liked his drive to earn money rather than steal it.

(but it seems it may have been set-up anyway, according to other posts)

Exploiting the poor? Really?

The margins may look big in percentages I guess but I very much doubt he made much.

The point being that the poster said that what he liked about the program was the the person who made (according to the poster) 40 to 70% on selling stuff to people in his neighbourhood.

I have no idea the truth of what Ender was posting - that's for you to take up with him.

Exploiting the poor out of 50p?!?! Haha

QFT.

i liked his drive to earn money rather than steal it.

There is (or at least ought to be) a difference between an entrepreneurial spirit and a spirit to extract as much as possible from 'customers'.

Edit:

So, according to other posts (and your ref), yer man seems to be a bit of a set up? Not meant to appeal to a certain viewer 'group', at all, then?

Comedy bloody gold.

Edited by snowychap

Real diamond she is

It is definitely an eye opener, but it makes me wonder how it happens and why anybody would want to live in such a way. I know it won't be the case for them all, but I'd like to think that many of them would jump at the chance to get properly clean and make a decent living. Thing is, if I told one of them that they could do it they'd probably laugh, which is a shame because I am 100% sure it is possible but again a helping hand is needed to show them.

Im sure they would all love a chance at earning an honest living but companies need to be forced to pay an honest wage.

Why should anyone do back breaking demeaning work in a first world country to be paid a wage that barely covers a humans basic need should as food.

The government dont give a damn about us. Thats why they allow companies to exploit people by paying bullshit wages whilst the fat cats count their ever increasing profits.

Until companies pay real wages that enable people to afford the basics then their really is no incentive for the less fortunate to come off benefits.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â