Grant Holt

samjp26

I'm not wild about Holt. Not as non-plussed as some, but not overjoyed.

But the derisory and incredibly juvenile and utterly unfunny comments - regarding his weight - on here are embarrassing .Fa

As we have a sort of code about poking fun at each other would it not be reasonable to refrain from doing it about one of our own players who, to the best of my knowledge, has done no harm to the Club whatsoever ?

Fantastic post, you are a credit to this forum.

Seconded.

I'm not sure about outrageous success, but given the small initial fees I would think Westwood, Bacuna and Lowton have probably all quadrupled in value if not more.

Bacuna was £800k so yes. Westwood and Lowton were like £2m each so I don't believe either has quadrupled in value or even tripled.

Were they? I was thinking they were both less than that, but if it's the case then I agree. Maybe doubled in value though, and I wouldn't think either have dropped.

I don't think many, if any, of Lambert's signings will have dropped in value if we decided to sell them.

That's one huge positive in the types of players he signs.

Even if they don't work, they won't lose us tonnes of money and will be much more saleable than our previous "bomb squad"

It's not something you can really praise the manager for though since the majority of players he has bought in the first place have cost so little.

That type of theory put forward to defend Lambert is nothing short of having your cake and eating it.

This is such a bizarre post.

Your first sentence, I'm not even sure what it means. Lambert buys cheap players, they increase in value, but you can't praise him for it because they were cheap in the first place? Why not?! Because it doesn't suit your argument?

Your second sentence, I don't think that saying works in this situation? How is claiming that a positive of Lambert's signings is that I don't think many will have dropped in value "having my cake and eating it"?

Do you know what that phrase means?

Oh I think you know what I mean alright.

The fact that lambert has had to buy cheaply and that is the excuse used to defend poor results yet we must also praise him for doing this when they don't work out because they haven't cost much in the first place. That my friend is having your cake and eat it and please less of the patronisation as it is quite evident that I do know what the phrase means.

Join the queue and correct me if I'm wrong, but Hold has probably played less than 100 minutes for us. He hasn't been great, but he's hardly had a fair crack at it so far.

Let's not write him off COMPLETELY.

Has this guy Hold been promoted from the academy?

Join the queue and correct me if I'm wrong, but Hold has probably played less than 100 minutes for us. He hasn't been great, but he's hardly had a fair crack at it so far.

Yes, along with Kovak and Clarke.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Well I wasnt over keen on the holt signing and do think we could have done better.

But if Holt is in the starting line up tomorrow them he has my backing 100%. Go grab some goals and prove us wrong big man! Utv

If he starts tomorrow, or plays any part in the game, can we just get behind him guys?

Im sure we'll all support him if he plays tomorrow, doubt people have anything against him as a person and we all wan't us to win.

I do think many will be aginst the decision to play him thou, just as we were against the idea of signing him.

I'm not sure about outrageous success, but given the small initial fees I would think Westwood, Bacuna and Lowton have probably all quadrupled in value if not more.

Bacuna was £800k so yes. Westwood and Lowton were like £2m each so I don't believe either has quadrupled in value or even tripled.
Were they? I was thinking they were both less than that, but if it's the case then I agree. Maybe doubled in value though, and I wouldn't think either have dropped.
I don't think many, if any, of Lambert's signings will have dropped in value if we decided to sell them.

That's one huge positive in the types of players he signs.

Even if they don't work, they won't lose us tonnes of money and will be much more saleable than our previous "bomb squad"

It's not something you can really praise the manager for though since the majority of players he has bought in the first place have cost so little.

That type of theory put forward to defend Lambert is nothing short of having your cake and eating it.

This is such a bizarre post.

Your first sentence, I'm not even sure what it means. Lambert buys cheap players, they increase in value, but you can't praise him for it because they were cheap in the first place? Why not?! Because it doesn't suit your argument?

Your second sentence, I don't think that saying works in this situation? How is claiming that a positive of Lambert's signings is that I don't think many will have dropped in value "having my cake and eating it"?

Do you know what that phrase means?

Oh I think you know what I mean alright.

The fact that lambert has had to buy cheaply and that is the excuse used to defend poor results yet we must also praise him for doing this when they don't work out because they haven't cost much in the first place. That my friend is having your cake and eat it and please less of the patronisation as it is quite evident that I do know what the phrase means.

But you've decided on your own accord that I have defended Lambert's signings because he hasn't had much money to spend. Show me where I said that?

He could still quite easily have spent not very much money on experienced players. He could have bought players on the other end of the spectrum. Older, past their best, but still with some ability and experience.

But that would mean we wouldn't be able to sell them if they didn't work out and they'd probably have required more wages.

That's the ONLY point I was making. If that's having my cake and eating it then I'm stumped mate.

He plays tomorrow he will get my full backing. I can't blame Grant Holt for taking the opportunity to jump from a Championship club where he was struggling for game time to come and play for our great club.

I am sure he will do his best just as I am sure he has done his best in the game time he has had so far. The fact his best hasn't been and for me is unlikely to be good enough is down to those managing and running the club as this great club should not have had to sign the amount of sub standard players we have.

Edited by markavfc40

Yes, along with Kovak and Clark.

Mmmm. Except I think Clark is the correct spelling, isn't it?   :)

• Like 4

I'd rather see Helenius start.

I think most people would. Holt at best is going to be a stop gap till summer. Whats the point of pushing him ahead of players we want to develop and bring on. This would be the perfect chance to do that now or even give Andi a shot in his natural position.

Holt might turn out to be brilliant but on the balance of probablities he wont be. I don't hate the guy and I wouldn't begrudge him coming on as a late sub but if Helenius is every going to be ready for the Prem surely he has to be given a chance. All this talk about him being seemingly not good enough smells of bullsh*t.

From the little we ve seen of him he looks half decent.

• Like 1

Yes, along with Kovak and Clark.

Mmmm. Except I think Clark is the correct spelling, isn't it?   :)

Yep - I made a mistake.

Â