Grant Holt

samjp26

What an embarrassing state of affairs when a Championship reject is the favourite to start as our main striker for the last seven games of the season. Challenging for fourth back in 2010 to now (2014) with Grant Holt leading the line. 

It may be devastating but I'm not sure having our 2 main strikers out with long term injuries (and Gabby with a bug) is "embarrassing". You do realise the circumstances under which this has come about don't you?

It's not like we're in this situation by choice FFS.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

What an embarrassing state of affairs when a Championship reject is the favourite to start as our main striker for the last seven games of the season. Challenging for fourth back in 2010 to now (2014) with Grant Holt leading the line. 

It may be devastating but I'm not sure having our 2 main strikers out with long term injuries (and Gabby with a bug) is "embarrassing". You do realise the circumstances under which this has come about don't you?

It's not like we're in this situation by choice FFS.

Couldn't echo this further. It seems to me that the hyperbole culture in football extends beyond the media and some people live by it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about outrageous success, but given the small initial fees I would think Westwood, Bacuna and Lowton have probably all quadrupled in value if not more.

Bacuna was £800k so yes. Westwood and Lowton were like £2m each so I don't believe either has quadrupled in value or even tripled.

Were they? I was thinking they were both less than that, but if it's the case then I agree. Maybe doubled in value though, and I wouldn't think either have dropped.

I don't think many, if any, of Lambert's signings will have dropped in value if we decided to sell them.

That's one huge positive in the types of players he signs.

Even if they don't work, they won't lose us tonnes of money and will be much more saleable than our previous "bomb squad"

It's not something you can really praise the manager for though since the majority of players he has bought in the first place have cost so little.

That type of theory put forward to defend Lambert is nothing short of having your cake and eating it.

Edited by shaggy

I'm not sure about outrageous success, but given the small initial fees I would think Westwood, Bacuna and Lowton have probably all quadrupled in value if not more.

Bacuna was £800k so yes. Westwood and Lowton were like £2m each so I don't believe either has quadrupled in value or even tripled.

Were they? I was thinking they were both less than that, but if it's the case then I agree. Maybe doubled in value though, and I wouldn't think either have dropped.

I don't think many, if any, of Lambert's signings will have dropped in value if we decided to sell them.

Even if they don't work, they won't lose us tonnes of money and will be much more saleable than our previous "bomb squad"

It's not something you can really praise the manager for though since the majority of players he has bought in the first place have cost so little.

That type of theory put forward to defend Lambert is nothing short of having your cake and eating it.

But what else can Lambert do? He clearly hasn't got millions to spend on every player we need so has looked for young players who can improve and make the step up. With that type of policy you are never going to get it correct 100% of the time, but I think Lambert has got it right more often than not. Does that mean he's the greatest manager ever? Obviously not. But overall I think he's done a good job in the transfer market under some fairly difficult conditions, especially the wages issue. 

But back on topic, clearly Grant Holt is not one of the signings that goes for him. I hope he can do some useful job in Bentekes absence, but really not a player I'm pinning much hope on. 

Holt may be a few things....slow, a bit cumbersome, very rusty, getting on a bit......but fat he is not!

I'd like to see some of the villa talk adonis's lined up next to him......

stripped to the waist in front of 40k people....

greased up....

:-(

I was totally with you there......but the 'greased up' bit?

An image too far perhaps?

I don't think the logic of it was ever questioned. Just the ability and fitness levels of the player in question.

seen the Kozak thread? people asking why we signed him as we didn't need a striker

• Like 1

I actually dreamt he scored a hat trick last night in a 5-0 win. I'll take it if it happens tomorrow. In some ways I'm glad we have someone like him as an option for these last few games, though I think we would benefit from giving Weimann a chance through the middle for the last games of the season. If he were to do well we can just look for a winger in the window and let Weimann and Kozak fill in for Benteke until he mends.

• Like 1

I'm not going to accuse Holt of being fat or unfit. The problem is, at 32, he just looks like he's not up to top level football any more. Maybe he can cause problems for Fulham at corners as I can't see him doing much else as his mobility is shot to shit.

Go on Grant lad, take this last shot at the premier league and go and score a few goals!

The thing is, if we hadn't have signed holt, there would be some slagging lambert off for not having a target man back up.

We'll win and he'll score tomorrow.

Johnson up front haha, think he's getting confused with Robinson. I think Holt will start tomorrow and think it may work with him leading the line, rather than playing alongside CB.

Yes meant Robinson, the upset over CB is confusing me.

Holt leading the line? Remind me how many shots Holt has had whilst on the pitch for us?

This is such a bizarre post.

Your first sentence, I'm not even sure what it means. Lambert buys cheap players, they increase in value, but you can't praise him for it because they were cheap in the first place? Why not?! Because it doesn't suit your argument?

Your second sentence, I don't think that saying works in this situation? How is claiming that a positive of Lambert's signings is that I don't think many will have dropped in value "having my cake and eating it"?

Do you know what that phrase means?

Johnson up front haha, think he's getting confused with Robinson. I think Holt will start tomorrow and think it may work with him leading the line, rather than playing alongside CB.

Holt leading the line? Remind me how many shots Holt has had whilst on the pitch for us?

Remind me how many minutes has he actually had? What a stupid question. If Robinson had the same minutes and never had a shot, doubt it would even be mentioned. Think we all agree Holt isn't good enough to be our main man, but IMO he can do a job if needed and hopefully that is tomorrow.

Edited by SikhInTrinity
  • Like 1

I don't think the logic of it was ever questioned. Just the ability and fitness levels of the player in question.

seen the Kozak thread? people asking why we signed him as we didn't need a striker

The logic most certainly was questioned.

I have never been a fan of the Holt signing. I don't think he's even nearly good enough.

BUT I think the logic behind the signing has always been quite obvious with Kozak going out.

• Like 1

the man hasnt scored a goal since august and that was in the championship, what makes anybody think he will start knocking them in now? give the kids a shot instead. i dont belive we will be relegated,but what i do belive is that the outcome of this season will have nothing to do with Holt, never seen him make an impact, never seen him provide any leadership. hes just a big bag of slow "meh"

• Like 1

Remind me how many minutes has he actually had? What a stupid question. If Robinson had the same minutes and never had a shot, doubt it would even be mentioned. Think we all agree Holt isn't good enough to be our main man, but IMO he can do a job if needed and hopefully that is tomorrow.

I would just rather give one of our younger players a go rather than see Holt trudging round the pitch not actually doing much. How will we ever know if they are good enough if we bring in Championship has beings?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â