Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

I think the way we pass the ball or lack of it at times is something the manager should take responsibility for. If we were passing it like Barcelona he'd be rightly praised.

The lack of movement, awareness and poor first touch of our players at times is something the manager should and I'm sure will address.

I agree somewhat but I think that sometimes the players need to be held accountable too

I've backed Lambert heartily from the start; probably through blind faith more that too much else.

But I really got into the game yesterday and found myself getting angrier and angrier than we can't play football.

There was a time in the second half before Albrighton's skier, about 80 mins or something where we were attempting to lay it round to each other in their half under no pressure whatsoever. We were making it tricky for ourselves by not moving well enough and most of the touches had the ball bouncing up off the floor, then Delph and Weimann (I think) exchanged passes and the ball ended up 6 ft in the air after Delph cocked up and Sunderland broke away and won a corner.

They had gone. They were barely even closing us down and we couldn't keep the ball. It's been like this for a while, but yesterday really got to me.

I can't stand it. Sort it out Lambo.

And if I'm making wishes for 2014, please stop doing floated heading-practice-for-centre-halves corners, they are toss. Cheers.

It's unbeleiveable really, but typical that you blame Lambert for this!! You are talking about basic skills that must be practiced every single day in training - if they haven't got those skills by now it's highly unlikely that a few extra hours on the training pitch are going to sort that out.

I can understand why some posters might criticise tactics, or team selection, or what players have been bought (although largely if not entirely I feel that this is done by posters from a posiiton of absolute ignorance) but to critise Lambert for a lack of basic skills (in players he didn't even purchase) is a step to far.

So if these same players start passing the ball well I take it you won't give the manager any credit?

I'm not criticising either players ability to pass the ball, the original poster did that. I also don't think that we are that bad at passing the ball but at the moment we are set up to get the ball forward very quickly. 

My point is that if someone thinks Delph and Weimann lack the neccesary skills to pass the ball, I would lay that issue at the players door not at Lamberts.

It all stems from hesitancy from not knowing what they are even trying to do. There is not enough of a game plan. I don't think giving the opponent 65% possession, but break as fast as we can is a great tactic to employ in every game we play. That's all I see at the minute.

Every player can improve, and if they worked on moving the ball round more in training, they would be better at it on the pitch. Have you seen the improvement in Everton players keeping the ball this season? It all stems from the manager and his plans. I want Lambert to come up and work on a better one.

I've backed Lambert heartily from the start; probably through blind faith more that too much else.

But I really got into the game yesterday and found myself getting angrier and angrier than we can't play football.

There was a time in the second half before Albrighton's skier, about 80 mins or something where we were attempting to lay it round to each other in their half under no pressure whatsoever. We were making it tricky for ourselves by not moving well enough and most of the touches had the ball bouncing up off the floor, then Delph and Weimann (I think) exchanged passes and the ball ended up 6 ft in the air after Delph cocked up and Sunderland broke away and won a corner.

They had gone. They were barely even closing us down and we couldn't keep the ball. It's been like this for a while, but yesterday really got to me.

And if I'm making wishes for 2014, please stop doing floated heading-practice-for-centre-halves corners, they are toss. Cheers.

It's unbeleiveable really, but typical that you blame Lambert for this!! You are talking about basic skills that must be practiced every single day in training - if they haven't got those skills by now it's highly unlikely that a few extra hours on the training pitch are going to sort that out.

I can understand why some posters might criticise tactics, or team selection, or what players have been bought (although largely if not entirely I feel that this is done by posters from a posiiton of absolute ignorance) but to critise Lambert for a lack of basic skills (in players he didn't even purchase) is a step to far.

So if these same players start passing the ball well I take it you won't give the manager any credit?

I'm not criticising either players ability to pass the ball, the original poster did that. I also don't think that we are that bad at passing the ball but at the moment we are set up to get the ball forward very quickly. 

My point is that if someone thinks Delph and Weimann lack the neccesary skills to pass the ball, I would lay that issue at the players door not at Lamberts.

It all stems from hesitancy from not knowing what they are even trying to do. There is not enough of a game plan. I don't think giving the opponent 65% possession, but break as fast as we can is a great tactic to employ in every game we play. That's all I see at the minute.

Every player can improve, and if they worked on moving the ball round more in training, they would be better at it on the pitch. Have you seen the improvement in Everton players keeping the ball this season? It all stems from the manager and his plans. I want Lambert to come up and work on a better one.

No you've taken one incident when two players between them mis-controlled the ball and used that single incident to damn Lambert, his tactics and his training methods in one fell swoop. In my opinion you don't know what your talking about

• Like 1

I don't think they need to take a pay cut, it suggests that if they're playing well enough to earn it then we'll pay it. Players like Collins and dunne etc where sucking the club dry. If gabby and delph perform then they'll get paid the same.

And how happy do you think Benteke will be if Gabby gets a renewed contract much bigger than his?

Or if Delph gets a renewed contract earning 2 or 3 times what the other midfilders are earning how long will it be before the other midfielders are on the phone to their agents looking for the exit?

You can only keep players happy if they feel the situation is fair for everyone.

Its been stated that there is no wage cap so if they play well enough to deserve it then they'll get it. Like Suarez at Liverpool, he's by far their highest earner but do you think other players are complaining?
He is also their best player, of course they will not mind him being top earner.

Gabby is not as good as Benteke. How will Benteke feal being told there is only enough money at the club to offer him a 45k pw deal and then Gabby signs a 60k deal in the summer? He will be on the phone to his agent right away.

The same with the midfielders. Delph has been one of our better performers but he has not been 3 times better than Westwood. Westwood will want similar pay to Delph for performing to a similar standard in a similar position.

Those high contracts are left over from the free spending days and will have to be brought into line with current club policy when they run out.

Not at all. Once again there is no wage cap, there's a structure in place for last season and this season. Not once has it been stated that those left from the Mon days will need to reduce their wages, especially when in the prime of their career. They can't expect an increase but certainly not a decrease, if performing and deserving of course. To suggest benteke deserves the same contract as gabby after one good season is ludicrous.

It is just basic man management.

You can't be paying one or two of your squad members much higher wages than your best players earn. It will ruin team moral.

Players will tolerate it for now if they are told that Delphs wages were a left over from the old policy but if his contract runs out and he is offered a new one, still earning 3 times more than his team mates, there will be a revolt.

• Like 1

If there's no wage cap why did all our summer signings get £15,000 per week or less?

Because that's what they're worth?

We could of brought in 2 players for the same wages as the 6 that we did combined. But we need bodies so the only way to do that is to bring in 'lesser' players if you like.

Its like RL says there's 100k a week wages available. So you either bring in 2 players on 50k each or 5 on 20k, there's no wage cap but a structure and budget.

• Like 1

"The FA Cup is something we can do without."

Paul Lambert.

Forget the cup runs, those days are over it seems.

We certainly could do without it though due to our injuries and league performance..

Edited by Swerbs

I don't think they need to take a pay cut, it suggests that if they're playing well enough to earn it then we'll pay it. Players like Collins and dunne etc where sucking the club dry. If gabby and delph perform then they'll get paid the same.

And how happy do you think Benteke will be if Gabby gets a renewed contract much bigger than his?

Or if Delph gets a renewed contract earning 2 or 3 times what the other midfilders are earning how long will it be before the other midfielders are on the phone to their agents looking for the exit?

You can only keep players happy if they feel the situation is fair for everyone.

Its been stated that there is no wage cap so if they play well enough to deserve it then they'll get it. Like Suarez at Liverpool, he's by far their highest earner but do you think other players are complaining?
He is also their best player, of course they will not mind him being top earner.

Gabby is not as good as Benteke. How will Benteke feal being told there is only enough money at the club to offer him a 45k pw deal and then Gabby signs a 60k deal in the summer? He will be on the phone to his agent right away.

The same with the midfielders. Delph has been one of our better performers but he has not been 3 times better than Westwood. Westwood will want similar pay to Delph for performing to a similar standard in a similar position.

Those high contracts are left over from the free spending days and will have to be brought into line with current club policy when they run out.

Not at all. Once again there is no wage cap, there's a structure in place for last season and this season. Not once has it been stated that those left from the Mon days will need to reduce their wages, especially when in the prime of their career. They can't expect an increase but certainly not a decrease, if performing and deserving of course. To suggest benteke deserves the same contract as gabby after one good season is ludicrous.

Ludicrous?????? I love Gabby, he Claret & Blue through and through but I would guess that if you told 19 other PL clubs that they could have either CB or Gabby on a free, 19 out of 19 would be willing to offer Benteke a better contract

I agree with you from a potential perspective. But thats a different argument from saying gabby will need to drop his wages. If benteke performs for the next couple of seasons then the club will pay him the same as gabby.

Gone are the days of bringing in average players on ridiculous wages.

PL didn't honestly think that Clarke and baker were better options than dunne and Collins. If dunne and Collins were prepared to play for wages closer to those 2 then he wouldn't of got rid.

No you've taken one incident when two players between them mis-controlled the ball and used that single incident to damn Lambert, his tactics and his training methods in one fell swoop. In my opinion you don't know what your talking about

If you think there's only been one incident then you haven't watched us much. Our passing and movement has been atrocious this season.

We've been struggling to pass the ball for 3 years now, I wanted, and expected Lambert to sort it out. I'm still hoping he will, but the delay has frustrated me.

I assure you I do know. I can only assume you not seeing these shortcomings means we see the game very differently  :(

I'm with Lambert re: the cup to be honest.

We aren't going to win it. Even if you get to a final then the likelihood is you'll be screwed over by a referee, who often favour the top lot, especially in games such as a final. It didn't do much good for Wigan last year. Or small heath the year before that.

It's a shame, and I wish it was different.

Saying that, I'd rather we didn't lose on Saturday as it'll be rather embarrassing. 

I'm with Lambert re: the cup to be honest.

We aren't going to win it. Even if you get to a final then the likelihood is you'll be screwed over by a referee, who often favour the top lot, especially in games such as a final. It didn't do much good for Wigan last year. Or small heath the year before that.

It's a shame, and I wish it was different.

Saying that, I'd rather we didn't lose on Saturday as it'll be rather embarrassing. 

I'm not with Lambert and I'm disappointed in his comments. It's not like we're in the Europa League and have to go play in Ukraine on a Thursday. it's a Saturday game at Villa Park with a full week until the next fixture. I know we've fallen away over the last few years but really it shouldn't be too much to ask to compete in the occasional cup games and see where you get to. Doesn't mean you can't mix the side up if people are tired or needing an opportunity, but if we draw Man Utd in the 4th round I expect us to go full strength and try and win the game. After all, if we don't compete in the cups, we're going to be resigning ourselves to not winning anything again for a very long time. 

• Like 2

I'm also with Lambert. I don't think he should have said anything mind, but I get where he's coming from.

Daily Mail seems to think we're 'angered' by him. Where do they get that from??

Since when has the truth got in the way of the Daily Mail claiming there's outrage with something somewhere.

• Like 4

Of course winning league games is critical.

But isn't this "the cup's not that important" just the usual rouse to lower the pressure and take away from some of the criticism should we lose?

Bollocks, Lambert!

The FA Cup is an important competition. For clubs like the one you are managing, which have apparently set their sights solely mid-table performance, it's one of two chances to win something.

So get out there and try to win it and stop whingeing.

• Like 1