Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Thing is now - project Lambo isn't going to amount to anything. His first batch of signings I thought were pretty decent considering the fee's paid. But last summers signings were poor - none of them look any good - He also neglected CB where our only senior pro - has dubious injury record. Now suddenly from signing hardly anyone above the age of 22 - we suddenly feel the urge to pay a fee for a 31 year old.....

Then he says the FA Cup is a distraction - but then fields a strong team - but we loose anyway - the brightspot is goal from a player who hasn't been selected all season......

I know there are budget restrictions - but a lot of these problems are of his own making ....and he appears all at sea to be honest.

I will hold off calling for his head - mainly because I think he is finished anyway - a heavy defeat v liverpool or Arse will just about see him off .....

I wonder who the two managers will be when play WBA ? Mackay v Adkins ?

really? mind numbing boring I agree, out of the FA cup agree but he's not going to lose his job because we are 11th in the league on a piss poor budget. I think he's miles away from even the thought of getting the sack in Lerners mind, so don't pin your hopes on that Edited by nick76

I feel very low as a Villa fan but the blame for this rests firmly at Lerners door.

Lambert has come in, had the balls to try for these relatively unheard of players, give them a chance & stick with them.

His remit may well have been to bomb out the bomb squad but the fact that he's never been tempted to fall back on them when times got tough is to his credit.

Give him time-he's the whipping boy for lerners total indifference to our ambitions.

I'd add that the job he has done here would make him an attractive proposition for any bottom half side whose aspirations are survival-He's done the job that he was taken on to do-Lets give him a chance to see us through the next phase eh?

Keep it going Lambo-The moaners are in a minority, despite what you might read on here.

• Like 4

Does anyone really believe that he can turn us around to be a competitive side competing for Europe ?

More to the point, does anyone believe that anybody could turn us in a side competing for Europe in 18 months?

Who do you suggest that could do this dounavilla?

It's pretty obvious to me that there is no one available to do this... the manager needs to alter the team in the coming transfer windows. He should be judged on next seasons performances, not this one.

On the whole of planet earth there is not a better football manager for Aston Villa FC.

Mmmmm................!

Your sarcastic response coupled with not giving a candidate is pretty shameful.

And your comment about it being 'pretty obvious to me' is rather self opinionated drivel with no evidence to back it up.

I actually don't want Lambert sacked (yet) as I don't think we're able to attract a better manager that can get these players playing any sort of decent football, not make an instant impact, anyway. Unfortunately an absolutely abysmal squad has been put together, but at this particular point the man currently in charge is the best suited to utilize it. However, things simply must change in the summer, I think we'll just about get four wins and a few draws to stay up then this club must look at its strategy, it's absolutely only a matter of time before luck runs out and the quality of football we play will see us relegated. 

The squad is a relatively lost cause, we took a huge gamble last season on filling the squad with cheap, young players in hope that they would blossom into decent premier league quality players, it's simply not going to happen, the core is just clearly not good enough, the spine is weak and as mentioned in a recent article, the dye has been cast, these 'young' players aren't even particularly young, they're 22/23/24, an age to really step up. They aren't 16/17/18, there'll be very, very minor improvements on players such as Lowton, Westwood, Weimann, Clark, Baker, Albrighton. Our senior players in Guzan, Gabby and Vlaar are consistently our best performers, obviously. The plan just isn't working, it's hopelessly failing. The league is simply too hard to even begin to try and fill a team with so many young players and ride it out, it's almost arrogant to think we could do that and we're getting what we deserve. 

No doubt we'll hear a load more crap from the club about projects and we'll have ITKs on here banging on about glorious 5 year plans and how brilliant everything will be, all hollow words that mean nothing, people need to wake up. That's the problem with this club, all talk, no action.

It's a weird situation, of course I sympathize with the financial restraints he has but there's only so much you can be humiliated like we are, we're such a soft touch it's unreal. If the club is willing to change its model to move us forward, i.e invest in experience and bring through genuine young gems at a slower pace, I think Lambert should be given more time. If the plan is to keep filling the squad with young League 1 players and obscure foreigners from mid table Dutch teams then maybe it's time to give someone else a go as this particular job is just proving to be too difficult for Lambert. Of course, we're currently 11th in the table, from a distance that looks fine but we know there's deep, deep problems here and it's papering over cracks - i'd be extremely surprised if we finished the season with more than 40 points. 

The humiliations, crap football, annoying post game quotes and rubbish signings aside, I still don't believe Lambert should be sacked at this particular moment in time, the summer will be the time to revise this situation. It's a cliche point but we do need to rally after today's latest humiliation.  

I kind of agree - but if we waited until the summer who would you see us getting, better than the readily available McKay ? 

Ellis gets the blame for costing us the title (not signing the right player (we got Fash, then didn't get Izzet) and this was the clubs money.

(Yeah, he look a lot out, but Randy will also get a healthy profit at the end of it).

Lambert gets the blame for costing us (??????) when we have not had the money spent on the team that is needed, let is not forget, there is a lot of money in football right now.

Surely by this logic, Big Ron, Little and Gregory should get the blame for not spending the money in the right places?

Does anyone really believe that he can turn us around to be a competitive side competing for Europe ?

More to the point, does anyone believe that anybody could turn us in a side competing for Europe in 18 months?

It's pretty obvious to me that there is no one available to do this... the manager needs to alter the team in the coming transfer windows. He should be judged on next seasons performances, not this one.

On the whole of planet earth there is not a better football manager for Aston Villa FC.

Mmmmm................!

And your comment about it being 'pretty obvious to me' is rather self opinionated drivel with no evidence to back it up.

It's getting more obvious by every post that goes by without you supplying a candidate.

Don't want Mackay as well as being Scottish he spunked quite a bit of cash at Cardiff but the press were on his side because of Tan being a bit out there...make no mistake Mackay is no improvement on what we've got. We need a foreign manager. We need to do a Southampton.

• Like 2

Mmmmm................!

self opinionated drivel comes in many forms

• Like 1

Thing is now - project Lambo isn't going to amount to anything. His first batch of signings I thought were pretty decent considering the fee's paid. But last summers signings were poor - none of them look any good - He also neglected CB where our only senior pro - has dubious injury record. Now suddenly from signing hardly anyone above the age of 22 - we suddenly feel the urge to pay a fee for a 31 year old.....

Then he says the FA Cup is a distraction - but then fields a strong team - but we loose anyway - the brightspot is goal from a player who hasn't been selected all season......

I know there are budget restrictions - but a lot of these problems are of his own making ....and he appears all at sea to be honest.

I will hold off calling for his head - mainly because I think he is finished anyway - a heavy defeat v liverpool or Arse will just about see him off .....

I wonder who the two managers will be when play WBA ? Mackay v Adkins ?

really? mind numbing boring I agree, out of the FA cup agree but he's not going to lose his job because we are 11th in the league on a piss poor budget. I think he's miles away from even the thought of getting the sack in Lerners mind, so don't pin your hopes on that

As I said, I m not calling for his head. But not many managers survive this - even taking into account Randy's indifference.

• Like 1

I think the saddest thing you can say about today is that the result and performance were not a shock to many of us.

For me it was league one standard players against league one standard players apart from the odd exception.

How you apportion the blame, to Lambert or Lerner, for that is the only thing up for debate I guess. Bottom line is though that Lambert has spent around 40 mill assembling this squad. The wage bill certainly means you cannot expect to assemble a squad good enough to compete with the top 10 in the Prem. However the budget should allow for being able to produce a half decent footballing side and most definitely produce a side that can beat lower league opposition. The manager is failing on both counts.

Our home record under Lambert is a disgrace and an embarrassment for a club of our standing as is the fact we have lost 3 times to lower league opposition in the last year and on each occasion gone out of cups with a whimper.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

I'm not sure what's left to defend him. We have been outplayed in pretty much every game this season. We've managed to get results which see us in a decent league position, at the moment we should add, but performances have just been shocking, truly shocking.

He turned me around with our end last year and I was genuinely excited about our signings early on in the summer but he's failed badly. His signings have done little to add quality to the squad and there's no doubt we are currently playing the worst football I've ever seen us play.

The thing is if he gets sacked where do we go? More transition, more change, more striving to survive all while Lerner will have someone else to take the blame for him.

Mmmmm................!

It's getting more obvious by every post that goes by without you supplying a candidate.

This may surprise you but it's not my job to supply a candidate. However, unlike you, I reckon that there must be someone on this planet that could do a better job.

If you believe that Lambert is the best manager that AVFC could possibly have then fine but I have a sneaky feeling that someone somewhere just might be better.

Here is the problem, it is ok building a team on the cheap - and a decent/refreshing idea - but if it fails, you are ****. You are left with a group of players who are below average.

It is also ok doing this in league 2/1, you build slowly and get better as you go along, but doing this in the top league is suicide, it is a massive chance that means 90% of the buys have to come off, if it was that easy, Man City wouldn't have spent £20 on Rodwell, or £15m on SInclar, they would just buy from the lower leagues.

We have been short changed, we gave the plan a chance because we were fair, but on reflection there are reasons why it has never been tried before.

It took a cost cutter like Lerner to think it could, when FOOTBALL MEN knew it wouldn't.

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 3

Fail to see how anyone can be backing Lambert. I have never such poor football in all my life. No excuse to lose to teams like Sheff Utd with a first team out there. You can't excuse it because we also lost to Millwall and Bradford in the last 12 months.

Unfortunately he won't quit because then he won't get a huge pay off and Lerner won't sack him.

Tim Sherwood a complete unknown in management 1 month ago would be better for us than Lambert. There are people out there than are miles better than him. His tactics are awful and the players just don't have a clue what they are doing.

Don't want Mackay as well as being Scottish he spunked quite a bit of cash at Cardiff but the press were on his side because of Tan being a bit out there...make no mistake Mackay is no improvement on what we've got. We need a foreign manager. We need to do a Southampton.

Lucien Favre - he'd be exactly what we need I reckon.

• Like 1

Here is the problem, it is ok building a team on the cheap - and a decent/refreshing idea - but if it fails, you are ****. You are left with a group of players who are below average.

It is also ok doing this in league 2/1, you build slowly and get better as you go along, but doing this in the top league is suicide, it is a massive chance that means 90% of the buys have to come off, if it was that easy, Man City wouldn't have spent £20 on Rodwell, or £15m on SInclar, they would just buy from the lower leagues.

We have been short changed, we gave the plan a chance because we were fair, but on reflection there are reasons why it has never been tried before.

It took a cost cutter like Lerner to think it could, when FOOTBALL MEN knew it wouldn't.

Wow. That is a terrifically good post.