What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

Hackballchen toskana 

Meatball tuscany...pretty sure this is a German Italian staple that Italians have never heard of, meatballs in a tomato sauce full of cream and then the usual garlic, oregano then you put a slice of mozzarella on top of each Meatball, stick in the oven, serve with spatzle which is German pasta and the absolute bollocks

Maybe my favourite German cuisine 

Basically this - 

IMG_20200704_232017.jpg

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

On 03/07/2020 at 14:23, StefanAVFC said:

It's called Bottiglieria 1881. It just got the Michelin Star this year. It's a 5 course tasting menu.

That looks brilliant, I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.  The menu looks really nice, and the equivalent of £50 for a five course taster menu is brilliant value.  If I was you, I'd go for the wine pairings as well, as you get a nice glass to go with each course, and it'll enhance the experience for you.  

I find that restaurants with newly acquired stars are normally at the very top of their game, and the food will be very inventive, and the service top notch.  A few of us went to Adam's opposite New Street in Brum last year, and it was simply brilliant.  Not stupidly expensive, and the food and drink was amazing.

Conversely, a couple of years ago I took my wife to Paris on the Eurostar for her 40th, and wanting to treat her took her to the 3 Michelin star Restaurant Lasserre.  Absolutely bloody useless, in terms of the food and the overall experience.  The grub was all vastly overpriced, nothing special at all, overcooked in places and just 'meh'.  A starter of three sticks of asparagus with a bit of mushroom spit was something like €40.  The service was incredibly snobbish and haughty.  Places like that dining out on their reputation are best avoided in my opinion.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Risso said:

Conversely, a couple of years ago I took my wife to Paris on the Eurostar for her 40th, and wanting to treat her took her to the 3 Michelin star Restaurant Lasserre.  Absolutely bloody useless, in terms of the food and the overall experience.  The grub was all vastly overpriced, nothing special at all, overcooked in places and just 'meh'.  A starter of three sticks of asparagus with a bit of mushroom spit was something like €40.  The service was incredibly snobbish and haughty.  Places like that dining out on their reputation are best avoided in my opinion.

That's EXACTLY why I had a McDonald's this evening. 

First since lockdown. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/07/2020 at 13:05, cyrusr said:

been to the bistro and can concur it is very good. Ginger's bar does a pretty decent cocktail as well!

For me, what puts me off tasting menus/Michelin stars is that I can be quick a fussy eater and I worry that I will get something that I will have absolutely no desire to eat. When are you booked @StefanAVFC and is it anywhere we would know?

I had a lunch at Adams when it first opened. Very small menu, I think 3 choices only and literally nothing appealed to me. 

I was so disappointed and just ordered the least worse option. 

It was absolutely amazing. 

My takeaway from this is that Michelin Star chefs really know how to make amazing, tasty food. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how I've survived without chipotle powder in my spice rack. Excellent heat but the smokiness is the clincher. I could eat it on ice cream.

• Like 1

Went to Holland for the day, went to a cafe and had a stewed beef and cheese toasted sandwhich which was the dogs danglies followed by some chips in peanut sauce

Went to the supermarket and picked up 2 tubs of said peanut sauce, some packs of apple cookies and a bottle of grape Fanta, twas a great day

Also got my mom over who brought me a bag of home treats, raisin and cinnamon elevenses, country slices, colmans mustard, Worcestershire sauce, dark choc hob nobs, mint sauce, stuffing and I'd never seen it before but aunt Bessie Yorkshire pudding mix 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2020 at 12:46, villa4europe said:

Done a couple and then also a few that were chasing stars and a few more bistros and cheaper eateries owned by Michelin star chefs

There's a lot of negativity around them but I think it's misplaced, they aren't necessarily expensive, there's a good range and lots of special offers and then obviously the portion size

What I found at say purnells is I got an amuse bouche, I then got some bread, I then had a 3 course meal, all of it was perfectly portioned, none of this "I'm not sure I've got room for a pudding" stuff, the pudding was incredible he wants you to enjoy eating it and the richness is deceiving, it looks small but it's filling

My main take away from all of them is that fat running through a piece of meat that is then cooked in a water bath might be the greatest eating pleasure in the world 

Edit - and the biggest difference between a Michelin star restaurant and one chasing a star 

Hide contents

The table service

At purnells it was mind blowing how much of a step up it is, its an experience itself 

Personally didn’t rate Purnells that much. It’s the only Michelin I’ve been to, but folks say Carters Moseley, Simpson’s and Jessica’s are so much better. 

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

Mowgli (the restaurant) house chicken curry. Cooked by me, not them, from the recipe

2F693296-BBE9-4947-8877-6BD50445D197.jpeg

Needs gravy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 03/07/2020 at 12:29, StefanAVFC said:

Booked my (our) first Michelin star restaurant experience for the Mrs' birthday.

Is it fine to be a little bit daunted? 

I've done a few and experience has always been positive.

It is usually pretty expensive, but you if you're doing a tasting menu you usually get a LOT of food, and it's usually pretty **** good.

Obviously there will be bad experiences too, but I imagine you'll enjoy it, especially if you haven't been to a michelin start restaurant before

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

For those of us that are marmite lovers, i found this lil gem at Tesco just now and it's ******** amazing !!

Screenshot_20200720-134714_Photos.jpg

I quite liked the marmite peanut butter so will check this out 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I quite liked the marmite peanut butter so will check this out 👍

Their peanut butter is off the chain ! I buy 3 jars every time i need only one !

The marmite XO is king of savoury spreads #addicted

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Their peanut butter is off the chain ! I buy 3 jars every time i need only one !

The marmite XO is king of savoury spreads #addicted

I know it's american as ****, but I've recently discovered how good a peanut butter and "jelly" sandwich actually is.

Now all I can think about is if Marmite Peanut Butter will improve this or not...

only one way to find out

• Like 2

I love PB, jam and PB and jam together. Toasted in a sliced bagel is best.

I'm not especially fussed about marmite, could take it or leave it.

I had to throw that marmite PB away, it was vile.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â