What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Last time I shopped in our nearest Aldi I got a fanny flash from the girl on the counter.

I like Waitrose, but they've never done that for me.

Inadvertent or, ehh, advertent* :) ?

* Yes I know that's not the antonym

My Indian side dish of choice over the past 6 months has been egg curry.

The horror on some folk's faces when you order it can be quite entertaining.

It's a real 'don't knock it til you've tried it' dish. Everyone we've been out with that has braved it were sold within seconds - Lovely.

The next day can be a bit touch and go, but when you're looking at the menu, the risk seems worth it :)

• Like 1

My Indian side dish of choice over the past 6 months has been egg curry.

The horror on some folk's faces when you order it can be quite entertaining.

It's a real 'don't knock it til you've tried it' dish. Everyone we've been out with that has braved it were sold within seconds - Lovely.

The next day can be a bit touch and go, but when you're looking at the menu, the risk seems worth it [emoji4]

Love having that at home! With potatoes in the curry too! Yum!

On 1/14/2016 at 20:41, Meath_Villan said:

sweet potato in a curry .....its the next level 

Funnily enough, I made myself a sweet potato curry last week for the first time and it was awesome. Dunno why I hadn't thought to do it before.

• 2 weeks later...

Revisited a Sri Lankan cafe we used to frequent years ago when a friend lived above it.

You didn't see many Europeans in there, they made no concessions to the Western palate.

It was amazingly cheap, the lamb rolls were 50-60p and their version of a Scotch egg - Where the meat was curried fish - was 70p.

On a Friday they did a veggie thali for £5. You didn't know quite what you were eating but it was wonderful, and fookin hot!

kcxnx1.jpg

Today, 20 years on, it's still a fiver! It's also still fookin hot!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Xann said:

Revisited a Sri Lankan cafe we used to frequent years ago when a friend lived above it.

You didn't see many Europeans in there, they made no concessions to the Western palate.

It was amazingly cheap, the lamb rolls were 50-60p and their version of a Scotch egg - Where the meat was curried fish - was 70p.

On a Friday they did a veggie thali for £5. You didn't know quite what you were eating but it was wonderful, and fookin hot!

kcxnx1.jpg

Today, 20 years on, it's still a fiver! It's also still fookin hot!

Looks awesome - where is it??

after watching rick stein in shanghai* i tried cooking chairman mao's favourite dish, red braised pork, basically tried to make it like chinese pulled pork rather than using pork belly, sugar, soy sauce, cinnamon, ginger, star anise... was good, not sure if id be better off going to wing yip and just getting a jar of char sui paste (great stuff btw) served it with some potato straws and spring onion

will try it again with a couple of tweaks, definitely a good meal in there somewhere

* i like rick steins BBC travel programmes, watched his india show this morning too, strange considering i think of him as a fish chef that i have little interest in his restaurant because im not a massive fish eater but he's going to interesting places and seems a sound enough bloke to make it a good watch

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â