MNF & Boxing Day football 23/26 December

andykeenan

Still don't think Liverpool will finish top 4. If they lose this and lose to Chelsea they'll probably finish the top half outside the top 4 and no one will talk about the title.

It will be between Liverpool or Man U for that 4th spot but Liverpool have looked the much better bet so far this season.

I agree but I assume Man U will strengthen in January, and historically moyes' teams have been much better in the second half of the season.

And Liverpool won't strengthen?

You bet they will...having the best player in the league clearly helps as well.

Still don't think Liverpool will finish top 4. If they lose this and lose to Chelsea they'll probably finish the top half outside the top 4 and no one will talk about the title.

It will be between Liverpool or Man U for that 4th spot but Liverpool have looked the much better bet so far this season.
I agree but I assume Man U will strengthen in January, and historically moyes' teams have been much better in the second half of the season.

And Liverpool won't strengthen?

You bet they will...having the best player in the league clearly helps as well.

I don't know that they will. They spent a pretty decent amount of money in the summer, compared to united who have the highest revenues in the league and only brought in one player. So even if both sides strengthen, I think united will bring in more quality.

Something else to take into account. For all of Uniteds problems and liverpools good play, there is a great chance that at the half way point this Saturday two points will separate united and Liverpool. IMO united also have the better manager.

I don't know that they will. They spent a pretty decent amount of money in the summer, compared to united who have the highest revenues in the league and only brought in one player. So even if both sides strengthen, I think united will bring in more quality.

Something else to take into account. For all of Uniteds problems and liverpools good play, there is a great chance that at the half way point this Saturday two points will separate united and Liverpool. IMO united also have the better manager.

Doesn't matter, because he cost them almost 30mill pounds - not much less than Liverpool's total expenditure in the same window.

Your second point is a good one - but in response to that, I'd like to point out that with the exception of Utd, Liverpool will play all of the top sides at home in the second half of the season.

United will be in the mix, I'm sure, but their squad is really aging now - they look vulnerable in defence especially - and I think that's going to count against them.

Liverpool have also probably spent the wages earmarked on an additional player on Suarez's new contract.

I think Moyes will have a much better idea of what he needs and the behind the scenes issues that held them back last time should be sorted. United to bring in 2 or 3 really good players and make the top 4 is my prediction.

Bit of justice in Marc Wilson actually getting sent off for being last man this time, shame it didn't beneft us.

Whelan was unlucky and diabolical Atkinson missed that Newcastle handball when he was looking straight at it just before they equalised.

Doesn't matter, because he cost them almost 30mill pounds - not much less than Liverpool's total expenditure in the same window.

Your second point is a good one - but in response to that, I'd like to point out that with the exception of Utd, Liverpool will play all of the top sides at home in the second half of the season.

United will be in the mix, I'm sure, but their squad is really aging now - they look vulnerable in defence especially - and I think that's going to count against them.

According to transfer markt Liverpool spent €62 million. Well more than fellaini. Throw in the fact that united make way more money and they should have way more to spend.

I like the point about Liverpool playing all the top sides at home in the second half though. Should certainly help their cause.

Edited by Rovers13

You are arguing about gross vs net spending here.  Liverpool did spend almost £50m in the summer, but they recouped £25m.  Their net spend was about the same as Manchester United's. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â