Who is going down...

tonyh29

It's hard to judge Poyet because of the mess he inherited with the 14 players Di Canio and De Fanti signed and talk of there being a drinking culture in the dressing room. They even sold their two best players. I guess the jury is still out but they should stick with him and see how does with his own players.

Why out of interest? Spurs have a ridiculous amount of quality all over the pitch compared to Sunderland, that was always going to tell over 90 minutes.

Sherwood is getting a load of undue flack imo, his league record stands at 10 wins out of 17 games which is hardly a terrible record for a rookie manager and compares to what AVB and Brendan Rodgers were doing in their first 17 games and he's been pretty good at beating the bottom half teams since he took over.

The age old problem Spurs have is they just don't beat enough of the other top 6/7 teams and that's been their problem for years. If they had our record against the top teams this season they'd be in 4th now.

If they had our record against the top 4 they would be in the title race!

It would be pointless for Sunderland to sack their manager, even if they go down. 

No manager is going to turn that squad into world beaters. Poyet knows his way around the Championship as well. 

Edited by LondonLax

Lambert has the correct mentality for the lower leagues. I think he could become one of those Neil Warnock/Mick McCarthy types who is hired to try and get promotion to the Premier League but not good enough to stay there.

That wouldn't please the Sunderland fans at least going by what I've read of their opinions of Lambert and they seem to have him down as another Martin O'neill and obviously that didn't work for them. I think a lot see Poyet as the man to get them playing a passing game once he gets his own players in which would be a change after Bruce, O'neill and Di Canio and probably others before.

Cardiff: 94.7% v

Sunderland: 86.0% ^

Fulham: 81.2% v

Norwich: 32.8% v

West Brom: 3.0% v

Palace: 1.0% v

Swansea: 0.8% v

Villa: 0.5% v

Cardiff: 96.1% ^

Fulham: 82.6% v

Sunderland: 77.5% ^

Norwich: 36.9% ^

West Brom: 3.7% v

Palace: 1.3% v

Villa: 1.0% ^

Swansea: 0.9% ^

Lambert has the correct mentality for the lower leagues. I think he could become one of those Neil Warnock/Mick McCarthy types who is hired to try and get promotion to the Premier League but not good enough to stay there.

How do you figure that?!?

He's never been relegated from the premier league despite working on shoe string budgets much smaller than some of the clubs that have gone down during his time in the premier league. 

To a neutral fan, not connected to Aston Villa or Norwich that sentence looks daft. 

• Like 1

That wouldn't please the Sunderland fans at least going by what I've read of their opinions of Lambert and they seem to have him down as another Martin O'neill and obviously that didn't work for them. I think a lot see Poyet as the man to get them playing a passing game once he gets his own players in which would be a change after Bruce, O'neill and Di Canio and probably others before.

Not if you check their forum right now, I don't know about their lambert opinions though

I think a lot of neutral fans think that Lambert is doing a pretty poor job that doesn't mean they're correct of course but they see Aston VIlla doing so poorly and it is what is.

He's never been relegated from the premier league despite working on shoe string budgets much smaller than some of the clubs that have gone down during his time in the premier league.

To a neutral fan, not connected to Aston Villa or Norwich that sentence looks daft.

You might be surprised by this but no neutral fan that I've seen considers scraping survival at Aston Villa some sort of achievement. He is viewed in no more a positive light than Chris Hughton and rightly so.

You would've just been better off saying:

To me, that sentence looks daft.

...as that is basically what you mean.

Edited by Isa

I'm not sure if that's "rightly." Hughton inherited a better situation and had money.

Plus, the fact that it's villa doesn't mean a tom, he inherited the club in a worse situation than any of his recent predecessors.

I'm not sure if that's "rightly." Hughton inherited a better situation and had money.

Plus, the fact that it's villa doesn't mean a tom, he inherited the club in a worse situation than any of his recent predecessors.

No he didn't! He inherited a team who had admirably punched above their weight in their first season back in the Premier League. Nearly all of Lambert's squad have either returned to the lower-leagues or are fringe-players now. The squad overhaul at Norwich under Hughton was every bit as big as the one here. As for money, Hughton spent about £36m in his time there while Lambert has spent in excess of £40m. Not true on either count.

You might be surprised by this but no neutral fan that I've seen considers scrapping survival at Aston Villa some sort of achievement. He is viewed in no more a positive light than Chris Hughton and rightly so.

You would've just been better off saying:

To me, that sentence looks daft.

...as that is basically what you mean.

Then I think you might actually be surprise at how we are viewed on other fans boards.

No he didn't! He inherited a team who had admirably punched above their weight in their first season back in the Premier League. Nearly all of Lambert's squad have either returned to the lower-leagues or are fringe-players now. The squad overhaul at Norwich under Hughton was every bit as big as the one here. As for money, Hughton spent about £36m in his time there while Lambert has spent in excess of £40m. Not true on either count.

Hughton has had more on wages, he didn't inherit a side that was full of players earning far too much like lambert did at villa. Also, either lambert deserves a ton of credit for helping Norwich punch above their weight that season, or Hughton unnecessarily overhauled a squad that actually had premier league ability, and wasn't confident that he could get similar results to lambert. Either way, lambert comes out better.

That it's Aston Villa will have an affect on a neutral's outlook, they may have an Idea of the general goings on at our club but won't be as clued up as someone who follows the club as a fan or reads this board everyday.

A bit like at Blackburn when they sacked kean a lot of neutral fans thought it was quite bizzare considering they were near the top of the league but if they'd followed the story closer then It might not have been so bizzare.

(I've actually forgot what I'm talking about now, or why, I'll post anyway in case it makes sense :) )

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

That it's Aston Villa will have an affect on a neutral's outlook, they may have an Idea of the general goings on at our club but won't be as clued up as someone who follows the club as a fan or reads this board everyday.

A bit like at Blackburn when they sacked kean a lot of neutral fans thought it was quite bizzare considering they were near the top of the league but if they'd followed the story closer then It might not have been so bizzare.

(I've actually forgot what I'm talking about now, or why, I'll post anyway in case it makes sense :) )

I really can't describe how lucky that start was under Kean. It was 14 points from 7 games, but god, it deserved like 2. First match Ipswich outplayed rovers, (and they got just 6 points from their next 12 before sacking their manager) somehow got a point. Then there were two absurdly lucky wins versus hull and Leicester that would never happen again with the same performances. There were other lucky results I'm forgetting too. The only good performance was the first half hour against Leeds, and that ended 3-3. So yeah, anyone watching would've known he had to go.

*slightly pedantic, but technically he was never sacked. He resigned saying his position was untenable.

I remember at the time hearing some real crazy stories about the owners someone posting on a Rover's board who worked for one of the local papers was convinced that he had evidence against them that if released could lead to a hefty points deduction I think he said he needed more evidence but seemed pretty convinced and lot of the Blackburn fans thought it would be worth it if it would get rid of them.

Not sure what happened with all that though I don't think he was the only who was convinced he knew something either.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â