Week 12 - The West Win

StefanAVFC

Weirdly I'm not as pissed off as I should be at the team in whole. Just a few players. Probably be because I half expected it. Or more than half in fact. Welker in for Trindon because of safe hands. If they are so safe maybe he could catch the thing rather than letting it go. And if Trindon can't be trusted when the game is on the line, why is he on the roster? Would say its the wake up call we need but don't think it is. Manning was just poor, few injuries on D didn't help. Poor play calling on O a hell if a lot, or not necessarily poor as the run was working, but predictable. Poor play calling on D at times too. And having a RB other than Moreno who can keep hold of the ball would be nice.

Edited by rhyscartwright_avfc

Obviously disappointed to lose that game but it is kind of encouraging that we were able to get up a lead like that and that it was a "fluke" that won it. It basically means exactly what I suspected. That these 2 teams on their day are capable of beating each other and the venue will play a role in that.

The funny thing is that the previous time a team/coach won the toss and took the wind was 11 years to the day before this (Lions @ Bears, 24 November, 2002). The Bears drove for the GW FG and the Lions never touched the ball. The wind wasn't as strong that day, that was before the OT rules were different (there's even a case that the correct call under the new rules is to defer unless it's a case of neither defense playing particularly well), and the time of possession in the 4q favored the Bears about 9 minutes to 6 (the scoreboard for the quarter was also 10-0 to the Bears over that period), so the defense was tired (indeed, the Bears kicked the tying FG as time expired).

ESPN game report

I'm not sure the last time a coach took the wind who didn't have double initials and wasn't on 24 November...

It had also been 40 years since the NFL had a day with two draws.

Welker has taken responsibility for the muff.

Back for Denver was Wes Welker, a sure-handed returner. Sure-handed, yes. But not the normal guy back there. The Broncos yanked Trindon Holliday, the normal (and dangerous) return man, because he’d fumbled earlier, and Welker, who’d returned but four punts all season, awaited the punt. When the Denver returner waves off the return—when he doesn’t want to bring it back and simply wants to let it bounce—he yells, “Peter! Peter!” At the same time he waves his arms in a “no-good” way, as if he is an official waving off a penalty. In front of Welker as the punt came down were two men, the closest a backup defensive back (like Ebner), Tony Carter.

“I’ve got to get to him earlier, and get those guys out of the way if I’m not going to make the catch,” said Welker.

In other words, as soon as the punt starts coming down, Welker has to see there’s too much traffic around him from the other team, and he has to scream “PETER” to be sure his guys look for the ball and stay away from it. When a falling or bouncing punt hits a member of the receiving team, it can be recovered by either side.

“I was a little bit in-between,” Welker said, “and you can’t be that way.”

Carter said, “At the last second I heard the get-away-from-the-ball call, like a Peter call.”

Ebner, meanwhile, made his way through the morass at the line of scrimmage, fought through some traffic, and was steaming toward the punt spot. “Great punt by Ryan, and at the last second, I saw the returner waiving it off. At the last second.”

Carter said, “I was trying to get away from the ball, but it took a bounce.”

With Ebner four yards away, the ball hit the turf and careened into Carter’s leg.

Carter said, “I was hoping it was something else, not the ball.”

Brady-Manning XV (barring a playoff rematch and assuming that both come back next season) will be in Foxboro again next year

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have opposed each other in Foxboro in nine of their 14 career meetings, including the last three times (2010, 2012, 2013). Denver and New England will play each other again in 2014, per the NFL future scheduling formula. That formula this season had New England playing every team in the AFC North plus the teams in the AFC West and AFC South that finished in the same position as the Patriots in 2012; that, of course, being Denver and Houston. Next season, the formula has New England playing every team in the AFC West, plus the like-positioned teams in the AFC North and South.

Of course the 2014 Denver-New England game, it happens, would be in Foxboro.

If he’s still playing next season at 38, Manning would be playing his 13th career game in Foxboro, and it would be the 10th time in 12 seasons he has competed against Brady in the town halfway between Boston and Providence (not including 2008, when Brady was hurt, and 2011, when Manning was out).

Conversely, Dan Marino and John Elway played their careers in the AFC, as have Manning and Brady. But Marino and Elway once went 12 seasons, from 1986 to 1997, without playing against each other.

That past couple of months for the Colts:

Week 5. After 11 minutes: Seattle 12, Indianapolis 0. (Colts win.)

Week 6. After 50 minutes: San Diego 16, Indianapolis 6. (Chargers win.)

Week 7. After 20 minutes: Denver 14, Indianapolis 10. (Colts win.)

Week 8. Bye. Even that didn’t stop Indy from starting in quicksand.

Week 9. After 30 minutes: Houston 21, Indianapolis 3. (Colts win.)

Week 10. After 40 minutes: St. Louis 38, Indianapolis 0. (Rams win.)

Week 11. After 28 minutes: Tennessee 17, Indianapolis 3. (Colts win.)

Week 12. After 40 minutes: Arizona 34, Indianapolis 3. (Cards win.)

At least 3 of the last 4 are downright embarrassing, considering the opposition and the scoreline... maybe even more than Man City away embarrassing.

word removed

Two weird halves with two banged up Ds. Mistakes, drops, fumbles all around. Not your typical Brady/Manning game that's for sure

Edited by Tegis

Well it's probably a better than 100/1 shot, because it's greater than 24 pt and includes a few 31 or 32 or 35 point leads, which presumably have far less than a 100/1 chance. But I'd be shocked if it had a better than 1 in 75 or so shot.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â