England v Chile & England v Germany

andykeenan

well I dont believe Cleverley should be in the squad either but its not an excuse for people to think Delph should be in it. as LondonLax has said earlier their is probably West Ham, Hull or Fulham fans demanding their players in the squad.

if anybody the  England midfield that isnt in the squad is Huddlestone as he has been very good and influential this season 

Your original point was 'goals and assists aren't really part of Delph's game' but just because he isn't producing them doesn't mean that he isn't expected to.

Is he expected to? I certainly don't. I expect him to run our midfield and drive forward with his mazy runs and he does that well.

Not really. Most of his runs end up with him taking on one too many and getting dispossessed. Also, he said in pre-season that he wants to add goals to his game.

Can't wait until Hodgson is gone.

What will change?

Impossible to say without knowing who his replacement will be. If it's someone who shares his ethos then probably not a lot.

Thats very harsh on Hodgson.

He hasn't a lot to work with in the first place and the best available English players will go to the World Cup with him.

Would you be less critical of him if he had chosen Delph?

No. I've been criticising Hodgson way before Delph started deserving an England call-up.

Delph doesn't deserve selection for England. He has been our best player this season yes, but that alone shouldn't guarantee him selection and it hasn't.

so he doesnt produce goals, assists or tackles. Plus his passing isnt great so cant compare to Carrick.

I like Delph a very improved player but he isnt good enough for England squad......................yet

The thing is, most people aren't really saying he is. All they're saying is he's more deserving of it than Cleverly. Which is true.

Neither of them should be in the squad.

But if one of them HAD to be, I'd certainly be choosing Delph over Cleverly.

Absolutely this.

Delph doesn't deserve selection for England. He has been our best player this season yes, but that alone shouldn't guarantee him selection and it hasn't.

Neither does the fact that Hodgson hasn't picked him yet mean he doesn't deserve it either.

well I dont believe Cleverley should be in the squad either but its not an excuse for people to think Delph should be in it. as LondonLax has said earlier their is probably West Ham, Hull or Fulham fans demanding their players in the squad.

But only on the justification that if Cleverly can make it, so should they.

And if you look at it like that then they're right.

But I agree, Delph shouldn't be in the squad. But I'd be very surprised if he isn't on Hodgson's radar, and I think suggestions that he might just make the plane if he keeps improving as he is (ignoring the ludicrous guff on here about him not scoring as if that somehow means he's shit) are totally valid.

But only on the justification that if Cleverly can make it, so should they.

And if you look at it like that then they're right.

But I agree, Delph shouldn't be in the squad. But I'd be very surprised if he isn't on Hodgson's radar, and I think suggestions that he might just make the plane if he keeps improving as he is (ignoring the ludicrous guff on here about him not scoring as if that somehow means he's shit) are totally valid.

Hodgson said there won't be any surprise inclusions though. I honestly believe that even if he gets better and starts scoring and assisting loads he still won't make the squad.

Edited by Mantis

How many goals and assist's has Cleverley got for United this season?

Anybody?

Well the fantasy football site has him as scoring zero goals in the league and; rather impressively; he has matched that figure for assists.

• Like 1

no he means he has seen the England players and doesnt expect anybody to breakthrough in the next few months, doesnt say the squad is closed

Yes that's my understanding of it. i think the media have used what he said and manipulated it to mean something different.

no he means he has seen the England players and doesnt expect anybody to breakthrough in the next few months, doesnt say the squad is closed

What he said is basically him admitting that the squad is all but closed. He also doesn't seem to have thought about players whose forms drop. He has his favourites and that's that.

What he said is basically him admitting that the squad is all but closed. He also doesn't seem to have thought about players whose forms drop. He has his favourites and that's that.

That's how you've interpreted it. It's not what he said.
  • Like 1

That's how you've interpreted it. It's not what he said.

I know what he said. But to come out and declare that he doesn't think any will come out and "surprise" him so far away from a World Cup certainly hints at a reluctance to look at new players whichever way you look at it.

He said he doesn't expect players 'that he has never thought of', which does not include those who might be on the periphery of the squad, because by definition he would have thought of them at some point. Of course we don't know who he has been thinking of, so we don't know who is included and excluded, but it absolutely doesn't mean that new players to the squad are a no-go. They'll just come from his current peripheral list if and when they do get a call.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â