players - best and worst business we have done

Jimzk5

I love this sort of thread - great way to think back on good times and bad.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Peter Withe yet. Cost us £500k, which was a lot at the time and raised many eyebrows, but he was the final piece in the jigsaw and scored around 20 goals in his first season to help win us the league and the winning goal in the European Cup final next season.

You can't really ask much more than that. A master stroke from Mr Saunders, the greatest manager we've ever had. :)

'Shaw and Withe went together like bacon and eggs. And they sizzled'

Interesting that most of our good business, was done with modest buys, irrespective of the era.

which supports my theory ....its more about talent spotting, than large sums of Money.

However, when obsene amounts of money are spent (with little regard for sell on value or amortisation) that break through the stratosphere... the talent spotting argument is resigned to the bin.

its all about relativity, I guess.

I love this sort of thread - great way to think back on good times and bad.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Peter Withe yet. Cost us £500k, which was a lot at the time and raised many eyebrows, but he was the final piece in the jigsaw and scored around 20 goals in his first season to help win us the league and the winning goal in the European Cup final next season.

You can't really ask much more than that. A master stroke from Mr Saunders, the greatest manager we've ever had. :)

'Shaw and Withe went together like bacon and eggs. And they sizzled'

Yes a lot of Villa fans thought we'd paid over the odds at the time for Withe. Saunders made some very shrewd buys. Kenny Swain was a bargain, Tony Morley and what a buy Dennis Mortimer was from Coventry  for 125k i think.

For me, one of the best bits of business (well two) was when we bought in Kevin Richardson from Sociedad, along with Dalian.   Pairing Super Kev with Garry Parker (Which was also great business) was the catalayst for what should have been a title winning side..........

I remember the rumours and local press going mad that we didn't go the whole hog and do a triple swoop on sociedad and bring back John Aldridge with them............... im certain wed have a title now if we did - but then again wed have not had deano 12 months later...........

For me, one of the best bits of business (well two) was when we bought in Kevin Richardson from Sociedad, along with Dalian.   Pairing Super Kev with Garry Parker (Which was also great business) was the catalayst for what should have been a title winning side..........

I remember the rumours and local press going mad that we didn't go the whole hog and do a triple swoop on sociedad and bring back John Aldridge with them............... im certain wed have a title now if we did - but then again wed have not had deano 12 months later...........

Big Ron messed that up by signing Townsend. Parker is one of my favourite players ever, he was just quality on the ball and scored a few...he just lacked pace and movement. But Richardson and Townsend was never as good or as good football as Richardson and Parker.

Ashley Young paid 9.5 mil for him but was one of our best players in time he was here and we got 16mil selling him on ...diving little shit now mind you 

....Charlatan

Interesting that most of our good business, was done with modest buys, irrespective of the era.

which supports my theory ....its more about talent spotting, than large sums of Money.

However, when obsene amounts of money are spent (with little regard for sell on value or amortisation) that break through the stratosphere... the talent spotting argument is resigned to the bin.

You only have to look at Chelsea too see that spotting talent is irrelevant if you don't have the infrastructure to use it, since being taken over a decade ago they have spent millions luring the best youth players to them and i cant name a single player from there academy that's made an impact at senior level because they just buy ready made senior players. £20million on lukaku who despite having a huge season at wba was deemed surpless to requirements this season, ridiculously crazy.

You only have to look at Chelsea too see that spotting talent is irrelevant if you don't have the infrastructure to use it, since being taken over a decade ago they have spent millions luring the best youth players to them and i cant name a single player from there academy that's made an impact at senior level because they just buy ready made senior players. £20million on lukaku who despite having a huge season at wba was deemed surpless to requirements this season, ridiculously crazy.

Yes this policy of buying players and then loaning them out to help them beat the opposition seems ethically wrong to me. Something needs to be done about it but its never mentioned. 

Edited by PaulC

I agree with most of what's already been suggested

I'd add in John Carew as a great piece of business - swapping him for Milan Baros was a masterstroke

Way too many awful buys (esp in recent years) Beye, Agathe (I know he was a free), Shorey, Sidwell, Davies, Ireland, Hutton, Heskey, Warnock, Harewood - that's almost a full team!

Hutton, Beye, Davies, Warnock

Agathe.Sidwell.Ireland.Shorey

........Heskey.Harewood

:D

Big Ron messed that up by signing Townsend. Parker is one of my favourite players ever, he was just quality on the ball and scored a few...he just lacked pace and movement. But Richardson and Townsend was never as good or as good football as Richardson and Parker.

Awwww... I used to like Townsend a lot... He hit that fabulous shot away at Ipswich for a goal - the shot bending impossibly in three different directions as it flew to the net from his foot. He put himself about on the park and chipped in with his fair share of goals - especially under Brian. It was great to see that lovable side lift the League Cup in a perfect Wembley performance in 1996... Townsend and Taylor - lovely stuff.

I agree with most of what's already been suggested

I'd add in John Carew as a great piece of business - swapping him for Milan Baros was a masterstroke

Way too many awful buys (esp in recent years) Beye, Agathe (I know he was a free), Shorey, Sidwell, Davies, Ireland, Hutton, Heskey, Warnock, Harewood - that's almost a full team!

Hutton, Beye, Davies, Warnock

Agathe.Sidwell.Ireland.Shorey

........Heskey.Harewood

:D

That team could give our present team a run for it's money.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â