Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

I get your point but I can't agree as I see nothing currently going on at VP as a reason to believe that we aren't becoming a club that can't challenge in any completion let alone be serious about actually winning something.

If we were writing about any other club and not the one we both support I'm "guessing" if I wrote about them like I just wrote about Villa there wouldn't be many people not agreeing that they were a nothing club.

It's this that saddens me the most. You and I were lucky enough to witness Villa winning promotion, the league and the European Cup as well as several league cups but unless you were born over 32yrs ago (probably more like 40yrs) you will have no experience of this.

Is it acceptable for Villans to have to stand and watch the club they love not be able to compete while still paying their hard earned money for the privilege? I can't accept that this is our fate or at least I can't just say it's okay when I don't think it is.

Comments like with a slight improvement we can be top 8 doesn't excite me at all nor does watching a very poor midfield struggle to keep possession when Lambert has spent a fortune on players.

Go find us a rich Arab then please. Maybe if we had an annual wage bill of £250m we'd be challenging for all the competitions too, but there's only two or three owners like that in the PL. Any lifetime fan of any club who believes they have a divine right to be winning things is going to have a hard time over the long run - there's a lot of clubs and they can't all win something every few years...especially without a man who owns half a country at the helm.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 2

Well I will judge this window based on whether we get relegated (which we shouldn't) or not. Time will tell.

Survive on the cheap. Its what I've always hoped for.

I'd advise you to give it til the summer window is closed. I'm no fan of Lerner but I can understand why we wouldn't sign anyone of note in January as it's really not the time. I can't think of any good value deals that I have seen going through in this window so that shows how hard it is to sign quality long term players in January for a decent price. Hopefully things will improve in the summer and our manager will be backed properly, if not then not only can I see the fans turning on Lerner but I can also see Lambert walking as he must be getting sick of this shit as well.

To be fair though the first line of your post was stated during this window with the difference being January. Edited by Morpheus

Not as disappointed with the transfer lack of incomings as I thought I would be. Bertrand was a very good loan buy and left back was our major weakness, so job done there then. Holt is a bit of a waste of time, but perfectly understandable given Kozaks unfortunate injury. And, tbh, we are'nt looking that bad now that theres some cohesion between the players.

The only gripe is that yesterday could have been spent otherwise more fruitfully if only someone at AVFC had actually come out and said 'no more signings'. The only positive to that was knowing that Pete Colley wasted a complete day of his life, freezing his conkers off in vain,

I get your point but I can't agree as I see nothing currently going on at VP as a reason to believe that we aren't becoming a club that can't challenge in any completion let alone be serious about actually winning something.

If we were writing about any other club and not the one we both support I'm "guessing" if I wrote about them like I just wrote about Villa there wouldn't be many people not agreeing that they were a nothing club.

It's this that saddens me the most. You and I were lucky enough to witness Villa winning promotion, the league and the European Cup as well as several league cups but unless you were born over 32yrs ago (probably more like 40yrs) you will have no experience of this.

Is it acceptable for Villans to have to stand and watch the club they love not be able to compete while still paying their hard earned money for the privilege? I can't accept that this is our fate or at least I can't just say it's okay when I don't think it is.

Comments like with a slight improvement we can be top 8 doesn't excite me at all nor does watching a very poor midfield struggle to keep possession when Lambert has spent a fortune on players.

Go find us a rich Arab then please. Maybe if we had an annual wage bill of £250m we'd be challenging for all the competitions too, but there's only two or three owners like that in the PL. Any lifetime fan of any club who believes they have a divine right to be winning things is going to have a hard time over the long run - there's a lot of clubs and they can't all win something every few years...especially without a man who owns half a country at the helm.

I just rang up dial an Arab takeover line for you however nothing doing ..........yet.

I think you have missed my point, I don't blame Lerner and co for what the Premier League has become but I do blame them for buying 2nd rate players which mean we can't compete in any competition.

Disappointed that Lambert didn't get a number 10 but as he has brought too many number 2's it may be a good thing.

We will not go down this season, our home form is dire but maybe the performance against the Baggies might be the start of some relief for those that attend.

I have zero faith in anyone at VP, Lerner is non existent, Faulkner is..........no I have no idea what this muppet does, Lambert just seems to be bumbling his way through and I cringe when the camera's do a shot of him on the line as he just looks lost.

I really don't care about signing loads of players as if they are of the "quality" of Tonev, KEA, Westwood, Lowton, Kozak, Bowery etc then what's the point? All are below average and will not improve the awful rubbish served up for the majority of games this season.

I'm guessing I'll be told to wait and see what happens in the summer, I will and I always will but as I have said I have zero faith in those that currently run our club to change things for the better. Watching a once great club turn into a nothing club before my eyes is what hurts most.

Massive over-reaction!

The level of expectation of some posters beggars belief - I've watched us play in Div 3, so 10th place (and on the rise) in the toughest league in the world is not a "nothing club". 

I've seen plenty of players in claret and blue worse than KEA, Westwood, Lowton, Kozak etc etc (not sure about worse than Tonev so far mind)

A slight improvement next season would see us top eight - if you expect us to win the league every year youre supporting the wrong team

Trying the bigger fan than you crap doesn't work against me as I also watched us in Div3 and have followed Villa all over the world.

There is a reason I support Aston Villa and not the ManU's of this world. I follow my local club through thick and thin but not C&B glasses.

I tell you what VillaCas I'll have a bet with you that next season we don't finish in the top 8 if Lerner, Faulkner and Lambert are still in charge as I know that the players that will be brought in the summer will not be good enough to make this happen. 100 quid to VIllaTalk enough to make you interested?

Some posters might think that with the inevitable sale of Benteke the money will be used to strengthen the squad but selling your best players to improve is at best a flawed plan and at it's worst will relegate this once great club.

Under these 3 Villa have turned into a mid-table (at best club) like the Norwich's, Stokes etc of this world i.e nothing clubs. My blood runs C&B though and I will continue to support Aston Villa until the day I die.

Until some billionaire comes along that is unfortunately the reality

Football has changed massively over the last 30 years as no doubt you know. Gone are the days of a Derby County, Notts Forest or even ( although it hurts me to say it ) Aston Villa emerging with a great side to clinch the league title.

Now the money does all the talking, as soon as you unearth a talent it will get snapped up by the Man City and Chelseas. A lot of the time to just sit on the sidelines, but they've derailed the competition.

I don't see what more Lerner, Lambert and Faulkner can do in these circumstances?

Yes agreed but not the point I was trying to make, I don't blame Lerner & co for what the Premier League has become as I know we don't have the type of money that ManC, Chelsea etc have.

I blame Lerner for the below average players we seem to now be signing which make us unable to compete. Maybe I'm wrong maybe there is nothing to do but to accept 2nd best if so then I feel sorry for all Villans.

FFS I hate this black and white thinking that seems to be prevalent here. It seems it's impossible for some posters to believe that many of us are neither seething or happy about the window.

Agree I find it amusing how some thing we can only spunk millions on wasters or sign 2 players on loan. No way there's anything between that.

I don't recall anyone ever saying that.

This is why this black and white thinking gets on so many people's nerves.

Edited by Mantis

FFS I hate this black and white thinking that seems to be prevalent here. It seems it's impossible for some posters to believe that many of us are neither seething or happy about the window.

Agree I find it amusing how some thing we can only spunk millions on wasters or sign 2 players on loan. No way there's anything between that.

To be fair it is representative of the real world though.  Asking a big group of fans the other night we found two who were anti-everything, a few who were really quite content, and a large chunk in the middle.......the black and white thinking only came/comes from the two extremes - who each wish everyone would agree with them ! Having said that, nothing good ever came from being in the middle of the road !!

Then you should read more. Plenty of people have made a post about spunking millions in response to people not thrilled with our January transfer window.

Then you should read more. Plenty of people have made a post about spunking millions in response to people not thrilled with our January transfer window.

I haven't seen anyone say that there is no middle ground.

5/10 for this window. 

7/10 would have seen the addition of an attacking midfielder.

10/10 would have seen the addition of an attacking midfielder and defensive midfielder or defensive cover.

Definitely quite frustrating although it's good we have significantly improved the left back position and if there really is an option to sign Bertrand then even better.

Obviously disappointing not to sign an attacking midfielder, but for me it's clear that the board simply did not want to finance anything serious this window. I think they are confident we have enough to at least survive in the league this season ...

What remains to be seen is how much Lambert is given in the summer, I'd wager not a fat lot.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I feel your pain I really do and sadly this is modern football - as things stand the very best we can hope for is competing for 7th place against Everton, Newcastle and Southampton and hoping that Spurs or Liverpool slip up once in a while and we can pinch a Europa Cup place (and then not compete)

Villa is a great team to us but if you ask most neutrals they would probably put us down as a "lower", top half team (7th-10th) - unless a multi-billionaire inject big money thats the limit of our ambitions

In a very very bizarre and perverse way, I've really enjoyed the last couple of seasons under Lambert and have been much more interested in watching how he has managed a difficult situation and meagre resources, than i would have been if we were just plodding along mid-table. Also whilst you might not have a positive opinion of players like Kozak, KEA or Westwood - I see guys who are busting a gut and giving 100% despite not being the most talented players we've ever had. I'd much rather watch Westwood give his all and fall short, than say someone like Ireland who could give a flying feck about the team

Football has changed and for all but the supporters of a handful of teams, we will need to find different ways to enjoy supporting our club rather than just judging success by the silverware won (or in the case of 86 league clubs, not won)

10 out of 10 for getting rid of Ireland permanantly :)

Shame it took so long though and a shame that after 3 transfer windows we still have Hutton, Given and Bent attached to the club.

I have no problems with Bertrand or Holt on loan till the end of the year (and if Bertrand wants to stay at the end of it all then we'll all be happy) but until this lot leave the wage bill forever we're not going to see any big signings imho.

Nzogbia needs to justify his wage if he returns to action at all this season, and if he doesn't his name is on that list too.

3/10

All 3 marks for Bertrand would get 5 if it was permanent 8/10 if we had signed a good Am and 10/10 if we had signed a good DM who could Cover CB.

Why would a DM cover Benteke?

3/10

All 3 marks for Bertrand would get 5 if it was permanent 8/10 if we had signed a good Am and 10/10 if we had signed a good DM who could Cover CB.

Why would a DM cover Benteke?

Centre Back.

troll-dance.gif

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â