Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

No more fecking strikers please.

I think we'd only be going for Locadia if Benteke is off though.

If that was the case I'd hope for something more than potential.

Agree.

What would you class as Potential though? I mean Alfred Finnbogason is a 24 year old hotshot and top scorer in Eredevisie.. Would you class him as potential or a more polished player that is more than just potential?

I agree that Locadia has potential, for me if Benteke was sold would like to see someone like Finnbogason signed rather than a guy a start of his career like Locadia.

Agree with everything you say but if Benteke is sold it would depend on how much Lambert is given from the fee and where else we need to strengthen.

We already have Weimann, Helenius, Gabby, Kozak, Bowery and Bent if he comes back at the end of the season with Fonz apparently due back from loan in January.

We are overloaded with strikers as it is and whether Kozak, Helenius and Bowery turn out to be good enough that will be Lambert's responsibility but we really need to strengthen elsewhere now. 

When Benteke goes i hope we spend the money, let's say £20-25m on 1-2 wide players, 1 DCM and 1 creative central midfielder. Who are ready for first team football from day 1

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

No more fecking strikers please.

I think we'd only be going for Locadia if Benteke is off though.

If that was the case I'd hope for something more than potential.

Agree.

What would you class as Potential though? I mean Alfred Finnbogason is a 24 year old hotshot and top scorer in Eredevisie.. Would you class him as potential or a more polished player that is more than just potential?

I agree that Locadia has potential, for me if Benteke was sold would like to see someone like Finnbogason signed rather than a guy a start of his career like Locadia.

By potential, I mean a player who we will have to invest a lot of time in before he will be anywhere near the required standard and that isn't based solely on age but rather level of development. As I have said previously, Locadia is very raw and it is highly unlikely he will hit the ground running.

For the sake of our progression, we have to replace quality with quality. Lambert's usage of the eventual Benteke fee will tell us all we need to know about his 'project'. If he spends it on 3-4 players who will greatly improve the quality of the starting eleven upon arrival (as sne suggests above) then we are going in the right direction.

If however he goes for more players who we have to wait for a couple of seasons to 'come good' then we are back at square one really and it will be clear that the club is content with just surviving in the league while cashing in on our best players every couple of seasons.

When Benteke goes i hope we spend the money, let's say £20-25m on 1-2 wide players, 1 DCM and 1 creative central midfielder. Who are ready for first team football from day 1

I very much doubt we will see the full transfer fee being reinvested in the team

Interesting read on Thauvin:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/welcome-back-hell-lille-return-marseilles-thauvin

If Marseille bought him for 13 million Euros and rate him highly it would have to be a big money signing from us which I don't think is likely to happen at this point in time, especially in the upcoming window.

One of the only ways we could afford him is if Benteke somehow leaves and we generate enough funds to do so. Or maybe Lambert has been saving some of the transfer kitty, he hasn't really dished out on a player yet. Would Thauvin break the wage structure at our club? Does anyone have an idea of how much a player like this would cost us a week?

I very much doubt we will see the full transfer fee being reinvested in the team

Almost certain that the transfer fee will not be re-invested in the form of transfer fees.  Remember that if you buy 4 players for $5M each you have to pay 4 salaries over 3-4 years, whereas you previously were paying just one, making it a potentially significant net loss.  Reinvesting half of the transfer fee in buying a few players and using the rest for the additional salary costs would still constitute reinvesting the full fee in the team.   No doubt if this scenario plays out a number of posters on here will fail to recognize this and will slate Lerner for selling Benteke to line his pockets, however.

We'll have to pay them, but we (reportedly) got ~£2m from Fulham for loaning him out, so you can offset that against Bent's wages in his final year.

Yeah mate good point although I'm wondering if that fee wasn't already used in the Kozak transfer?

I think you are most probably correct

Thanks Andy.

We'll sign 5 players, two of which might make the first team, two will become the answer to all our problems because they made decent cameos against a shit team, and the last will fall out with Lambert after calling him a miserable Scots git in a misguided Monty Python reference during training.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Almost certain that the transfer fee will not be re-invested in the form of transfer fees. Remember that if you buy 4 players for $5M each you have to pay 4 salaries over 3-4 years, whereas you previously were paying just one, making it a potentially significant net loss. Reinvesting half of the transfer fee in buying a few players and using the rest for the additional salary costs would still constitute reinvesting the full fee in the team. No doubt if this scenario plays out a number of posters on here will fail to recognize this and will slate Lerner for selling Benteke to line his pockets, however.

Or the extra TV money and big money wages we've got off the books could cover it. Everton sell fellani and spend most of that on new signings, spurs sell bale and spend most of that on new signings and when liverpool sold torres they spent the money on 2 new players.

No doubt if we invest a small amount some will continue to tell us how great Lerner is.

• Like 1

Almost certain that the transfer fee will not be re-invested in the form of transfer fees. Remember that if you buy 4 players for $5M each you have to pay 4 salaries over 3-4 years, whereas you previously were paying just one, making it a potentially significant net loss. Reinvesting half of the transfer fee in buying a few players and using the rest for the additional salary costs would still constitute reinvesting the full fee in the team. No doubt if this scenario plays out a number of posters on here will fail to recognize this and will slate Lerner for selling Benteke to line his pockets, however.

Or the extra TV money and big money wages we've got off the books could cover it. Everton sell fellani and spend most of that on new signings, spurs sell bale and spend most of that on new signings and when liverpool sold torres they spent the money on 2 new players.

No doubt if we invest a small amount some will continue to tell us how great Lerner is.

Let's be honest .. Are there another decent choices ?!

Atleast with Randy , I think he knew the mistakes and trying to make up things .. 

Look at many clubs that were sold ? If it's not to a Super rich person .. You won't see any changes , sometimes you go backwards .. Plus it's really hard for us to find a buyer anyway .. 

That's why I wouldn't consider selling the club as a solution .. I just won't trust anyone more than Lerner .. Because he had a lesson about management .. Even if that meant that he won't pay money as before ..

Should have known you would somehow take a post limited to the specific question of whether and how a theoretical Benteke transfer fee would be reinvested and turn it into a general referendum on Lerner and bring up other reasons to have a go at him.   My only point was that it's very unlikely that the full proceeds of a sale would go to transfer fees for other players, but that wouldn't necessarily mean he wasn't reivnesting it.  As you have so tirelessly- and sometimes tiresomely- pointed out on many occasions, there are plenty of sticks to beat Lerner with.  Failure to spend every dollar from a Benteke sale on transfer fees would not necessarily be a valid addition to that list.

In response to your point (he says, foolishly taking the bait), what is the point of getting the big wages off the books if you're just going to replace them with new big wages?  The thing that started the whole austerity movement was the fact that wages were way too high a percentage of turnover and the club were losing money hand over fist.  Getting a few players' wages off the books and turning around and spending all the saved money on other players' wages and/or transfer fees is kind of a pointless exercise if you're trying to improve that ratio, don't you think?  Even if Everton did spend all the Fellaini money on transfer fees (I assume you meant transfer fees since including future wages of new signings in your definition of "spent" just reiterates my point), they weren't starting from a position of needing to reduce wages to get the turnover ratio to a sustainable level.  It's too hard to tell whether the Bale sale and new signings is a net spend or not, but I doubt it's going to send their turnover out of control.  If it is, they're foolish and will pay the price down the road if they fail to qualify for CL (sound familiar?).   The TV revenue, increased or not, is also just another part of the wages to turnover equation.

I would love it if Lerner were willing to keep spending and losing money and give Lambert the funds to sign the kinds of players that Spurs are signing, but I don't begrudge him the desire to have the club come closer to breaking even.  There may be some things that could be done differently that would allow signing a slightly higher quality of player without endangering the financial turnaround, but overall I don't see that the general philisophy can be altered too much while still bringing the club back to solid financial footing and buildng a team that can grow and improve sustainably.  If the net of the sale of Benteke and his saved wages over the next few years is translated into transfer fees and wages for new players over that same period, I won't be upset at Lerner because the transfer fees paid don't equal the sale price. And I certainly won't be upset if the net commitment to transfer fees and new wages doesn't exceed the net proceeds and sale of Benteke.  Once the wages to revenue ratio is back down to that of other financiallyhealthy clubs I will be just as upset as you if cost-cutting continues at a similar pace or Lerner tries to recoup all his investment too quickly at the expense of the quality of the squad.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â