Weather...

100 degrees (38 C) here today and air quality in the Unhealthy range due to the fire 🙄 When we got home from east coast yesterday sky was clear and no indication that there was even a fire nearby. What a difference a day makes 

also learned yesterday that some good friends lost their house and pretty much everything 😢

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Sad 1

We decided to go for a walk as the storm approached last night. Expected a soaking, didn't take a jacket and left the phone and wallet at home.

We're at the lake in the park and there's a big strike nearby, then the bang.

All the water birds abandoned their boltholes in the reeds and the island in the middle, putting distance between themselves and the banks.

They've been fighting amongst themselves for months whilst they've been nesting and rearing chicks. The swans wiped out the Canada geese broods save one chick. The coots fight all comers.

There was no aggro after the strike. They mingled in silence on the water waiting for the storm to pass.

19 minutes ago, Xann said:

We decided to go for a walk as the storm approached last night. Expected a soaking, didn't take a jacket and left the phone and wallet at home.

We're at the lake in the park and there's a big strike nearby, then the bang.

All the water birds abandoned their boltholes in the reeds and the island in the middle, putting distance between themselves and the banks.

They've been fighting amongst themselves for months whilst they've been nesting and rearing chicks. The swans wiped out the Canada geese broods save one chick. The coots fight all comers.

There was no aggro after the strike. They mingled in silence on the water waiting for the storm to pass.

Are these Dylan lyrics?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Xann said:

Reminds me of when I used to take our cat to the vet. Didn't use a carrying box, he just sat on my lap in the waiting room - which was full of cats and dogs of all sizes. And not a trace of aggro, all of them just looking grim and worried. The solidarity of the scared. 

• Like 1

Currently in Florida on my hols - survived two weeks in Orlando despite the ridiculous heat throughout the days and was lucky with the anticipated afternoon storms being minimal (only two of any note)

Moved down to Manasota Key on the gulf of Mexico for the final week, stopping in a beachside bungalow and on day 5 had the severe storm warning for storm Debby (their spelling)

It absolutely hurled down overnight but all was ok in the morning. However by around 11am yesterday morning the rain got heavier again and we noticed the road outside the property was becoming waterlogged and pooling.

The next thing we knew, around 30 mins later was water coming through the front door - cue, bundles of towels rolled up to stem the flow etc.

Suddenly water began to seep through the bungalow floor in various rooms and didn't stop! Within 15 mins it was ankle deep and rising. 

We quickly packed all our bags and into the car (thankfully I picked the biggest SUV from the Alamo lot as the water outside was over a foot deep) and contacted our host who basically said get out of dodge before the sheriff closed the connecting bridges to the mainland and to find a motel...

Made the decision to drive across the state to the much less affected East coast and swiftly arranged another place to stay. Drove through some utterly batshit crazy weather though to get there.

Our kit on the whole survived but a few things water damaged, typically my son's $200 lightsaber he built at Disney... 😖

Mad experience (and this is coming from a survivor of the boxing day tsunami in Thailand back in 2004!)

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Currently in Florida on my hols - survived two weeks in Orlando despite the ridiculous heat throughout the days and was lucky with the anticipated afternoon storms being minimal (only two of any note)

Moved down to Manasota Key on the gulf of Mexico for the final week, stopping in a beachside bungalow and on day 5 had the severe storm warning for storm Debby (their spelling)

It absolutely hurled down overnight but all was ok in the morning. However by around 11am yesterday morning the rain got heavier again and we noticed the road outside the property was becoming waterlogged and pooling.

The next thing we knew, around 30 mins later was water coming through the front door - cue, bundles of towels rolled up to stem the flow etc.

Suddenly water began to seep through the bungalow floor in various rooms and didn't stop! Within 15 mins it was ankle deep and rising. 

We quickly packed all our bags and into the car (thankfully I picked the biggest SUV from the Alamo lot as the water outside was over a foot deep) and contacted our host who basically said get out of dodge before the sheriff closed the connecting bridges to the mainland and to find a motel...

Made the decision to drive across the state to the much less affected East coast and swiftly arranged another place to stay. Drove through some utterly batshit crazy weather though to get there.

Our kit on the whole survived but a few things water damaged, typically my son's $200 lightsaber he built at Disney... 😖

Mad experience (and this is coming from a survivor of the boxing day tsunami in Thailand back in 2004!)

Florida 🙄

😉 glad all that was lost was the expensive toy 👍👍

I survived Hurricane Diane in Wilmington, NC back in 1984. The force of a hurricane up close and personal is truly awesome/frightening 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Florida 🙄

😉 glad all that was lost was the expensive toy 👍👍

It was our last chance to do the whole Disney thing and it’s been great (barring yesterday!) but I’m in no rush to return to Florida. 

17 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

It was our last chance to do the whole Disney thing and it’s been great (barring yesterday!) but I’m in no rush to return to Florida. 

My brother-in-law lives in Gainesville. I like him and his family, quite a bit, but I hope/plan to never set foot in that wretched state again if I have any choice in the matter. 

There are a bunch of places I want to go that likely require a flight from Miami, so would make an exception for that 😉

1 minute ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

My brother-in-law lives in Gainesville. I like him and his family, quite a bit, but I hope/plan to never set foot in that wretched state again if I have any choice in the matter. 

There are a bunch of places I want to go that likely require a flight from Miami, so would make an exception for that 😉

There’s a lot of Trump fans here… I’ll say that for sure 🤪

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

There’s a lot of Trump fans here… I’ll say that for sure 🤪

Indeed but there are also a lot from the other side of the political spectrum who go there for low taxes 🙄 That describes my brother-in-law: hired as a professor at University of Florida over 25 years ago. Hates the state’s politics and has been severely impacted professionally by DeSantis’ policies, yet won’t leave because of being a tightwad. Yet when you work up his total tax burden Florida doesn’t really come out all that much better than other places. Certainly not so much better to stay in a place with so much going against it. Yes, no income tax, but the state makes up for it in numerous other manners. 

• Like 1

On 05/08/2024 at 09:57, theboyangel said:

jeez you get some rotten luck...please keep us updated on future travel plans so we know where to avoid!

• Haha 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â