Weather...

@Nor-Cal Villan your neck of the woods got a mention on the BBC website - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/c147yr72yp7o

Firenado spotted after huge California park fire

A raging wildfire spawned a dramatic firenado near Chico, California, as emergency crews struggle to contain the blaze.

A time-lapse video, captured by a camera located northeast of Chico in the mountains, shows a swirling fire vortex that's a mix of wind, smoke and flames. 

According to the US's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, this weather phenomenon occurs when heat from a wildfire rises quickly, leaving an empty space behind it. Air floods into that gap, creating an updraft that brings the fire with it.

Edited by bielesibub

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

bring on winter

how does anyone actually enjoy this heat?

I am starting to dread UK summers tbh. It’s either shitty grey mugginess + rain, or crazy heat which you cannot get out of your house and then can’t sleep.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

bring on winter

how does anyone actually enjoy this heat?

What heat? I don't like hot summers either, but yesterday was 26°, max. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As always. Grim up north. 

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

yes but remains near 20 degrees overnight

20 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

yes but remains near 20 degrees overnight

Yes, it was a bit warm overnight, but I've known a lot worse. 

How long before air conditioning becomes more commonplace in thee UK?

It's only a few decades that Central Heating has been almost ubiquitous.

Incidentally heat pumps can operate in reverse and operate as air conditioning as well.  I wonder if we'll see hybrid heat pumps that can operate air to water for radiators and air to air for air cooling?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How long before air conditioning becomes more commonplace in thee UK?

It's only a few decades that Central Heating has been almost ubiquitous.

Incidentally heat pumps can operate in reverse and operate as air conditioning as well.  I wonder if we'll see hybrid heat pumps that can operate air to water for radiators and air to air for air cooling?

I’m seriously thinking of getting a portable air conditioner for my bedroom to make sure I can still sleep during the heat waves (**** the kids, they can have a fan).

Bought a twin pack of Thermopro digital thermometers from Amazon.  Currently got one on the table next to me and one on the shaded patio door step outside.

Had the doors and windows and sunside curtains closed all day.  it's currently 26.4° in here and 27.7° out there.  So the theory of keeping doors and windows closed does make a difference.  As soon as those temperatures change balance though I'm opening bloody everything.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m seriously thinking of getting a portable air conditioner for my bedroom to make sure I can still sleep during the heat waves (**** the kids, they can have a fan).

How much noise will the a/c unit make? 

Edited by mjmooney

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The a/c unit itself will be slightly louder than they used to be, hence the recent need to change planning law whereby you can’t just swap an old one for a new one. The new ones are ‘more efficient’ and part of the result of that is they run more noisily.

You probably still wouldn’t be able to hear the ice caps melting and nature burning though, as we all invest in air con to offset global warming.

Mind you.  55% humidity in here v 47% humidity out there.  Does that mean I'd be better opening the windows and having an extra degree of heat to reduce the humidity to make for a more comfortable house?

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Mind you.  55% humidity in here v 47% humidity out there.  Does that mean I'd be better opening the windows and having an extra degree of heat to reduce the humidity to make for a more comfortable house?

image.jpeg.1c07f70750fe99dab3d4df005e0e5bfb.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

image.jpeg.1c07f70750fe99dab3d4df005e0e5bfb.jpeg

Yes, that demonstrates that if I open the windows it's going to blow in the hotter air from outside to the inside and move my cooler air outside.

I want to know if that's a choice worth making to reduce the humidity for a hotter house.

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Moral of the story: trim your bush. 

I keep telling Mrs Sidcow this.

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I would probably just use it to cool down the bedroom for an hour before going to bed. I wouldn’t leave it running all night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I want to know if that's a choice worth making to reduce the humidity for a hotter house.

I'm quite content in the warm. You'll have to give it a go if you want to find out?

The pic was an idea of how you might further refine passive cooling.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â