Weather...

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nuclear winter maybe :D

My Grandfather was a member of the Communist Party, in fact he was one of a team that helped translate the Communist Manifesto into Welsh so I'm led to believe. It was the only daily paper that got delivered to his house.

I don’t think it was Morning Star, but we had a newsagent that sold something that was pretty much Pravda in english, it might even literally have been the UK version of it.

But it was great, lots of very alternative versions of all the news stories, stuff on The Malvinas, and adverts for guided holidays in Bulgaria.

I mean, absolutely mad, but even then, a refreshing change to see there even was an alternative world view.

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Quiet out. Roads empty and supermarket was deserted. 

I just nipped out to Morrisons as we were low on coffee. Absolutely **** ing rammed. Queues down every aisle, like it was Christmas week. 

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I see there’s wildfires in Europe again. Wonder how severe it would be if Cannock chase went up in flames, with it being on my doorstep .

There were wildfires on the North Devon cliffs yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t think it was Morning Star, but we had a newsagent that sold something that was pretty much Pravda in english, it might even literally have been the UK version of it.

But it was great, lots of very alternative versions of all the news stories, stuff on The Malvinas, and adverts for guided holidays in Bulgaria.

I mean, absolutely mad, but even then, a refreshing change to see there even was an alternative world view.

That was definitely The Morning Star. Owned and run by a workers collective in line with the polices of The Communist Party of Great Britain (CPGB). Started out life as the Daily Worker when it was actually owned by the CPGB. It currently follows the policies of the Communist Party of Britain (CPB), yes another Life of Brian moment on the left when the Tankies and the Eurocommunists split. This lot are the Tankies as they were back then

Anyway, phew its slightly hot out

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wasn't around to see it first hand but from what I've read, it certainly wasn't the case among the scientific community. Even back in the 70s/80s there were significantly more scientific journals being published around the dangers of global warming. Global cooling was more of a niche concern. 

That's within the scientific community though, which often has little relation to how the tabloids choose to represent "the" science.

I was 12, so wasn’t reading scientific papers, but I do clearly remember there being stuff on the news about the next ice age. Also mentions in popular culture - listen to London Calling for example (albeit that was a bit later than’76).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I was 12, so wasn’t reading scientific papers, but I do clearly remember there being stuff on the news about the next ice age. Also mentions in popular culture - listen to London Calling for example (albeit that was a bit later than’76).

Not like the papers to pick up a scare story and run with it, to hell with what scientific consensus actually is :D 

I cant find the more in depth article I was reading, but below (my bolding) makes some similar points. The "they said it'd be cooling in the 70s!" is a fairly common argument by climate change deniers, and while it's not necessarily completely debunked because some people did think that, it doesn't seem to quite tell the whole story.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11643-climate-myths-they-predicted-global-cooling-in-the-1970s/

Climate myths: They predicted global cooling in the 1970s

EARTH 16 May 2007

By Michael Le Page

Indeed they did. At least, a handful of scientific papers discussed the possibility of a new ice age at some point in the future, leading to some pretty sensational media coverage (see Histories: The ice age that never was).

One of the sources of this idea may have been a 1971 paper by Stephen Schneider, then a climate researcher at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, US. Schneider’s paper suggested that the cooling effect of dirty air could outweigh the warming effect of carbon dioxide, potentially leading to an ice age if aerosol pollution quadrupled.

This scenario was seen as plausible by many other scientists, as at the time the planet had been cooling (see Global temperatures fell between 1940 and 1980). Furthermore, it had also become clear that the interglacial period we are in was lasting an unusually long time (see Record ice core gives fair forecast).

However, Schneider soon realised he had overestimated the cooling effect of aerosol pollution and underestimated the effect of CO2, meaning warming was more likely than cooling in the long run. In his review of a 1977 book called The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age, Schneider stated: “We just don’t know…at this stage whether we are in for warming or cooling – or when.” A 1975 report (pdf format) by the US National Academy of Sciences merely called for more research.

The calls for action to prevent further human-induced global warming, by contrast, are based on an enormous body of research by thousands of scientists over more than a century that has been subjected to intense – and sometimes ferocious – scrutiny. According to the latest IPCC report, it is more than 90% certain that the world is already warming as a result of human activity (see Blame for global warming placed firmly on humankind).

Update: A survey of the scientific literature has found that between 1965 and 1979, 44 scientific papers predicted warming, 20 were neutral and just 7 predicted cooling. So while predictions of cooling got more media attention, the majority of scientists were predicting warming even then.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not like the papers to pick up a scare story and run with it, to hell with what scientific consensus actually is :D 

This was the telly. Obviously at 12 I was in no position to judge the veracity of what grown ups said on the news, it just stuck with me that there were stories about how the planet was cooling etc. and then the question of heading for the next ice age. I don’t recall it being stated as fact, in the way that ACC is established fact now. There may also have been stuff back then about warming, but as that doesn’t evoke visions of woolly mammoths it didn’t stick in my mind if there were stories.

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

This was the telly. Obviously at 12 I was in no position to judge the veracity of what grown ups said on the news, it just stuck with me that there were stories about how the planet was cooling etc. and then the question of heading for the next ice age. I don’t recall it being stated as fact, in the way that ACC is established fact now. There may also have been stuff back then about warming, but as that doesn’t evoke visions of woolly mammoths it didn’t stick in my mind if there were stories.

Were definitely heading into an ice age, that's established fact. There is a well known cycle of those things. Global warming is superimposed on top of that but is happening over a much shorter timescale.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

On 16/07/2022 at 17:59, bickster said:

I b ooked the day off on Mondfay, I might go in, just for the aircon

I booked Monday and Tuesday and I'm thinking the same 🤣

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

How much petrol does it take to keep an engine an AC running?

Older cars you see the revs dip when the air con is switched on. New cars, hardly anything though, as they have a clutched pulley and much lighter pumps that cause hardly any drag on the engine. 

• Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

How much petrol does it take to keep an engine an AC running?

I have done this experiment!

Short version: next to nothing

I’d been told it took 5% off your fuel economy, the reality over hundreds of miles over a quite a few days was that I couldn’t see a difference when you factored in weather or wind or geography etc..

Drivng at 68mph with a/c on will be cheaper than driving at 77mph with it switched off in a Toyota Corolla.

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â