Weather...

Just now, Seat68 said:

My greenhouse has put up a good fight but it's time is up by the look of it. 

We had a new shed the other week, it's fine, the old one might not have made it though, it was falling down without wind

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We’ve lost a fence panel! What’s the etiquette on who fixes it? It’s fallen onto the neighbours side 

Put a polite note through their door saying one of your fence panels has blown down, they'll appreciate that and just get on with it😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We’ve lost a fence panel! What’s the etiquette on who fixes it? It’s fallen onto the neighbours side 

Generally I think it’s the person who owns the fence who takes the responsibility. If I was living next to someone and their fence panel blew out or broke, and they weren’t able to do it themselves, I’d offer some help.

The fence panel that’s fallen out the other night at mine belongs to me and I’ll sort it once the winds subside.

The wind was mental down here for much of the morning.  The problem I have is that my flat is on the corner looking out onto the internal communal gardens and the air just swirls around.  Luckily I took time last night to dismantle the swing chair - I had visions of the top canopy ripping off and ending up through someone's window! My electricity was flickering a fair bit too and I thought the worst.   Work told staff in critical roles to attend only if absolutely required, otherwise the work from home order was in place again.  Fun times. 

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Usually you are responsible for one side of the fencing.

It will probably be specified in the original deeds, if not neighbours usually know who is responsible for each by custom, sounds like your predecessor didn't pass on the knowledge.

Maybe ask the guy on the others side first before you tackle the neighbour the other side of the panel.   Hopefully one of them will know but they guy with the damaged panel might not own up so easily if it's his responsibility.

Edited by sidcow

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Usually you are responsible for one side of the fencing.

It will probably be specified in the original deeds, if not neighbours usually know who is responsible for each by custom, sounds like your predecessor didn't pass on the knowledge.

Maybe ask the guy on the others side first before you tackle the neighbour the other side of the panel.   Hopefully one of them will know but they guy with the damaged panel might not own up so easily if it's his responsibility.

People keep saying to me that fence ownership is in the original deeds. I've lived in a few houses and not once has this information ever been there. Is it some kind of urban myth?

I usually end up going by which side of the fence panel faces into your garden - if it's the "nice" side it's your fence.

• Like 2

The neighbours have just sent their teenage kids out to try and put it back in place, donned up in full mountaineering attire. I went out and told them we’d sort it out between us when it’s subsided….was funny watching them try on the gale force wind tho for a few minutes.

We’ve just lost at least one roof tile, it’s really picked up here fair play.

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

People keep saying to me that fence ownership is in the original deeds. I've lived in a few houses and not once has this information ever been there. Is it some kind of urban myth?

I usually end up going by which side of the fence panel faces into your garden - if it's the "nice" side it's your fence.

As you look down the garden from the back of your house, you generally have the responsibility of the left hand side.

4 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's definitely there. Every house I have owned it has said which side I have responsibility for. For me it's always been the left. 

If you have the deeds, the property line might well be indicated by a line of capital ‘T’’s with the I if the T pointing in the direction of ownership of any boundary feature.

But then again, your neighbour could easily have a similar document but with the T pointing the other way.

Our boundary is so weirdly displaced that the fence post line is straight for 30 metres right until the last two posts, which crank across a metre toward my house. If they didn’t, the boundary fence would have half their kitchen window looking at my garden.

6 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

As you look down the garden from the back of your house, you generally have the responsibility of the left hand side.

That is how it was in my last house but the one I am in now the right hand side is mine. As @chrisp65 said it is indicated on your deeds.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

My daughters school closed early, went to collect her and there was a massive queue of people collecting. Took about 25 minutes of standing in the storm till I got to the front.

My missus got sent home from work, I had to go and pick her up. Right at the time the wind was forecast to be highest. It's even subsided a bit right now

7 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

That's a good guide because if it's been replaced in the past the people who did it they would definitely fix them nice side facing inwards.......that said we replaced a fence panel we are responsible recently and let the neighbour have the "nice side because it is behind a large shrub our side and faces their patio so it only seems fair.

Actually I've just remembered that our neighbour on the left as we look down the garden replaced all the panels not long after we moved in and then we fitted the top trellis above them so it was a joint effort.  I was pretty sure we were responsible for those down the right but maybe we just decided to do it as they are an old couple.  I'll have to dig out the deeds and see if I can "indeed" find anything.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â