Getting older

villaguy

1 minute ago, Xela said:

i'm 44 and can remember my 30th like it was only a couple of years back, not 14! If i go 14 years into the future, I'll be hopefully retired! Mad when I think about it like that. 

Retired at 58 - you lucky man!

• Like 2

I turned 40 this summer and can slowly feel age catching up on me. I feel good and am in decent shape but I don't recover from exercise/weightlifting as quickly as I used to and have regular twinges in my joints.

I've also had a weird year medically (hernia in January, sprained metatarsal in Feb, cancer scare (all clear thankfully) this summer as well as some stuff with my son.

Am mildly curious about TRT and if that is worthwhile and makes a difference to getting older and how you feel.

Trying to remember getting older might not be fun but that it is a privilege and much better than the alternative. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Trying to remember getting older might not be fun but that it is a privilege and much better than the alternative. 

^^^^

THIS. 

For me, the secret is to have things in your life that you enjoy. They may be the same things at 40 (50, 60, etc.) as they were at 20 - or they may be something completely different. Don't stress about it. 

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Retired at 58 - you lucky man!

We'll see! Best laid plans and all that...

When I say retired, I mean retired from the 5 day a week, stressful job rat-race. I may be woking part time.

I relocated in April last year. Since then I've lost 3 friends, 2 aged 48 (the same age as me)  unexpectedly and no known cause of death, and one age 55 (cancer) 

I never really worried or thought about getting old. Now I have so many mixed feelings and am starting to realise time really isn't on my side.  I'm reasonably fit but no where near as fit as I was 5 years ago, I know I need to do something about it but just can't get motivated. 

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I relocated in April last year. Since then I've lost 3 friends, 2 aged 48 (the same age as me)  unexpectedly and no known cause of death, and one age 55 (cancer) 

I never really worried or thought about getting old. Now I have so many mixed feelings and am starting to realise time really isn't on my side.  I'm reasonably fit but no where near as fit as I was 5 years ago, I know I need to do something about it but just can't get motivated. 

Yeah, I never started pondering my mortality until fairly recently (I'm 52). I've been taking pretty good care of my body, which is something I didn't do well for many years. But I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It's in the genes. But a good 20 years of drinking and smoking didn't help my cause. But I'm more mindful of my health now, and that's a blessing that has come with getting older. 

Unfortunately I live with chronic pain, sometimes debilitating pain. And each year, the aches and pains and injuries that used to heal just don't heal now. It can sometimes really torpedo my mood and outlook on life. But I try to keep things in a healthy perspective. The fact is I can still go walk trails, ride my bicycle, do yard work, etc. Although this year I'm buying a snowblower because shoveling is probably the worst activity I can do for my back.

As has been said in this thread, the alternative to this is a black void, so I'll take what I can get from this life and try to enjoy it. In fact, you do tend to appreciate the good things and good times more with age.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

When out walking the dogs not long ago a hurst when by me with the number plate 4 CJW. Those are my initials and the 4 is for me as I read it. I’m not quite ready to accept death yet but that will come with age no doubt .

I'm sad enough to know* that is probably C J Williams Funeral Directors from Telford. They've got a nice new fleet of Bentley limos and hearses.

* through work, and not a morbid hobby.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I'm sad enough to know* that is probably C J Williams Funeral Directors from Telford. They've got a nice new fleet of Bentley limos and hearses.

* through work, and not a morbid hobby.

Any chance you could get me a deal, a bit knocked off like? 

28 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

When out walking the dogs not long ago a hurst when by me with the number plate 4 CJW. 

*hearse* 

(sorry, but I genuinely didn't know what you meant for a moment). 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, meregreen said:

I’m travelling like crazy at the moment. Doing it while I still can. Lost a mate a few years back, he worked like a Trojan to get himself a decent pension, then pegged out at 57, ain’t life a bitch. Just got back from Alaska last Monday. Live life to the full as much as your able. Feeling great by the way 🤞

I love this attitude and it pretty much mirrors mine and my wife's. I saw may dad never properly retire and die at 60 and I saw my mother in law never reach retirement and die at 55. Even though I was only 28 when my dad died I think it has shaped my thought process especially the older I have gotten (I'll be 50 in a couple of months). Whilst I have got a decent pension to look forward to I never for a second see it as a given that I'll ever actually get to see it and enjoy a retirement so very much live for now. Like you we have embraced travelling and have never got less than 2 or 3 holidays booked and always have something on the horizon to look forward to. 

• Like 1

Jarvis Cocker turning 60 and 9 years since Rik Mayall shuffling off has really knocked my time perception.

Time passes faster as you age anyway, but those Covid years truncated the past decade even more.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â