Getting older

villaguy

On 13/06/2022 at 11:07, Wainy316 said:

I remember when Wayne Rooney broke though he was the first footballer I noticed as being younger than me.

Now Villa are signing a lad from Rangers who was born in the same year I finished uni.

When I learned Dean Smith is a few months younger than me I was suddenly staring into a dark abyss.

• 1 month later...

Prompted by the discussion of a footballer born in 2007 having a game and freaking people out (and the similar conversation in this thread prior to this post).

Maybe it’s been discussed before but anyway…

One thing that always gets me is seeing that an actor when they were in a particular role is now younger than me. Or a musician when they recorded a certain album is younger than I am.

So let’s say Robert Redford in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. He was 33 when that film was made, six years younger than I am now. This shouldn’t come as a surprise, if I was to see that film now I’m not going to think “Hmmm, I think Sundance is supposed to be 45 here.” Clearly he’s 30(ish).

But on some level I still think of him as being older than me. Likewise it somehow feels like Buddy Holly is older than me despite me being relatively not that far from twice the age he clocked out at.

There’s a website that seemingly is dedicated to this, for actors anyway, “How Old Were They Then”. 

https://howtt.herokuapp.com

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There’s a website that seemingly is dedicated to this, for actors anyway, “How Old Were They Then”. 

Just had a quick look on this. Marlon Brando in the Godfather was 48 - same age as I am now. Just doesn't seem right.  Pacino and James Caan were both 32. 

• Like 1

A bit of hope for those of you dreading getting old: one of the nice things I've noticed as a 60+ retiree, is how much of a sense of cameraderie there is among total strangers in our age range. The missus and I constantly find ourselves chatting happily with people we meet out on walks, in pubs, at gigs, etc. Happens way more than it used to when we were younger. There's a kind of unspoken assumption of common life experiences that makes for pleasant 'temporary friendships'. It's good. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

A bit of hope for those of you dreading getting old: one of the nice things I've noticed as a 60+ retiree, is how much of a sense of cameraderie there is among total strangers in our age range. The missus and I constantly find ourselves chatting happily with people we meet out on walks, in pubs, at gigs, etc. Happens way more than it used to when we were younger. There's a kind of unspoken assumption of common life experiences that makes for pleasant 'temporary friendships'. It's good. 

I'm nearly 60, but no **** talks to me coz I don't look old. 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

F*** me sideways. George Wendt (Norm) was a year younger than I am now when the first episode of Cheers aired. Ted Danson was exactly my age. They are now 74 and 75 years old respectively. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I'm nearly 60, but no **** talks to me coz I don't look old. 

spacer.png

Rob when the first words you say to a couple in their 60's you meet out on a nice walk are have you 'DHUTWU' it is gonna put some people off stopping for a chat mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And,not all old people are old in their ways.I play table tennis at the community centre twice a week and apart from TT they have fitness,dancing,bowls and various other activities that require a decent level of fitness.

The other kind of old is where people only want to watch Coronation St,knit, and doze off in the afternoons,etc

For my part.One of the things I do is,I always take the stairs ( if aviable ) and I am constantly suprised that,with a jym on every corner here in Perth its not unusual for me to be the only one using the stairs.   

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

The realisation that kids today talking about the 90s, is the same as kids in the 90s talking about the 60s.

Also that the year 1970 is further away then the year 2070.

Prompted by the above. Something I feel now that I’m nearing the end of my thirties.

When I was 31/32 I would walk past someone in their early twenties and while I knew we’re weren’t the same age, I’d feel like there was some common ground between us. I still felt like we could be considered contemporaries, have the same cultural references.

In essence, we could theoretically hang out.

That’s basically gone now. Don’t know when it happened, but it at some point over the past 5 or so years it did. And I know that now the common ground and my reference points are going to register more with the 21 year old’s parents and they’re the ones I’m more likely to successfully hang out with.

I don’t know if that’s a feeling particularly unique to being late 30’s. Like it’s the last gasp of (what could be considered) youth or something but not really middle age either. A sort of awkward in between age.

The thing is, I’m actually fairly content with turning 40. But for whatever reason I’m more conscious of this dynamic change.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The thing is, I’m actually fairly content with turning 40.

All my life I've seen people feeling rattled by hitting the 'zero' ages. Right from "Twenty - oh God, I'm not a teenager any more", right through the thirty and forty mid-life crises (MA's post above). 

Not one of them has remotely bothered me - forty, fifty? Pfft. Even sixty, I bloody loved it - retired, mortgage paid off, fit and healthy, life's great. 

Until now. I'm 69. Next January I'll be 70. And for the first time, I'm starting to dread it. At 70 you can no longer kid yourself it's still 'late middle age'. Seventy - whichever way you slice it, it just sounds proper old. And as for what lies beyond that... :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Prompted by the above. Something I feel now that I’m nearing the end of my thirties.

When I was 31/32 I would walk past someone in their early twenties and while I knew we’re weren’t the same age, I’d feel like there was some common ground between us. I still felt like we could be considered contemporaries, have the same cultural references.

In essence, we could theoretically hang out.

That’s basically gone now. Don’t know when it happened, but it at some point over the past 5 or so years it did. And I know that now the common ground and my reference points are going to register more with the 21 year old’s parents and they’re the ones I’m more likely to successfully hang out with.

I don’t know if that’s a feeling particularly unique to being late 30’s. Like it’s the last gasp of (what could be considered) youth or something but not really middle age either. A sort of awkward in between age.

The thing is, I’m actually fairly content with turning 40. But for whatever reason I’m more conscious of this dynamic change.

Let's face it as soon as you hit 35 you are an old git and all of your supposed hip preferences become tragically sad overnight. Embrace it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

All my life I've seen people feeling rattled by hitting the 'zero' ages. Right from "Twenty - oh God, I'm not a teenager any more", right through the thirty and forty mid-life crises (MA's post above). 

Not one of them has remotely bothered me - forty, fifty? Pfft. Even sixty, I bloody loved it - retired, mortgage paid off, fit and healthy, life's great. 

Until now. I'm 69. Next January I'll be 70. And for the first time, I'm starting to dread it. At 70 you can no longer kid yourself it's still 'late middle age'. Seventy - whichever way you slice it, it just sounds proper old. And as for what lies beyond that... :(

Always remember that there is only one thing worse than getting old, and that is not getting old!

• Like 3

The 40s were great for me. Older but not old. Healthiest and fittest I had ever been. Disposable income. The only downside was hangovers were **** brutal. 
50s now, unhealthy. Not fit, bills are bigger. The hangovers are still **** brutal. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No need to feel like that MJM. You've still probably got a good 5 - 10 years left yet. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No need to feel like that MJM. You've still probably got a good 5 - 10 years left yet. 

Ha ha. I'll take that as a joke. But then I look at some of the ages in the Deadpool thread. And I've already lost quite a few mates of my generation. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Ha ha. I'll take that as a joke. But then I look at some of the ages in the Deadpool thread. And I've already lost quite a few mates of my generation. 

Nah, you seem quite an active fellow. You'll be fine. 

My neighbour was 104 and fit as a fiddle and sharp as a tack till 6 months before he died.  

Hell my old man is hanging on at 80 despite a terrible lifestyle and being riddled with diabetes for 30 years.  Never seen a man eat so many puddings.  Inhaled cigars between that age of 20 and 60.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I know what you’re saying.

The only small crumb of comfort I can find is I think you can be 70+ without seeming like you’re 70+.

For instance, Jane Seymour is 72. I do not think of Jane Seymour as a 72 year old. 

Less of a glamorous example, while there was a certain “How is he still going?” air around Bruce Forsyth and I knew he was an old man, I didn’t think of him as “old” in the same way I thought of, say, Thora Hird as being “old”.

I suppose I’m echoing similar to what Sidcow has said above.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â