What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Apparently an EV with a 100 mile range (they pretty much ALL have more now) would be suitable for 90% of journeys undertaken in the UK, yet everyone is driving round in 350 mile range SUV's.  Pick your car for it's purpose.

So what about the other 10% of journeys? 

Seriously, the thing I hate most about motoring  is having to go out to the garage to fill up.  I find it such a ball ache.  There isn't really one on my way to and from the station and it always seems to run low at the most inconvenient time.    I really can't wait till the day I just plug it in before bed time and wake to a full ready to go car.

Just now, Genie said:

So the other car is too big for 90% of its journeys?

Well yes.  Especially since lockdown and the advent of online meetings I'm sure Mrs Sidcow hasn't done many journeys over 100 miles. 

10% is a NATIONAL average.  For me it's probably less than 1%.  In fact since I've had this car (over a year) I haven't done any single journey over 50 miles.    I took the previous one up to Bolton for an away game.  But yes in the last say 10 years I'd think a 100 mile EV would have suited something like 98% of all my journeys.

But the reality is they now all do at least 200 miles and most creeping up to 300 these days.  How many 200 mile journeys have you ever done where you haven't stopped at the services for half an hour or so?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes.  Mrs Sidcow has an A6 for the big drives and holidays and whatnot.

Apparently an EV with a 100 mile range (they pretty much ALL have more now) would be suitable for 90% of journeys undertaken in the UK, yet everyone is driving round in 350 mile range SUV's.  Pick your car for it's purpose.

The Audi A6 is longer and wider than a Ford Kuga, Nissan Qashqai, Renault Kadjar Nissan X-Trail, Toyota Rav 4, and Audi Q3.

Just now, Genie said:

The Audi A6 is longer and wider than a Ford Kuga, Nissan Qashqai, Renault Kadjar Nissan X-Trail, Toyota Rav 4, and Audi Q3.

I think you are confusing my comment.  If you have a car which is only for local running about and small journeys a 100 mile EV is perfectly adequate.  So why have a 300 mile SUV for running about in?

If you have occasional long journeys then yes a longer range vehicle does make more sense.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I think you are confusing my comment.  If you have a car which is only for local running about and small journeys a 100 mile EV is perfectly adequate.  So why have a 300 mile SUV for running about in?

If you have occasional long journeys then yes a longer range vehicle does make more sense.

It’s just my personal TTPYOTS where SUV’s seem to just get labelled bad when there’s other cars taking up more space, and often emitting more emissions getting away with it. “He has an SUV, how inconsiderate”. A mondeo is probably causing more of an issue but nobody mentions that or sneers at them 🙂 

On the point though I don’t think I agree. Realistically people need a car which covers their worst case usage. If once a month they do a big journey or need a lot of room to move stuff, or have 5 adults in the car etc then they need a vehicle for that, even if it’s only 10% of their car usage. 

I think over time peoples behaviours towards stopping for 20-30 mins for a top up charge will change and it’ll become more normal. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s just my personal TTPYOTS where SUV’s seem to just get labelled bad when there’s other cars taking up more space, and often emitting more emissions getting away with it. “He has an SUV, how inconsiderate”. A mondeo is probably causing more of an issue but nobody mentions that or sneers at them 🙂 

On the point though I don’t think I agree. Realistically people need a car which covers their worst case usage. If once a month they do a big journey or need a lot of room to move stuff, or have 5 adults in the car etc then they need a vehicle for that, even if it’s only 10% of their car usage. 

I think over time peoples behaviours towards stopping for 20-30 mins for a top up charge will change and it’ll become more normal. 

Each to their own.  I'd be perfectly fine with a 200 mile range EV that I had to guarantee to top up on a long journey because I'd ALWAYS stop for a toilet break and a coffee after 100 miles or so.   I'm looking at the ID2 released next year which should be about 220 miles I think.

Mrs Sidcow also thinks she should change to an EV next.  I'm not so sure, I think she's probably best waiting because she still does take the occasional long journey.  If she wait's 5-6 years they are all likely to be solid state batteries doing 500+ mile range or more anyway on the bigger cars.

To Genie's point, my other issue is the price of small runarounds. Previously you could get a decent nick, low miles, couple years old Polo for around 5-10k, those days are long gone. Saw one dealer selling a couple years old Polo for >£20k  🤯

When you're paying that amount, you kind of prefer to go bigger to feel like you're getting more for your money (even if running costs are then invariably higher)

• Like 1

Can't wait to hear what @Xann is going to write.  he's been typing for about half an hour now.  Essay incoming 😀

Hahahaha - Several things going on at once!

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Exactly the same thing happened in the telecoms sector 15-20 years ago when Huawei appeared on the scene. All the established players (Nokia/Ericsson) got squeezed out. Now we're spending millions ripping it all out to put (you guessed it) Nokia and Ericsson kit back in.

UK intelligence services objected to the Chinese getting the comms infrastructure build,  but corruption saw the deal through.

190428-Huawei-board-2672721466.jpg.24df4e263152c4887f23d07ec486f5cd.jpg

• Like 2

An Alfa? Sometimes it's even worked I bet :lol:

Ah that old chestnut. Never any trouble with it in my ownership anyway. My only worry is that if/when there is trouble in the future, spare parts are already a bastard to get hold of.

16 minutes ago, Xann said:

UK intelligence services objected to the Chinese getting the comms infrastructure build,  but corruption saw the deal through.

190428-Huawei-board-2672721466.jpg.24df4e263152c4887f23d07ec486f5cd.jpg

White collar gangsters in my opinion. Should have criminal charges against them.

Sorry for going off topic. But back on topic, the Chinese have serious clout to muscle into any market they like, eg automotive.

Edited by stuart_75
Going back on topic.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ah that old chestnut. Never any trouble with it in my ownership anyway. My only worry is that if/when there is trouble in the future, spare parts are already a bastard to get hold of.

I know, just a josh.  Some of the most unreliable motors are the Audi's and BMW's according to actual statistics but general perception is they are better quality.  It's a bit like the thing about the Grunaid been pore at smelling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Wasn't sure what to reply to, but this will do.

You make very good points, as does @Genie, but some people just like cars and thats makes the rational/sensible decision redundant. Why have a 3 litre Audi, when a 1 litre Fiesta would suffice?. As Billie Piper once sang, "because we want to, because we want to"

Cars are appliances to some people, and I get that. I understand it. To other people, they are a hobby, or interest, or passion.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Wasn't sure what to reply to, but this will do.

You make very good points, as does @Genie, but some people just like cars and thats makes the rational/sensible decision redundant. Why have a 3 litre Audi, when a 1 litre Fiesta would suffice?. As Billie Piper once sang, "because we want to, because we want to"

Cars are appliances to some people, and I get that. I understand it. To other people, they are a hobby, or interest, or passion.

Yeah fine. I'm not telling anyone what they should do. I'm just pointing out the logic. 

If I win The Lottery I'm buying an Aston Martin I have no need for. 

The only preaching I will do if that of you are driving little Fortescue and Syngen to school in your Range Rover you are happily polluting the world and poisoning the school kids walking to school. 

Hopefully I can get an electric Aston Martin. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â