What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

On the topic of SUV sizing, @Stevo985 is right, most of it is mental.

We're looking to replace my Skoda Rapid next year, to get something bigger. Looked at a few mid sized SUVs, but none of them are actually bigger in a practical sense. My Rapid for me doesn't feel big, but it has 550L of boot space :D 

When I think bigger now, I think longer. Like Combi style.

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nearly a month into owning an EV for the first time.

Current spend on charging it is £22.73. For around 750 miles

That would have cost me about £150 in petrol in my last car (a golf)

Can you write to The Telegraph and Daily Mail who run weekly headlines saying that EV's are more expensive to run than ICE vehicles. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The new Aston Martin garage has opened in Shirley. I'm pretty sure there are more of them on the forecourt than exist in The West Midlands in total 😂

Their shares just dipped 20% due to profits warning 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Can you write to The Telegraph and Daily Mail who run weekly headlines saying that EV's are more expensive to run than ICE vehicles. 

Yeah these things drive me mad. You see them all over social media.

Someone charging an EV at a motorway service station rapid charger and moaning that it's really expensive. of course it is!

One in Birmingham Live the other day compared the cost of Newcastle to London and back and used motorway rapid chargers for the EV charges.

Don't get me wrong, if you're not set up for home charging then it probably is more expensive. Or not THAT much cheaper.

But if you are, especially if you're on an EV tariff, it's miles cheaper

• Like 1

Full EV MG ZS can be had for less than £19k brand new now, that’s insanely cheap.

MG_ZS_EV_2022-01@2x.jpg

MG_ZS_EV_2022-02.jpg

ZS-EV-interior-dash.jpg

7 year, 80,000 mile warranty, 

Just under £22k for the long range battery version.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

...especially if you're on an EV tariff, it's miles cheaper

Interesting seeing your figures presented like that.

Your Golf is a third cheaper than the off peak train fair I'll be buying to see family in Torquay, let alone the EV.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah these things drive me mad. You see them all over social media.

Someone charging an EV at a motorway service station rapid charger and moaning that it's really expensive. of course it is!

One in Birmingham Live the other day compared the cost of Newcastle to London and back and used motorway rapid chargers for the EV charges.

Don't get me wrong, if you're not set up for home charging then it probably is more expensive. Or not THAT much cheaper.

But if you are, especially if you're on an EV tariff, it's miles cheaper

And I'm sure if you are charging up during your weekly shop at the supermarket on a mid speed charge charger it's also significantly cheaper than using a fast charger on the M6.  You would probably be more aware than me on these things but I'm looking forward to finding out.

It is an issue with people who don't have access to a home charger...but a lot of companies are also installing them for staff as well now.  They are focusing on a small proportion of the most expensive chargers for a small proportion of the population to boldly announce they are more expensive.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The new Aston Martin garage has opened in Shirley. I'm pretty sure there are more of them on the forecourt than exist in The West Midlands in total 😂

I work just off Cranmore Blvd, so have passed this place during its construction a fair bit.

I often thought in these tough times this area really needs an Aston Martin dealership, lo and behold one pops up. 

1 minute ago, stuart_75 said:

I work just off Cranmore Blvd, so have passed this place during its construction a fair bit.

I often thought in these tough times this area really needs an Aston Martin dealership, lo and behold one pops up. 

At least the Ferrari dealer round the corner has the good grace to only have a couple of cars on show😀.

Just now, sidcow said:

At least the Ferrari dealer round the corner has the good grace to only have a couple of cars on show😀.

With all the cash those Solihull MILFs have, those cars must be flying off the forecourt (and the Porsche dealership over the road)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

With all the cash those Solihull MILFs have, those cars must be flying off the forecourt (and the Porsche dealership over the road)

Got them all in Solihull now. Aston, Ferrari, Mclaren, Maserati, Porsche, Range Rover. Up the rode in Henley, Bentley, Lambourghini. Must be some serious green round Solihull now.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

And I'm sure if you are charging up during your weekly shop at the supermarket on a mid speed charge charger it's also significantly cheaper than using a fast charger on the M6.  You would probably be more aware than me on these things but I'm looking forward to finding out.

It is an issue with people who don't have access to a home charger...but a lot of companies are also installing them for staff as well now.  They are focusing on a small proportion of the most expensive chargers for a small proportion of the population to boldly announce they are more expensive.

I think the public infrastructure is still slightly behind where it needs to be to keep up with demand if I'm honest. But yeah a lot of companies are installing them at work. That's what ours does. i haven't used it yet but apparently it's very cheap

I got lucky as Audi were offering free chargers when you buy a new EV car. And mine is a company lease so I basically got it totally free.

(but even if you didn't, you'd make the money back in less than a year I reckon)

20 hours ago, Genie said:

Full EV MG ZS can be had for less than £19k brand new now, that’s insanely cheap.

MG_ZS_EV_2022-01@2x.jpg

MG_ZS_EV_2022-02.jpg

ZS-EV-interior-dash.jpg

7 year, 80,000 mile warranty, 

Just under £22k for the long range battery version.

Watched a YouTube video on this last night and the reviewer thought it was amazing value at £33k 10 months ago! 

Was raving about the quality of it. 

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Watched a YouTube video on this last night and the reviewer thought it was amazing value at £33k 10 months ago! 

Was raving about the quality of it. 

It’s incredible value for money. The Chinese must be making them at a loss. 

7 year warranty too. I am tempted tbh. 

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s incredible value for money. The Chinese must be making them at a loss. 

Oh no doubt.  The Government is bankrolling them to make cars so cheap they go on to dominate the world.  It's why USA and The EU are putting massive tariffs on UK cars.  We've already destroyed our car industry though so I guess were happy to just take the cheap cars.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Oh no doubt.  The Government is bankrolling them to make cars so cheap they go on to dominate the world.  It's why USA and The EU are putting massive tariffs on UK cars.  We've already destroyed our car industry though so I guess were happy to just take the cheap cars.

Exactly the same thing happened in the telecoms sector 15-20 years ago when Huawei appeared on the scene. All the established players (Nokia/Ericsson) got squeezed out. Now we're spending millions ripping it all out to put (you guessed it) Nokia and Ericsson kit back in.

We've got a BMW X1 (2-litre petrol) and a Mercedes A180 Coupe. They're different shapes/sizes so serve different purposes but both are similar sized engines, which is why we're mulling over changing one or both of them. Current debate is whether to just switch the X1 to an EV/Hybrid  or  to swap the Coupe for a smaller run around (for going into work) and then maybe getting a bigger SUV to replace the X1.

So all the info above on the cost of charging is really helpful. Thanks

1 hour ago, _AA_786 said:

We've got a BMW X1 (2-litre petrol) and a Mercedes A180 Coupe. They're different shapes/sizes so serve different purposes but both are similar sized engines, which is why we're mulling over changing one or both of them. Current debate is whether to just switch the X1 to an EV/Hybrid  or  to swap the Coupe for a smaller run around (for going into work) and then maybe getting a bigger SUV to replace the X1.

So all the info above on the cost of charging is really helpful. Thanks

Yes.  Mrs Sidcow has an A6 for the big drives and holidays and whatnot.

I have a Polo for my little journeys locally, to the train station.  Villa Park is the longest regular journey I do.  Almost never go down the motorway.  A small EV would be absolutely perfect for me which is why I will get one next change.

Apparently an EV with a 100 mile range (they pretty much ALL have more now) would be suitable for 90% of journeys undertaken in the UK, yet everyone is driving round in 350 mile range SUV's.  Pick your car for it's purpose.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â