What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's a stretch of road by me that is a 30, at various points it switches between 20, 30 and 50, with no changes in the actual speed limit.

Another place out towards my parents' has a small sliproad that's a national speed limit, it doesn't recognise it's a NSL road until you're way onto the carriageway and wants you to try and merge at 30.

The thing's completely unfit for purpose as anything but an advisory aid. 

Agreed. 

They feel like something that possibly works with major roads, motorways etc, but completely falls apart when you put up against tiny b roads and rapidly changeable routes.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The one that really **** me off is the collision warning, and I'm not able to turn that one off - lane warnings and speed warnings can at least be set to off in my car, and they stay off. Collision warnings can't be disabled at all.

Occasionally it'll decide I'm going to crash into parked cars that I'm not particularly close to. To warn me about this the dash lights up bright red and a load beep goes out, causing not inconsiderable alarm the first few times, much more dangerous than the non-event it was warning me about.

It's like driving with the world's most jumpy passenger.

None of that nonsense on my trusty steed

40350049180-c6cfa90dc2-b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went on our first long road trip as a family last week. Only just squeezed everything in with a 11 month old baby, and me and the Mrs. Will need something bigger soon. I wanted an SUV like a Volvo XC60 but looking at the boot size, it's even smaller than my Rapid now.

The new Superb Combi looks excellent, I'm a little bit in love and absolutely a size upgrade. 650L boot space, woof.

OIP.gcgBZhEhiZn23mPKBjtavwHaEK?rs=1&pid=

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Went on our first long road trip as a family last week. Only just squeezed everything in with a 11 month old baby, and me and the Mrs. Will need something bigger soon. I wanted an SUV like a Volvo XC60 but looking at the boot size, it's even smaller than my Rapid now.

The new Superb Combi looks excellent, I'm a little bit in love and absolutely a size upgrade. 650L boot space, woof.

OIP.gcgBZhEhiZn23mPKBjtavwHaEK?rs=1&pid=

I was given the vRS version of that as a loan car recently. 

Oh my days.....2.3 ltr engine....sh*t off a shovel quick ! It was definitely a case of how many gallons to the mile did it do.

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

For novelty value today , I got out the  car and used the self parking mode on it today and this is what it came up with

I guess the AI really does know it’s a BMW. 😀

IMG_3049.jpeg

Parking algorithm based on millions of examples of real BMW drivers parking habits. 

• Like 1

Decent size EV from European legacy brand for less than £22k. You can lease this for around £250 per month. 

And as an added bonus you get to watch Nicola Hume. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Decent size EV from European legacy brand for less than £22k. You can lease this for around £250 per month. 

And as an added bonus you get to watch Nicola Hume. 

Nicola is great isn't she?

I've got a change of car due soon. On Motability, and definitely getting another electric car, they are perfect for us. 

The Kona electric has been a star and so am obviously looking at the new model Kona, but am a tad concerned about the negative aspects of it (in particular the horrendous driver safety warnings and "assist" mechanisms).

On Motability there are limited choices, (and the upfront cost is a bit random and doesn't seem to reflect real world pricing at all) but my list so far is: 

Kona Electric 

Skoda Enyaq

Ioniq 5 (with luck the 2025 update)

BYD Dolphin

I must admit I'm very impressed with the BYD battery tech - it is practically impossible to set fire to and it seems almost immune to degradation through deep charging cycles. Has gotten very good reviews (Nicola likes it).

I'll be doing some test drives in the coming weeks hopefully.

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Nicola is great isn't she?

I've got a change of car due soon. On Motability, and definitely getting another electric car, they are perfect for us. 

The Kona electric has been a star and so am obviously looking at the new model Kona, but am a tad concerned about the negative aspects of it (in particular the horrendous driver safety warnings and "assist" mechanisms).

On Motability there are limited choices, (and the upfront cost is a bit random and doesn't seem to reflect real world pricing at all) but my list so far is: 

Kona Electric 

Skoda Enyaq

Ioniq 5 (with luck the 2025 update)

BYD Dolphin

I must admit I'm very impressed with the BYD battery tech - it is practically impossible to set fire to and it seems almost immune to degradation through deep charging cycles. Has gotten very good reviews (Nicola likes it).

I'll be doing some test drives in the coming weeks hopefully.

The dolphin isn't in the same category as the other 3, shouldn't you look at the Atto 3 or Seal?

40 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The dolphin isn't in the same category as the other 3, shouldn't you look at the Atto 3 or Seal?

Not available on Motability. The dolphin supposedly has good interior space for its size (and if it's possible to get decent space without it being SUV sizes that's probably a good thing).

But yeah, interior space is another criteria and the ioniq 5 and enyaq are definitely the top of the list in that area.

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Not available on Motability. The dolphin supposedly has good interior space for its size (and if it's possible to get decent space without it being SUV sizes that's probably a good thing).

But yeah, interior space is another criteria and the ioniq 5 and enyaq are definitely the top of the list in that area.

Ioniq 5 and Enyaq are the stand outs there, Enyaq probably the best.

6 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Ioniq 5 and Enyaq are the stand outs there, Enyaq probably the best.

Yeah. But the Enyaq doesn't have V2L and the battery tech isn't as good as BYD. Also the heat pump is like a thousand pounds extra. And it seems like it's very very big and heavy. But in other ways it is clearly a fantastic, spacious, premium car.

What I'm finding it that all the cars have advantages and disadvantages so it'll come down to which features we most value because none of them have everything.

Rock on the test drives!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question which I'm sure one of you knowledgeable lot will be able to answer.  I have high beam assist on my BMW and I'm not sure if it turns the high beam on if conditions allow or turns it off under certain criteria.  Did anyone know which one it is?

4 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I have a question which I'm sure one of you knowledgeable lot will be able to answer.  I have high beam assist on my BMW and I'm not sure if it turns the high beam on if conditions allow or turns it off under certain criteria.  Did anyone know which one it is?

Why are you interested. Just do as all other BMW drivers and leave the lights permanently on full beam. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why are you interested. Just do as all other BMW drivers and leave the lights permanently on full beam. 

Same question to the knowledgeable guys now 😉

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for a new car?
Want a car that has a famous name and a fan base?
Want a car that says 80’s old fashioned man’s man sex appeal?

But also want a generic EV sort of SUV box sort of modern blob drawn by the computer that could be a Volvo, or an MG, Peugeot, Kia, well pretty much anything?

no problem…

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 02/08/2024 at 21:19, dubbs said:

I know this is a couple of weeks old. High beam assist turns on when conditions allow, I.e no cars coming toward, an off if a car appears. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I know this is a couple of weeks old. High beam assist turns on when conditions allow, I.e no cars coming toward, an off if a car appears. Hope that helps.

You still have to turn high beam on as normal, but when a car or pedestrian is detected it turns it off itself momentarily, then back on again once they’ve passed.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

You still have to turn high beam on as normal, but when a car or pedestrian is detected it turns it off itself momentarily, then back on again once they’ve passed.

I can only speak for a couple of vehicles. I know on older Mercedes it's the normal push down of the stick. My BYD, an many other top spec vehicles now, including Mercedes-Benz are generally set through the menu on the control screens.

27 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I can only speak for a couple of vehicles. I know on older Mercedes it's the normal push down of the stick. My BYD, an many other top spec vehicles now, including Mercedes-Benz are generally set through the menu on the control screens.

I didn’t even know this was a thing. My Mercedes might be a little outside of the age of that function, but I’m certainly going to check it tomorrow.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â