What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

I have never bought tartan paint, a left handed screwdriver or gap insurance

so far, I haven't missed any of them - the amount of pressure they will apply to get you to buy gap should give you some indication how much of it is commission

Thanks I will get it separately.  They have offered me a 2 year old used BMW for £21k.  It's top of the range with all the trimmings. Considering the biggest depreciation on the car has already happened I imagine that would be a pretty good deal on PCP?

Marque:BMW
Model:3 SERIES DIESEL SALOON
Version:320d M Sport 4dr Step Auto
Exterior Colour:Black Sapphire
Interior Colour:Black-Dakota Leather
Model Year:2013 63
Body Style:Saloon
Engine Capacity:2,000
Mileage:20,600
Transmission:Automatic
Fuel Type:Diesel
Price:£21,450

Well I've done something today that I never thought I'd do. No, not that, I've gone and bought a personalised reg number.

Nothing too ostentatious, like something you have to explain in a message underneath, just a relevant number and my initials.

Nice and cheap off the DVLA site.

So details are as follows:

- Cash Value - £21,450

- Deposit - £4,000

- APR - 9.2%

- Flat Rate - 4.7% (I still don't know what this is)

- 48 Months

- GFV - £8,299

- 8,000 miles

- £282 pcm

- Total charges at end of 4 years - £17,824 or £26,000 if I make the baloon payment

Does that seem like a good deal. Also from what the guy said I could conceivably sell the car in 2 years time and settle the finance myself. Is that correct?

Been chatting with the Bentley dealership about ordering a Continental GT V8 to replace my departed Carrera 4S, and so got invited to a sneak preview of the new Bentayga 4x4 tonight.

Got to say that it looks very much like the new Audi Q7 but bejazzled. No doubt it will sell like hotcakes, especially here, but was pretty underwhelmed. Without getting into the debate as to whether Bentley should be making an SUV at all, it's beautifully trimmed and built, but definitely someone that one can trace it's VW Group lineage to.

- Cash Value - £21,450

- Deposit - £4,000

- APR - 9.2%

- 48 Months

- GFV - £8,299

- 8,000 miles

- £282 pcm

- Total charges at end of 4 years - £17,824 or £26,000 if I make the baloon payment

Does that seem like a good deal. Also from what the guy said I could conceivably sell the car in 2 years time and settle the finance myself. Is that correct?

Depends on the car. APR seems a bit steep, my car is 0%. Also you need to be sure you're not going to go much over 8k PA on the mileage.

You can settle the finance yourself at any time. The salesman is probably saying that you'll pay back past the value of the car in about 2 years, which is conceivable. 

48 months is a long time to be tied in. They may be overestimating the GFV to get the balloon higher to get the payments down.

Massive discounts are available on new cars through brokers. On a 2nd hand car you won't be getting the same level of discount.

If you can get anywhere near that with a brand new car through a broker I'd be looking at that instead.

- Cash Value - £21,450

- Deposit - £4,000

- APR - 9.2%

- 48 Months

- GFV - £8,299

- 8,000 miles

- £282 pcm

Regarding the last point, yes it is and you will almost certainly get a better deal by doing so. With my last one I was going to sell it privately then settle the finance rather than give it to BMW as I would have been left with some cash, in the end though I gave it to Audi in part ex and they gave me even more for it as they wanted my trade over BMW.

PCP deals are pretty good but don't believe them when they come out with the old chestnut of "you'll probably have £x amount of your deposit back at the end of the 2 years to put into your next car" it won't happen.

I've had a couple of PCP deals with Sytner and they are okay as long as you go into it with a good grasp of the deal which you will I'm sure.

The 4.7% is the interest charge I believe.

• Like 1

Does it have to be BMW?

For instance, I've just got a quote on DTD for an A5 coupe 190 S line TDI multitronic, £35k car discounted to £28k. Then the balloon will be more like £12k, and you'll probably be paying the same kind of monthly figure (or slightly more) as the APR would be more like 5% over 48 months with a £4k deposit.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â