What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Test drove one of these babies today. R-Design spec, D3 2 litre 5 cylinder diesel. Nice to drive, bags of torque. Something a bit different (and safe!)

I'm tempted (very).

kfz37287121_na11oyu_2.jpg

Nice cars. Would have considered when I was getting a new car in March but they're about twice the price of mine.

Always had a soft spot for Volvo due to them being more interested in saving lives than making money.

• Like 1

There are some smart looking Volvos on the roads these days.  A far cry from the boxy granddad mobiles of my yoof.

They've come a long way since they were owned by Ford, a bit like JLR have really. You're right, they make decent looking cars these days. There were a couple of the new XC90s in the showroom and I must say it looks some motor, the interior is gorgeous.. Budget won't quite stretch that far though. 

They were, they've been owned by Tata.since 2008. Volvo have been owned by Chinese company Geely since 2010.

Must have something to do with them still as my mate works for JLR and gets to choose between Jags, Land Rovers or Fords for his cars.

2014 V70 diesel. Not the colour of choice but the deal was too good for me to bother.

Seats are still the main perks of a big Volvo, MUCH better than the Merc. And a heater in the steering-wheel :D

M49HoIP.jpg

And it came with the LCD instrument panel. Dunno if I like it but hey ho

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

That's a barge, mate.:P

:D I don't do small cars. The other is a S80, 155000 miles and doesn't put a foot wrong, best car I've ever owned. Will keep it until total breakdown.

I've had an A3 but was never comfortable in it.

That's a barge, mate.:P

:D I don't do small cars. The other is a S80, 155000 miles and doesn't put a foot wrong, best car I've ever owned. Will keep it until total breakdown.

I've had an A3 but was never comfortable in it.

TBH, I should have got myself a Volvo years ago, but I've been a Ford man as long as I can remember. My previous car was a Mondeo Tddi estate that clocked 176k, the only problem with it was it failed the MOT every year for the same things. My Focus has got to 172k and is going soon, so it looks like the V60, which is classed as a Sport Wagon rather than an estate but it's still pretty roomy. Still some Ford DNA in them though.

My Freelander is a glorious hotch potch of JLR/Ford stuff. Some details are borrowed from the Range Rover (steering wheel/dash/gear lever) Some Fords (power output sockets/pedals) and some Volvo (electric seat motors etc.) 

This is probably the most boring post I've ever posted here. 

• Like 1

I know I've mentioned this a few times but really don't know what to do.

- Buy a brand new BMW 3 series M Sport - £4k deposit, £315 pcm over 36 months. I basically have enough capital and part ex value to buy a car in the £13k range so I would put some of the money aside to fund monthly payments.

- Buy an older BMW for an outlay of £13k to £14k - something like this http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507275538522?utm_source=Triggered_Emails&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Car_Dealer_Mailing_April_2014

The pros and cons are as follows as far as I am aware:

PCP

- Able to get a brand new top spec car for a good price
- Have gap insurance included
- Number of options at the end
- I can't really get out of the deal if my personal situation changes
- Based on current prices I could build up a decent amount of equity
- They may be picky on wear, tear etc
- I am stuck with that dealer if I want to upgrade
- No real residual value unless I upgrade
- Service covered probably low maintenance costs and low tax on new car

Used

- Initial capital outlay
- Still a decent car albeit older
- Residual value so have more flexibility
- More chance of things going wrong
- I don't know much about cars so will need to take an expert with me to view it to make sure nothing is wrong
- Tax and ongoing costs will be higher probably

I really don't know what to do.  With the little one on the way I am thinking that I need to be responsible and not splash out and commit to monthly payments. At least with the used car I could get out and not be too hurt financially. Then again I never really splash out on anything so might be nice to have a brand new car. What would you do?!

#FirstWorldProblems

you could buy a fairly new car, from a main dealer, on a pcp

Let somebody else take the first year depreciation hit, keep the comfort of a relatively new car from a 'reputable' garage with an approved used type scheme.

-

Have you considered a completely left field different approach? Get a brand new cheap car? You can buy a great big shiny new Dacia for £11k. It's new so it has the warranty, it's big and shiny. Absolute maximum loss at 100% depreciation is £11k over 4 years. So absolutely any value left in it in 4 years time is yours to spend on chips and beer.

Image.jpg

PCP

I may be wrong but I think PCP deals allow you to give the car back at any time. I'm pretty sure mine does.

You'd sacrifice whatever benefit you'd get by keeping the car, i.e. you'd get no equity and no upgrade, but you can just give it back

• Like 1

I have a PCP over three years and I can give the car back and walk away at any time.

PCP for me all day long. More car for your money and pretty much hassle free for three years. No worries about things blowing up as its covered under warranty. No MOTs to worry about. Servicing included in the costs. Basically the only cost is petrol and insurance. Everything else is fixed cost and covered. Much easier to budget.

• Like 1

PCP

--- You can

- They may be picky on wear, tear etc

--- They're not as long as it's not mistreated.

- I am stuck with that dealer if I want to upgrade

--- You're not

edit : Definitely PCP

Edited by darrenm

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â