What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

So.. back on motoring.

I'm currently looking at a crossover to replace the Octy. Costs me a lot in petrol and tax (even though I average about 32 MPG which is decent for it) and if I do use it to its potential I just end up paying more for petrol and tyres. It's massively practical though, loads of space, nice to drive and has a huge boot for the family holidays.

So I've been looking at cars which have the same practicality but will cost a bit less to run, tax and insure.

I'm down to a Yeti, Qashqai and maybe a Sportage.

Leaning towards a Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.5DCi. 74MPG, free tax, loads of toys. About £250 / month on PCP. Cheapest Yeti is £159 PCP which is tempting.

I drove a qasqai last week for 5 days.

They're nice to look at, but I didn't like the way it handled at all. Felt very top heavy. Understeer into a corner and then it would snatch into the turn. And I wasn't racing it or anything.

Would at least take some getting used to.

Practical though. Although once you had 3 in the back it was still a squeeze

Edited by Stevo985

I'm with you villaajax, Audi drivers are all massive rocket polishers! ;)

meh you ain't getting off that lightly either

bmw-drivers-bmw-driver-test-iq-subhuman-

so, a couple of years back I was in the motorway services down the M5 around about Bridgewater ish

I went for a little wee, turned to wash my hands and in that split of a second where your brain is selecting a wash hand basin

BOOM!

the wash hand basin have exploded off the wall and been thrown across the room

in their place when the dust settled, a man on a seat holding a steering wheel

He'd been driving a coach into the coach park bit, got something wrong and launched himself through the wall and into the toilets. The impact had shattered the giant coach windscreen so all we saw, stood their in the bogs, was a man perched up on a seat clutching a steering wheel. Incredibly, no serious injuries, I had a nick off a piece of wall tile but really nothing. It really did look like the proverbial bomb had gone off.

Not sure what the NCAP rating for a bloody big coach is.

Oh, and for the record, I've never checked the NCAP on any car I've bought. I've kinda presumed whilst driving a Triumph Spitfire that I'll come off worst in a collision with a crisp packet and I've kinda presumed most modern cars are broadly ok for the occupants and reasonable speeds and fairly dangerous at 115mph.

1962_chevrolet_impala-pic-9141.jpeg

no, I don't actually drive one myself, I just wanted to redress the balance a bit for VA who is clearly feeling a little unloved here

one for you, man

I love the look of that car. Better than any Audi. Or pretty much most modern cars to be honest.

What is it 

Edited by TrinityRoadSteps
  • Like 1

1962_chevrolet_impala-pic-9141.jpeg

no, I don't actually drive one myself, I just wanted to redress the balance a bit for VA who is clearly feeling a little unloved here

one for you, man

I love the look of that car. Better than any Audi. Or pretty much most modern cars to be honest.

What is it

It's an ugly mother of a car though ... Give me modern styling / design any day of the week

BnoFFLzIIAAmgrh.jpg

ah, talking of classics......

Had my shiny bonnet star nicked for the first time ever recently.

The garage gave me a new one for free, look how it sparkles. OK it's a bit too close to dusk to sparkle, but it did earlier today, honest.

I say free, £4k / £5k of services over the last 8 years or so should get you more than a free badge really.

Of all the silly toys and gadgets that badge is the most pointless, the most pompous and the one I like the most. I know that's all a bit shallow but there you go. If / when I change to something else I'll have to take a leaf out of my nipper's book, currently sporting a toshiba laptop with an apple logo sticker over the badge in the middle of the lid. All the shallow pose and a thousand pound saved. Wonder if you can graft a star onto a SsangYong?

BnoFFLzIIAAmgrh.jpg

ah, talking of classics......

Had my shiny bonnet star nicked for the first time ever recently.

The garage gave me a new one for free, look how it sparkles. OK it's a bit too close to dusk to sparkle, but it did earlier today, honest.

I say free, £4k / £5k of services over the last 8 years or so should get you more than a free badge really.

Of all the silly toys and gadgets that badge is the most pointless, the most pompous and the one I like the most. I know that's all a bit shallow but there you go. If / when I change to something else I'll have to take a leaf out of my nipper's book, currently sporting a toshiba laptop with an apple logo sticker over the badge in the middle of the lid. All the shallow pose and a thousand pound saved. Wonder if you can graft a star onto a SsangYong?

Because I've got the AMG grille, mine doesn't come with the bonnet star.

:(  Huge 1st world problem, I know :blush: 

VA, serious question, not a dig. Do you like any cars that aren't Fords?

Some.

I just don't care for modern designs and styling, everything just looks the same. Bland. It's all about small, economical engines and modern gimmicks.

Muscle cars appeal to me most and always have and Ford have always made the best muscle cars. Mustang, (Gran) Torino, Talladega, Landau, my personal favourite, the Australian Falcon. I would swap my Mustang in an instant for a '73 Ford Falcon XB GT.

I like old Jaguars. Some Aston Martins. I can appreciate a Charger, Camaro or a Holden Monaro (classics of course) but Ford's designs just appeal to me most. I don't like everything Ford does, the Ka was a hideous design but it seems to appeal to women who it was designed for. The new Kas look a whole lot better but still... I think my 1999 Mk 1 Focus is nothing special to look at but it is a brilliant car, it has never let me down, I feel confident that it would get me anywhere and today it sailed straight through another MOT. I've had it 3 years and never had so much as an advisory.

Cars are my dad's passion, he also enjoys buying and selling them, both to make money and to experience another car and so I've seen literally hundreds of cars come and go (he's owned just off 400 since the 70s, has a book where he's kept a record of everything he's owned) and so I've had the chance to try out quite a few makes and models and I have to say that out of his cars, the one I enjoyed driving the most was actually a Mondeo. Everything felt comfortable and responsive.

Mercedes - A nice drive, very smooth and comfortable but didn't just didn't have something the Mondeo did for me. Best German manufacturer for me.

Toyota - Decent, nothing particularly special although the Celica GT can go!

Nissan - Didn't care for this at all. Can't remember the model but one drive around the block was enough for me.

Peugeot - I've driven 3 different ones and they all have the same horrible sloppy gearbox.

Renault - Slightly better gearbox than a Peugeot but still very much the same car.

Volkswagen - Overrated. In all honesty, my sister's Golf is the worst car I have ever driven.

I could go on

A friend of my sister's asked me if he could have a drive of my Mustang in exchange for a drive of his Aston Martin Vantage (before he swaps it for some Nissan 370z or whatever) so I'll have to report back on that one but I'm looking forward to it.

But as it stands, the most enjoyment I've had driving is from the Mustang. Style, looks, power, the sound. Whatever you say it's an iconic car.

• Like 2

That's quite a few cars your Old Fella's had.

What were his favourites?

I'm not sure what his one favourite car is that he's owned but as a make, Jaguar is his favourite. He has a 2004 X-Type at the moment (one of his 3) but that's in the garage at the moment due to a diesel injector problem.

Though the one car I know he wishes he still had is his genuine, original Lotus Cortina. They go for for tens of thousands these days.

I don't think so... I'd have to check the book. I did make an attempt to computerise it for him but he prefers paper. Might have a bit of an access database on here still...

His first car was a Reliant SuperVan III, bought for £20 in 1976. He said one time he went around a corner too quick and his toolbox in the back jumped up and smashed straight through the fibreglass panel.

I hired an American muscle car the other year when I was over there

( dodge challenger )

It drove like a houseboat and other than making a cool noise when you floored it was distinctively meh all in all

It was bright orange and so when we drove it into red rocks for a concert we did get a lot of attention and comments from the Americans so I guess it clearly appealed to them

It's all subjective but I think modern cars look far nicer when compared to old cars in much the same way an iPhone looks better than my first ever Motorola 8000 mobile way way back

Edited by tonyh29

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â