What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Girly might be the wrong word.

I just put them in the same bracket as fiat 500s, minis, VW beetles even TTs

Perfectly good car. Very good in fact. I just see them as more suited to females in terms of looks.

But like I said, it was lovely to drive.

so was Ingram.

one of the parents at my kids school has purchased the BMW i3

you just wouldn't buy one of those cars on looks or performance so they are doing to impress everyone with their green credentials and thus they've gone on my " ignore at all cost list" as they are clearly a rocket polisher

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

one of the parents at my kids school has purchased the BMW i3

you just wouldn't buy one of those cars on looks or performance so they are doing to impress everyone with their green credentials and thus they've gone on my " ignore at all cost list" as they are clearly a rocket polisher

Jeremy?  Is that you?

• Like 1

Bit naughty.

That's all though. It's not saying those cars are unsafe.

(although you could assume that not submitting cars for testing means there's something unsafe about them)

Edited by Stevo985

So the story here is "car dealers tell lies to sell cars?" Not much of a story is it.

Also noone buying an R8 gives a shit about the safety rating.

• Like 3

So the story here is "car dealers tell lies to sell cars?" Not much of a story is it.

Also noone buying an R8 gives a shit about the safety rating.

Are you sure? Do you think if Euro NCAP got hold of one, tested it and it only got a 1 or 2 star rating it wouldn't have a negative effect on their sales and their reputation?

I think people who want to spend £100k+ on a fast car would prefer to spend it on something safe. There are other options. Of course, some people would still buy, but it would put a lot of people off.

I would imagine there are higher motivating factors when buying an R8 than it's safety rating but I accept it may put people off. That argument becomes more relevant in reference to the A5 or A6 models.

Sports car being less safe than a fiesta isn't really a surprise to me.

I agree with a lot of that.

I can only imagine the R8 in particular has a very poor rating compared to its competitors otherwise I'm sure they'd have done the test. I don't think people would expect a 5 star rating for a car of this type. It raises the question... why wasn't it put in for the test!

I can't speak for the rest of the population but personally I've never checked a cars safety rating when I've purchased one , I wouldn't have thought it was something a lot of people even worried about ?

I can't speak for the rest of the population but personally I've never checked a cars safety rating when I've purchased one , I wouldn't have thought it was something a lot of people even worried about ?

Do you check insurance costs? There is a direct correlation between safety rating and insurance rating/cost.

I don't think I ever have either. When we wanted a big family tank thing we bought a 4x4 on the logic it will smash all the smaller stuff out the way and the odds of getting side on'd by another vehicle of equivilent size were pretty small.

Even then, there were several things on the list above NCAP rating which made me decide on the purchase.

What if the dealer had said that it had scored just 1 star in the safety tests and it was the worst in class for safety? Would you still buy it and put your family in it?

Its not all about serious impacts. Even in a lower speed accident the crash tests measure things like the bhaviour of the seats, pedals, IP, roof, glass etc. If for example in a 10mph shunt the pedals were snapping and were at risk of breaking your leg you can kiss those safety stars away.

^^Its slightly counter-factual because no dealer would ever say that but yes.... I would probably think again. Mrs E would be out of the door faster than you could say crash test dummy.

Do you check insurance costs? There is a direct correlation between safety rating and insurance rating/cost.

I use compare the meerkat or something to get a good price but I don't check them on a car v car model v model basis ,... Like most that's just to make sure I'm not paying £1k when I can get it for £400

but to be fair my car goes through the company so I don't pay the insurance which might influence the answer to your question regarding choice and ratings

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â