What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

I agree with everything above. I love cars, love engineering, love fiddling with them, love driving fast ones, love motorsport, proper petrolhead, but I'm done with them as anything but a tool for me now.

The important stuff is your family, your health, and your financial health. Cars are a waste of money and don't give you back anything like what you put into them.

Going out walking with your family, or cycling, or running, or going on holiday, or anything that improves your health and doesn't cost money in itself is an enhancement to your life. Cars aren't.

Buy the cheapest thing that will be reliable and cheap to run but gives you everything you need. If you can afford the waste of buying a brand new expensive car for a few toys then great for you.

Absolutely spot on!

Ive read on here people slightly envious of people affording beautiful new cars, but the chances are a high number of people you see with a new car paying £300+ a month can't really afford it and are sacrificing nights out, holidays abroad, buying their own flat, in fact sacrificing A LIFE (like the apprentice at my work who has admitted he cant afford to go out at weekends now) just to pay for a shiny new car.

A car isnt going to create life long memories like an adventure abroad, a car isnt going to help you in your retirement like owning your own place will or using that £300 a month to cover a mortgage for a small, cheap flat you can buy and rent out.

I own my own place, go out every week, go on holidays abroad fairly regularly.

Am I allowed a nice car? Or is there something else I should be spending my own money on?

It's 100% your own choice. That was my caveat, if you can afford the waste of money (which can't really be argued in most cases), then great for you. If you like the satisfaction of being in a nice car and consider it worth the money, that's your choice. Everyone likes different things.

I agree with everything above. I love cars, love engineering, love fiddling with them, love driving fast ones, love motorsport, proper petrolhead, but I'm done with them as anything but a tool for me now.

The important stuff is your family, your health, and your financial health. Cars are a waste of money and don't give you back anything like what you put into them.

Going out walking with your family, or cycling, or running, or going on holiday, or anything that improves your health and doesn't cost money in itself is an enhancement to your life. Cars aren't.

Buy the cheapest thing that will be reliable and cheap to run but gives you everything you need. If you can afford the waste of buying a brand new expensive car for a few toys then great for you.

Absolutely spot on!

Ive read on here people slightly envious of people affording beautiful new cars, but the chances are a high number of people you see with a new car paying £300+ a month can't really afford it and are sacrificing nights out, holidays abroad, buying their own flat, in fact sacrificing A LIFE (like the apprentice at my work who has admitted he cant afford to go out at weekends now) just to pay for a shiny new car.

A car isnt going to create life long memories like an adventure abroad, a car isnt going to help you in your retirement like owning your own place will or using that £300 a month to cover a mortgage for a small, cheap flat you can buy and rent out.

Am I allowed a nice car? Or is there something else I should be spending my own money on?

It's 100% your own choice. That was my caveat, if you can afford the waste of money (which can't really be argued in most cases), then great for you. If you like the satisfaction of being in a nice car and consider it worth the money, that's your choice. Everyone likes different things.
but like I said, everything is a waste of money.

We could all live on a weekly budget of 100 quid.

Nice food, nice house, nice holidays, nice clothes, nice nights out, nice cars.

You could argue all of those are wastes of money.

Absolutely spot on!

I was referring to the apprentice lad at my work more then anything who is totally broke now cause of his new car so maybe I didnt explain properly. If you can afford it and still afford holidays, nights out, etc, then its totally different.

If it brings enjoyment then who cares what it costs

Stevo has it balanced so good luck to him , it's not like he is spending money on a car whilst living on bread and water to finance it

If it brings enjoyment then who cares what it costs

Stevo has it balanced so good luck to him , it's not like he is spending money on a car whilst living on bread and water to finance it

Exactly this. Stevo can afford it so its different.

But what I was getting at, and I think darren too, was that there are many who live on 'bread and water' (not literally) to pay for a new car. I have 2 mates who brought brand new cars who rarely come out and never go on holidays because they are broke. Yet if they wasnt paying £300 a month for the last few years on a car then their 20's would be alot more enjoyable.

Been thinking of getting a motorbike now for a while but have no idea where to start in terms of budget, power, scooter or bike?, age/economical values? etc...

Anyone here got a motorbike/scooter? Any advice on where to start?

What's the most important thing to you - Comfort. Style or Speed?

Been thinking of getting a motorbike now for a while but have no idea where to start in terms of budget, power, scooter or bike?, age/economical values? etc...

Anyone here got a motorbike/scooter? Any advice on where to start?

What's the most important thing to you - Comfort. Style or Speed?

first step is to hand your balls into the nearest post office and buy some tampons...

;)

• Like 2

A car isnt going to create life long memories like an adventure abroad,

What if you used your car for a driving holiday across Europe :)

I still remember many of our pan european escapades as a kid, including sleeping on the side of Lake Geneva, Austrain forests, De Efteling Theme Park, going through the tunnels under the Alps, my dad trying and spitting out an espresso in northern Italy. 

I have such fond memories that I've driven my kids around France in our car, plus a few trips to Eire, camping trips out to the Forest of Dean.

Without a decent car my kids would have missed out on a few years of competing in the South Wales junior surf and rescue competitions. Really early mornings watching the sun come up on freezing cold beaches from May until October with room for a couple of boards, a camping stove, kettle and frying pan.

I know it's not a very PC or acceptable thing to admit to, but my car has really helped give my kids a sweet few years of memories. 

The trick is to use it as a piece of kit that gets you to the beach, or gets you to Disneyland. Not as your crowning glory to be polished and stared at and compared with others as a pathetic status symbol.

• Like 2

Went to get some petrol earlier and just as I'm filling up, the town's boy racers all turn up in their Fiestas, Clios and whatever else with the big exhausts and spoilers and crap. One of them is the guy who visits his girlfriend down the street from me, whos Fiesta I drowned out the sound of. I thought "I'm going to get some hassle here..." then they all got out and stood there saying nothing just looking. I went in and paid as some more turned up, I went back out and... they were all really friendly asking what engine was it it and so on :thumb:

What's it like chris? To have no one take one look at your car? ;)

He has one of those "my other car is a ford" stickers on it so that people are suitably impressed and envious at the same time Edited by tonyh29

Went to get some petrol earlier and just as I'm filling up, the town's boy racers all turn up in their Fiestas, Clios and whatever else with the big exhausts and spoilers and crap. One of them is the guy who visits his girlfriend down the street from me, whos Fiesta I drowned out the sound of. I thought "I'm going to get some hassle here..." then they all got out and stood there saying nothing just looking. I went in and paid as some more turned up, I went back out and... they were all really friendly asking what engine was it it and so on :thumb:

cool story.

Can you tell it again? If you have time

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â