What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

A couple of years ago I was looking for a car around the same sort of price range you're looking for. I looked at Golfs and Minis, but the Golfs were just a little too pricey. I went for a four-year-old mini and I've never had a problem with it yet. It drives really nicely too, but considering they're BMW-made you expect them to I suppose. It corners wonderfully.

Edited by Ginko

Some of you lot are purchasing really nice cars. I really need to up my game in terms of my career. Earning £24k per year and pay £400 a month in rent so most are out of my league. But 2 years down the line I would like an Audi A5 turbo sport. Beautiful reliable cars.

Since a career disaster and general desire to 'chill out' - spending loads of money on car was one of the first comprises I made......what a lightbulb moment ! - I drive a peugeot 107 - which costs £20 to tax, £160 to insure , and does 50 MPG - why on earth did I throw all that money at big cars ?- which after youve been driving them a few weeks are all much of a muchness.....

• Like 1

Its definitely a good argument. 

My favorite car was a nail of an Astra I had whilst at uni.  The reasons were mostly based on the fact that because it was so cheap you could leave it anywhere with no fear of anyone messing with it.

You have to ask yourself whats important in a car.

yep, you have to look at cars as basically 'white goods'

what do you need it to do, what's the reliability like, what are the lifetime costs

Too much worry about badges and speed when in reality you can only go as fast as the nice person in front of you and you're sat inside the car so you can't see the sporty shape. I've ended up with a few nice cars but really almost by accident and it has revolved around getting ridiculously good deals and crazy interest. My eye opening moment was when I wanted to get rid of my Golf (most unreliable car I've ever owned and dealership and VW Milton Keynes were all liars). 

I wrongly presumed to go looking at 'everyday' cars and was getting really frustrated by the final price. Then I opened a Sunday paper and Merc were offering 1% interest. Turned out I could drive away a 3 year old C Class Avantgarde with electric and leather for a lower monthly than a new mid range Astra. What's more, having that attitude, rather than 'wanting' a Merc meant the salesman blinked first on every bit of the deal.

That's pretty much what I've done ever since because the deal has been good. But next time it could just as easily be a Skoda or an Audi or a Dacia if it does the job I need it to do and the price is right.

Currently driving a Saab 93 diesel. I think its my favourite car. Looks totally anonymous, does 40mpg even around town but moves like shit off a shovel if I want it to

An apprentice at work who is only 18, makes around £850 a month and is always complaining he is broke has just brought a brand new focus paying around £270 a month for 5 years (on pcp or whatever it is called, so wont own the car). Utter madness. Told him not to or to at least buy a car a few years old but he wouldn't listen.

I drive a 53 plate Honda Civic that cost £3000. Its old but it drives great, and it pleases me that im not wasting crazy money a month on something that is depreciating quickly and will not generate me money. For around the same monthly cost of a new car, providing you have a decent deposit, you could get a mortgage on a flat for that to live in or rent out.

I agree with everything above. I love cars, love engineering, love fiddling with them, love driving fast ones, love motorsport, proper petrolhead, but I'm done with them as anything but a tool for me now.

The important stuff is your family, your health, and your financial health. Cars are a waste of money and don't give you back anything like what you put into them.

Going out walking with your family, or cycling, or running, or going on holiday, or anything that improves your health and doesn't cost money in itself is an enhancement to your life. Cars aren't.

Buy the cheapest thing that will be reliable and cheap to run but gives you everything you need. If you can afford the waste of buying a brand new expensive car for a few toys then great for you.

What advantage do you have owning the car at the end of it, really?

I owned my golf. It got me 2 grand which I used towards my new car.

At the end of my PCP, assuming I keep my car in good nick, I'll probably have about the same, more if a trade it in against another Audi.

Obviously if you just want one car for years, its better to own it outright at the end. But if you'd like to change cars fairly regularly, especially if you'd like a nice car, PCP works.

I agree with everything above. I love cars, love engineering, love fiddling with them, love driving fast ones, love motorsport, proper petrolhead, but I'm done with them as anything but a tool for me now.

The important stuff is your family, your health, and your financial health. Cars are a waste of money and don't give you back anything like what you put into them.

Going out walking with your family, or cycling, or running, or going on holiday, or anything that improves your health and doesn't cost money in itself is an enhancement to your life. Cars aren't.

Buy the cheapest thing that will be reliable and cheap to run but gives you everything you need. If you can afford the waste of buying a brand new expensive car for a few toys then great for you.

Absolutely spot on!

Ive read on here people slightly envious of people affording beautiful new cars, but the chances are a high number of people you see with a new car paying £300+ a month can't really afford it and are sacrificing nights out, holidays abroad, buying their own flat, in fact sacrificing A LIFE (like the apprentice at my work who has admitted he cant afford to go out at weekends now) just to pay for a shiny new car.

A car isnt going to create life long memories like an adventure abroad, a car isnt going to help you in your retirement like owning your own place will or using that £300 a month to cover a mortgage for a small, cheap flat you can buy and rent out.

Absolutely spot on!

Ive read on here people slightly envious of people affording beautiful new cars, but the chances are a high number of people you see with a new car paying £300+ a month can't really afford it and are sacrificing nights out, holidays abroad, buying their own flat, in fact sacrificing A LIFE (like the apprentice at my work who has admitted he cant afford to go out at weekends now) just to pay for a shiny new car.

A car isnt going to create life long memories like an adventure abroad, a car isnt going to help you in your retirement like owning your own place will or using that £300 a month to cover a mortgage for a small, cheap flat you can buy and rent out.

I own my own place, go out every week, go on holidays abroad fairly regularly.

Am I allowed a nice car? Or is there something else I should be spending my own money on?

What advantage do you have owning the car at the end of it, really?

I owned my golf. It got me 2 grand which I used towards my new car.

At the end of my PCP, assuming I keep my car in good nick, I'll probably have about the same, more if a trade it in against another Audi.

Obviously if you just want one car for years, its better to own it outright at the end. But if you'd like to change cars fairly regularly, especially if you'd like a nice car, PCP works.

PCP is a good way of motoring because it eliminates a lot of extraneous costs. It almost makes sense for me to use my Octavia as the deposit for a new Yeti, pay the £160 / month PCP, save c.£80 / month in petrol due to the more efficient engine, but have no repair bills, lower tax, no MOT, and probably put SMT on top as well so effectively it's £300 / month everything in motoring for me, rather than £200 / month petrol + whatever I have to pay for servicing, maintenance and tyres. So I get the nice newness for free, or maybe something like £50.

It's just an example of how different ways of doing it can work out better, but it's all a means to an end of saving the most money possible to spend it on more deserving things.

• Like 1

Point is you can say that about anything.

I might say why do people spend money on holidays abroad when you could go to Devon for half the price?

Why do people spend 700 quid a month on their mortgage when they could get a tiny house in a crap area for 300 a month.

People spend their money on whatever they like. If I want to spend mine on a nice car then that's my choice.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â