What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

What's the best way to learn to drive as quickly as possible?

Don't drive as quickly as possible, that's dangerous.

trollface.jpg

On the serious, I think lessons with an attentive instructor are best for test passing purposes. Going out with siblings / parents is probably good for confidence but the quality control won't be up to scratch. A good instructor should pick you up on stuff you're doing that will stop you from passing.

Edit - Beaten to the joke, badly.

Edited by ArteSuave

Cheers and do you think two a week would be overloading or ok? I'm relatively competent to be honest, just need to hone my skills a bit, but thing is I've exams every six months so I'm studying for them about 2 months before hand so really want to blast it out. 

2 weeks is a very very short period of time to get good enough at driving to pass a test.

Although I would add that, seeing that you're irish, the standards over there seem pretty low in comparison to here (that's not a dig, that's from seeing a load of my cousins growing up and learning to drive!)

2 weeks is a very very short period of time to get good enough at driving to pass a test.

Although I would add that, seeing that you're irish, the standards over there seem pretty low in comparison to here (that's not a dig, that's from seeing a load of my cousins growing up and learning to drive!)

Ah sorry Ben, meant 2 lessons a week, not 2 weeks.

Ah gotcha!

2 lessons a week is fine. 

For reference it took me 25 (1 hour) lessons to pass my test, and I think that's fairly average (it would have been less but I failed my first test, whoops!)

If you have someone who can take you out driving in between lessons to build confidence and get you used to handling a car, then you'd probably do it in less than that. I reckon 2 lessons a week for 8-10 weeks with driving in between would give you a good chance.

It's obviously different for different people though. You say you're competent already so you might be fine in 10 lessons.

My instructor said she was teaching a girl who was on her 50th lesson and still couldn't steer properly. She was just devoid of confidence and an utter nervous wreck

I took two a week to start with and I passed 3 and a half months after my 17th birthday. Mind you it was my 3rd test.

Two hours a week isn't excessive when you're learning a skill. In fact for most things that would be considered insufficient for decent progress. Luckily, driving a car is pretty simple so that should be plenty.

Edit - I dropped to one per week after my first test as I was good enough to pass I just needed to keep it fresh in my mind.

Edited by ArteSuave

I took two a week to start with and I passed 3 and a half months after my 17th birthday. Mind you it was my 3rd test.

Two hours a week isn't excessive when you're learning a skill. In fact for most things that would be considered insufficient for decent progress. Luckily, driving a car is pretty simple so that should be plenty.

Edit - I dropped to one per week after my first test as I was good enough to pass I just needed to keep it fresh in my mind.

I'd have done about 6 - 8 lessons already but that would have been September to October. Haven't done any since but am doing about 3 hours driving a week but I feel I'm perfect some one night then then next I'll be really confident and be woeful compared to night before, think I just need to really attack it now though.

I passed my test after 8 or 9 lessons  .. i did spend a bit of time as a 16 year old driving my mates car around the co-op car park though  :)

then I learnt to drive  as the saying goes .. first thing you learn to do is drop that stupid 2 hands on the wheel lark

my dad decided he could teach me to drive properly and do away with the expense and inconvenience of lessons

about an hour later, picking bits of his Cavalier out of the back of a big red bus, apparently I'm not a natural driver!

He should have asked if I had any driving histroy, I'd previously:

put a milk float through a wall

driven / plummeted a Lambretta down the dock steps

pinged a railway bridge with a 45 seater coach 

Jenny, just go on Twitter and say something like "Oh, gosh, I REALLY love that new Mercedes SLK. Best car ever"

and they're bound to just give you one (fnarr)

BgHwZpNCMAAP8ED.jpg

the bar has been set......

Edited by chrisp65

If I was famous I'd do that with so much shit.

My mate used to work at nestle in marketing and they did that all the time. They noticed Roberto Mancini said in an interview that he liked Fruit Pastilles so they sent him crates of the things. Someone else tweeted that they liked Kit Kat Chunkies so they sent them a load of limited edition ones

I realise there's a stark difference between confectionery and cars, but still :D

Jenny, just go on Twitter and say something like "Oh, gosh, I REALLY love that new Mercedes SLK. Best car ever"

and they're bound to just give you one (fnarr)

BgHwZpNCMAAP8ED.jpg

the bar has been set......

large pockets she has ....probably a large pocket too 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â