World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

Apparently FIFA have moved to explain why attendances are above the official stadium capacity’s (especially taking into account lots of empty seats).

Some examples:

Qatar vs Ecuador – 67,372 (Stadium capacity = 60,000)

England vs Iran – 45,334 (Stadium capacity = 40,000)

Senegal vs Netherlands – 41,721 (Stadium capacity = 40,000)

USA vs Wales – 43,418 (Stadium capacity = 40,000).

BBC’s Rachel Burden revealed what she has been told by FIFA.

She tweeted: “I’ve just been contacted by a FIFA spokesperson who’s told me…capacity figure is the reference capacity that meets the FIFA requirements. The final capacity during event mode is higher (hence the mismatch).”

FiHvkiZXEAE0sy0.jpeg

The original capacities were listed as:

Lusail Stadium | 80,000 seats

Al Bayt Stadium | 60,000 seats

Al Janoub Stadium | 40,000 seats

Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium | 40,000 seats

Khalifa International Stadium | 40,000 seats

Education City Stadium | 40,000 seats

Stadium 974 | 40,000 seats

Al Thumama Stadium | 40,000 seats

And to round it off, FIFA are counting ‘tickets’ sold’ rather than fans that actually enter the stadium

In summary, FIFA and Qatar are cooking the books. Probably in an attempt to talk about how the stadiums were more full than any other World Cup. 

GiveMeSport

Edited by Genie

12 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

How many people here are actually boycotting the world cup and how many people just can't get interested in it?

Sort of. So far I've watched 1.5 games - the first half of Qatar vs Ecuador, and the whole of England vs Iran. Will probably watch England again tomorrow. Previous WCs and Euros I've watched probably 75% or more of the matches. 

Infantino is shortly becoming a small fish in a very large pond. The heavyweights are wading in.

From the EU-parliament:

MEPs describe the corruption within FIFA as “rampant, systemic and deep-rooted”
Parliament calls on Qatar and FIFA to compensate all victims of World Cup preparations
FIFA has seriously damaged the image and integrity of global football

Describing the corruption within FIFA as “rampant, systemic and deep-rooted”, MEPs also deplore that the process to award the football World Cup to Qatar in 2010 was not transparent and lacked responsible risk-assessment, and underscore how FIFA has seriously damaged the image and integrity of global football.

He can bully local FAs, he's not going to be able to bully a democratic superpower. The term pressure is an understatement, EU can and probably will cut all funding from FIFA if things don't change. That's about half of FIFA's monetary base.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Infantino is shortly becoming a small fish in a very large pond. The heavyweights are wading in.

From the EU-parliament:

He can bully local FAs, he's not going to be able to bully a democratic superpower.

About 10 years too late, this is who should have been all over the construction worker deaths, it wasn't footballs issue to fix it was a global political problem

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apparently FIFA have moved to explain why attendances are above the official stadium capacity’s (especially taking into account lots of empty seats).

Some examples:

Qatar vs Ecuador – 67,372 (Stadium capacity = 60,000)

England vs Iran – 45,334 (Stadium capacity = 40,000)

Senegal vs Netherlands – 41,721 (Stadium capacity = 40,000)

USA vs Wales – 43,418 (Stadium capacity = 40,000).

In summary, FIFA and Qatar are cooking the books. Probably in an attempt to talk about how the stadiums were more full than any other World Cup. 

GiveMeSport

Wow. Look at all of those unique and memorable stadia

At what point does The West feel they've achieved enough energy independence that they no longer need to suck up to The Middle East? 

I give it 7 years. By that time a shed load more gigantic windfarms will have come on stream. Labour will have opened up land based wind which is super cheap. There will be a ton of storage infrastructure. We'll have had a good 5 years of cheap electric cars and the second hand electric market will be mature. 

Electricity will have been decoupled from Gas so heat pumps will be dirt cheap to run and install costs will come down in price to near as damn it gas boiler costs. 

I reckon in 7 years the conversions with these people will have moved on a lot from walking on egg shells because we need their oil and gas. 

I don't see Saudi Arabia being awarded 2030 without some serious questions being asked by Governments unconcerned about upsetting the applecart. 

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

At what point does The West feel they've achieved enough energy independence that they no longer need to suck up to The Middle East? 

I give it 7 years. By that time a shed load more gigantic windfarms will have come on stream. Labour will have opened up land based wind which is super cheap. There will be a ton of storage infrastructure. We'll have had a good 5 years of cheap electric cars and the second hand electric market will be mature. 

Electricity will have been decoupled from Gas so heat pumps will be dirt cheap to run and install costs will come down in price to near as damn it gas boiler costs. 

I reckon in 7 years the conversions with these people will have moved on a lot from walking on egg shells because we need their oil and gas. 

I don't see Saudi Arabia being awarded 2030 without some serious questions being asked by Governments unconcerned about upsetting the applecart. 

I'd love if you were right, but I think we're talking 20-25 years. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd love if you were right, but I think we're talking 20-25 years. 

No way that long.  10 years max I reckon.

Russia has pushed this through earlier.

20 years will be beyond the date were supposed to stop all sales of ICE vehicles and installing new boilers but market forces will change the game well in advance of then anyway.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â