World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Ah yes, they got to the semi-finals of the only World Cup that teams didn't have to qualify for but were invited too.  Tell me, how did the fare in 12 World Cups after 1930?

When the USA was selected to host in 1994, they were by world standards not a "footballing nation"

The "current growth" you mention is a direct result of them hosting in 94.  Who knows, maybe in 30 years you'll be lauding over the growth of the QSL, one of the fastest growing leagues in Asia.

I mean, for a start, they've appeared in the majority of them :D

And perhaps not a "footballing nation", but you'd still be able to name some American players who played for the US at that World Cup.  I mean, it's just not the same as Qatar at all.

The word is that they made the decision about the beers directly at stadiums late as they started getting worried about Hooligan's going mental and wreaking havoc.

I'll admit that the last minute change ain't a good look at all though. They've had 12 years to plan this.

Hopefully the Fanzones and bars can somehwat bridge the gap.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean, for a start, they've appeared in the majority of them :D

And perhaps not a "footballing nation", but you'd still be able to name some American players who played for the US at that World Cup.  I mean, it's just not the same as Qatar at all.

Are you saying that you have never heard of Qatar's star player.... Akram Afif 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The word is that they made the decision about the beers directly at stadiums late as they started getting worried about Hooligan's going mental and wreaking havoc.

I'll admit that the last.minuye change ain't a good look at all though. They've had 12 years to plan this.

Hopefully the Fanzones and bars can somehwat bridge the gap.

Can't blame them.

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&s=fe294003c188f0eedc2ba41510aed497

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The Danes wouldn't support spending 6 gazzilion quid so Infantino could bathe in goat's milk. That is the issue for FIFA, IOC etc. They want to be treated in a corrupt manner, something which won't happen if you put the tournament in Scandinavia. It's not long since IOC turned Norway\Sweden\Denmark down for the winter games due to them wanting to use already built infrastructure and for the fact that officials had to sort their own stuff out. They picked Russia\China and France instead.

That wasnt really my point 😉

Was more the size of the country

16 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Agreed. As someone above mentioned, Arabs love football. I used to live in Dubai and I remember a massive poster of Salah going up outside one of the malls when he won the PL golden boot or player of the season or something. I think it was a good idea to get the WC into the Middle East but surely there are better options than Qatar. 

Not on social justice issues. Infrastructure wise there are bigger countries like Saudi or Iran but both would have brought significant baggage of their own. 

• Like 1

the cynic in me says if they made this decision 12 years ago then the WC would simply not be being played there, regardless of how many backhanders were offered

it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was the plan all along. get to the point of no return then do a supposed u turn

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was the plan all along. get to the point of no return then do a supposed u turn

Sadly... This is possible.

Again... As a biased member who's been fiercely defending the place.... I hope they can make up for it via Fanzones, events and bars etc.

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the cynic in me says if they made this decision 12 years ago then the WC would simply not be being played there, regardless of how many backhanders were offered

100% this. Was always the plan.

22 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

The Netflix documentary said the old timers on the committee knew they would be gone by 2018 so would take the bribes and be away from the shitstorm for others to clean up

29 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Not on social justice issues. Infrastructure wise there are bigger countries like Saudi or Iran but both would have brought significant baggage of their own. 

Israel would have been an interesting option.

Am sure Blatter would have went with Israel/Palestine co hosts to get that Nobel Prize he wanted

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Agreed. As someone above mentioned, Arabs love football. 

They do, but there are less Arabs in Qatar than Maltese in Malta - amongst a number of other massive red flags is that this isn't really a nation in the way that any other world cup host has been, taking the example mentioned further up the page, this isn't like holding the world cup in Denmark, it's like holding the world cup in Aarhus.

• Like 1

So…..few days out from this, who’s your winner ? I’m going to go with Brazil. Don’t think their group is particularly taxing and they’ll have learned from taking their eye off the ball against Belgium 4 years ago. 

Dark horse - Denmark. Core of the side remains from the Euro semi final appearance and added a few. Probably one of the most impressive teams in UEFA qualifying for the WC. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â