World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

11 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Which is fair enough, Morocco were rumoured to have won their bid when SA got the cup from that dodgy NZ-delegate. It would be really good for one of the more decent countries in the Arabic world (Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt etc) to get it, rather than a rich Sheikh with a reputation to launder.

New Zealand delegate was 2006 his withdrawal sent it to Germany

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Will this be the first tournament that they wont hire a specific cameraman to search the stadium for beautiful women in the crowd

That's always annoyed me, the girls they zoom in on are always planted there 😂

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

My bad, the corruption in FIFA is so rife that I can't separate the years.. 

South Africa wheeled Mandela out at the last minute when it was clear he was in no condition to be globetrotting

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Because it's a rhetorical question and completely irrelevant.

But you're saying the US has no interest in football culture...

...which is demonstrably incorrect as a] they were at the first ever World Cup and b] attendances are growing year on year, making the MLS one of the fastest growing sports leagues in the World.  So they have both a rooted interest in football and also current growth.

1 hour ago, handsworthvilla said:

It's pretty pathetic to do this 2 days before the tournament starts. An announcement at any point in the 12 years since they were awarded the hosting rights would have been preferable. 

This really is quite a depressing world cup isn't it? I've seen every one since 98 and never felt like this heading in to one before. 

I usually get really emotionally invested in international tournaments (98 being the first one I remember as well). It’s so sad just to not care about it. Such a waste. 

41 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But you're saying the US has no interest in football culture...

...which is demonstrably incorrect as a] they were at the first ever World Cup and b] attendances are growing year on year, making the MLS one of the fastest growing sports leagues in the World.  So they have both a rooted interest in football and also current growth.

Ah yes, they got to the semi-finals of the only World Cup that teams didn't have to qualify for but were invited too.  Tell me, how did the fare in 12 World Cups after 1930?

When the USA was selected to host in 1994, they were by world standards not a "footballing nation"

The "current growth" you mention is a direct result of them hosting in 94.  Who knows, maybe in 30 years you'll be lauding over the growth of the QSL, one of the fastest growing leagues in Asia.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Beer and football have gone hand in hand pretty much forever. People like to consume some beers watching either in the stadium or at home. 

48 hours before the start having it banned from the stadiums is just lunacy.

I expect once it’s over and all the FIFA delegates are safely back at home FIFA will  slate the place and vow never to do it this way again.

It’s not banned from the stadium completely. It’s still allowed in the corporate seats so the FIFA boys should be sorted 👍

The football culture thing is a bit overblown. USA in 94, Japan, South Africa and now Qatar were not at the time football nations

Only South Africa have not really improved since hosting. Issue is they are a lot bigger countries than Qatar so hosting wasnt a problem. If FIFA decided to host the next World Cup in Denmark it would be similar issues

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The football culture thing is a bit overblown. USA in 94, Japan, South Africa and now Qatar were not at the time football nations

Only South Africa have not really improved since hosting. Issue is they are a lot bigger countries than Qatar so hosting wasnt a problem. If FIFA decided to host the next World Cup in Denmark it would be similar issues

The Danes wouldn't support spending 6 gazzilion quid so Infantino could bathe in goat's milk. That is the issue for FIFA, IOC etc. They want to be treated in a corrupt manner, something which won't happen if you put the tournament in Scandinavia. It's not long since IOC turned Norway\Sweden\Denmark down for the winter games due to them wanting to use already built infrastructure and for the fact that officials had to sort their own stuff out. They picked Russia\China and France instead.

Edited by magnkarl

There was a decision made some years back to rotate the hosting around the different confederations (this time is Asia, next one is North America, last one was South America etc).

“History of footballing culture” is not the main metric for choosing a host but Qatar was a ridiculous choice for the latest Asian host for a number of reasons.

The main advantage they had was a Europe friendly time zone compared with the other Asian bids and the promise to donate their stadiums to other confederations after the tournament had finished (i.e. they had financial clout). 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Agreed. As someone above mentioned, Arabs love football. I used to live in Dubai and I remember a massive poster of Salah going up outside one of the malls when he won the PL golden boot or player of the season or something. I think it was a good idea to get the WC into the Middle East but surely there are better options than Qatar. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â