World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

46 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I don't support the WC being in Qatar. I don't like Qatar's politics.

But Arabs are crazy about football. They have a huge interest in it. I'm not talking about ruling classes - I am talking about regular people.

There is a case for a WC being held in the Arab world (obviously this Qatar bullshit is all wrong) because football SHOULD be for the people around the world. Not just Germans or Brits, but for Africans or Asians. 

So the idea is right. But that's about it.  

I don’t support it either but you do bring some interesting points up.  Similar to this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I'm fully aware who is hosting the 2026 World Cup, my point was around 'football culture'. 

It could be argued that the 50 million people in the USA who watch football now, do so because the sport was allowed to grow after they hosted it in 1994, you would deny this to Qatar?

Hey, how come you're ignoring my point about the USA being semi-finalists in the very first World Cup back in 1930?  Does it not align or something?

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

While true they didnt qualify since 1986 before they were awarded hosting rights

Sure. I'm not making any great claims for Canada's footballing culture - though it is growing, from a very low base - all I'm saying it has more of a football culture than Qatar, and is a less ridiculous host. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Beers and booze will be available at Fanzones within 5 - 10 minutes away from stadiums ffs.

The headlines make it seem like they've banned alchohol altogether all over the country 😂

They've purposely framed the last few headlines I've seen as " Alchohol is BANNED in Qatar " 

🤦🏿‍♂️

Probably more to do with the fact that they agreed to serve in the grounds and a few days before the tournament is due to start reneged on that promise where FIFA don't have much choice but to except.

But on the other hand I can see why Qatar might be a bit pissed as that they're being criticised left, right and center on all manner of things even after relaxing their drinking rules to try and appease us, so they're probably like sod it. 

Edited by TreeVillan

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Probably more to do with the fact that they agreed to serve in the grounds and a few days before the tournament is due to start reneged on that promise where FIFA don't have much choice but to except.

But on the other hand I can see why Qatar might be a bit pissed 

They might be but no one else will be

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

But on the other hand I can see why Qatar might be a bit pissed as that they're being criticised left, right and center on all manner of things even after relaxing their drinking rules to try and appease us, so they're probably like sod it. 

My understanding was it was never in the ground but that the fanzone was at least directly outside the ground

They then changed the location of the fanzones that could serve beer last week, not only are bud losing sales they literally had to movd all of their beer tents because they were set up and ready to go and now the emir has said no

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well... You can always come to my place and get loaded ... Then head to a fanzone close by... Then have some Bud zero at the stadium for placebo effect 😂

IMG-20221118-WA0010-min.jpg

are the fanzones not close to the stadium perimeters then?

then you get the issue of hotels and whatnot pushing their prices up because it's one of the few places to get a drink

• Like 1

It's pretty pathetic to do this 2 days before the tournament starts. An announcement at any point in the 12 years since they were awarded the hosting rights would have been preferable. 

This really is quite a depressing world cup isn't it? I've seen every one since 98 and never felt like this heading in to one before. 

• Like 1

Qatar has a population of just under 3,000,000.

I'm interested - in terms of that population, how it breaks down, how many are migrant workers, how many are newly immigrated and how many are historically 'Qatari'? 

From a quick google, the suggestion is that only around 10% of the population are "Qatari" (apparently 28% are Indian) which would mean we're f***ing the World Cup for the benefit of a group of people smaller than the population of Coventry.

46 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t support it either but you do bring some interesting points up.  Similar to this

That isn't very good from Piers Morgan, and I've no idea what Simon Jordan thinks is good about it.

He abandons the debate "because". Guys a muppet.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Beer and football have gone hand in hand pretty much forever. People like to consume some beers watching either in the stadium or at home. 

48 hours before the start having it banned from the stadiums is just lunacy.

I expect once it’s over and all the FIFA delegates are safely back at home FIFA will  slate the place and vow never to do it this way again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I don't support the WC being in Qatar. I don't like Qatar's politics.

But Arabs are crazy about football. They have a huge interest in it. I'm not talking about ruling classes - I am talking about regular people.

There is a case for a WC being held in the Arab world (obviously this Qatar bullshit is all wrong) because football SHOULD be for the people around the world. Not just Germans or Brits, but for Africans or Asians. 

So the idea is right. But that's about it.  

Which is fair enough, Morocco were rumoured to have won their bid when SA got the cup from that dodgy NZ-delegate. It would be really good for one of the more decent countries in the Arabic world (Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt etc) to get it, rather than a rich Sheikh with a reputation to launder.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Qatar has a population of just under 3,000,000.

I'm interested - in terms of that population, how it breaks down, how many are migrant workers, how many are newly immigrated and how many are historically 'Qatari'? 

From a quick google, the suggestion is that only around 10% of the population are "Qatari" (apparently 28% are Indian) which would mean we're f***ing the World Cup for the benefit of a group of people smaller than the population of Coventry.

Yep pretty much it.  And they don't even have the Specials.

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

That isn't very good from Piers Morgan, and I've no idea what Simon Jordan thinks is good about it.

He abandons the debate "because". Guys a muppet.

Yeah it’s another one of those clips which stops just as the other person appears to be about to counter the point being made.

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Hey, how come you're ignoring my point about the USA being semi-finalists in the very first World Cup back in 1930?  Does it not align or something?

Because it's a rhetorical question and completely irrelevant.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â